Please help... My Galaxy S4 won't let me enable Wi-Fi

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Internal SD Memory the Path /data/misc/wifi/ the File named wpa_supplicant.conf is having issue.
Not going to guess what what was done on your side only that wifi cannot read that file so it just shuts off.
you need root to view this file, I suggest renaming it, reboot then enable wifi again and it will create a new one.
you will lose all saved passwords from the beginning of time but will be able to use wifi again.

Yea sounds like the ota had rewritten that file and corrupted it seems like it basically broke the kernel had the same when I flashed deadly venom re flashed my kernel moduels bingo

I'm having the same problem, but I don't understand that response about the path???? Can you translate into layman's terms? I do seem to get some wifi though, even though it says it's not on. Just takes FOREVER if at all!

Your going to have to root it and use a file explorer you must root because that's a system file and without super users access you cannot rewrite system files

I'm having the exact same problem. Tried the battery trick, searched other forums, nothing. Anyone found a solution to this? It's driving me crazy.

OK two options.... root and fix it yourself
Send it in for warranty or find a samsung experience professional at a best buy to reset your device (you need a clean kernel flash for the radios to work properly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

qzal

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Please help... My Galaxy S4 wo'nt let me enable Wi-Fi

Hi metle_geek,

could you please tell me how can i acces the internal memory AFTER the root ??? my problem right now is that i can?t download any app to my android, because of the same Wi-Fi issue.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

qzal

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

Ok, I found out the way of getting Root Explorer in my android, and changed the File named: "wpa_supplicant.conf" as described, then turned off and on the phone, but wouldn?t work.... unfortunately the symbol of "Wi-Fi" still stays with the message :"Turning on..." and does nothing more.... do anybody has any hint to fix this?

Last edited:

Bobby Marinov

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site

Try to do this: Restart your phone and while restarting plug out the battery and after that plug in the battery.

rigelias

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
This is the best solution and not only for S4 but for every samsung device with similar WiFi problem.

Stephen Griffiths
Internal SD Memory the Path /data/misc/wifi/ the File named wpa_supplicant.conf is having issue.
Not going to guess what what was done on your side only that wifi cannot read that file so it just shuts off.
you need root to view this file, I suggest renaming it, reboot then enable wifi again and it will create a new one.
you will lose all saved passwords from the beginning of time but will be able to use wifi again.

THANK YOU

Bashar Athamneh

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

Hi Guys and very good morning
I hope you doing well and this problem was solved if not this what I have done to solve my problem
Please follow the steps below
1. go to recovery mode by pressing power+middle key (home key+ and the High volume for few second until recovery mode appear
2. go to option wipe cache and press on it
3. go to option refractory and press on it
4. switch your mobile off
5. take your sim card and SD card
6. download the firmwire that you want from Firmwares | SamMobile then select appropriate firmwire for you
7. download Odin if you don't have one from here Download Odin 3.09
8. flash your mobile as normal if you don't know how...please let me know and I will help
9. on completion of flashing turn your mobile on and start the initial steps to setup your mobile
10 don't insert your card or sim card until you finish your setup
switch your mobile off and insert sim and SD CARD
WIfi is working now?

please let me know

good luck
BA

Kilva

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site

For those that have this problem. I had the same thing so I removed the battery and after I put it back in and turned it on I could get my Wi-Fi to turn back on.

I have tried both of these solutions, on two different roms: 4.2 Jellybean and 4.4.2 KitKat, where previously Wi-Fi had worked fine on the stock rom and my first Cyanogen mod. That mod is actually what caused all of this, an OTA update went wonky and soft bricked my phone, so I went through painstakingly figuring out how to restore it through download mode and I did it. I have custom roms I can go to now and such, but this was my one problem. Wi-Fi just wouldn't turn on. wpa_supplicant.conf is in both /data/misc/wifi and /system/etc/wifi. there's even a wpa.supplicant overlay file along with it.

Turns out all I had to do was rename it, because indeed, the file needed to be rewritten. Thanks Stephen.

My phone is a Bell Canadian Galaxy S4 SGH_i337M.

Last edited:

Solari13

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site

I have tried both of these solutions, on two different roms: 4.2 Jellybean and 4.4.2 KitKat, where previously Wi-Fi had worked fine on the stock rom and my first Cyanogen mod. That mod is actually what caused all of this, an OTA update went wonky and soft bricked my phone, so I went through painstakingly figuring out how to restore it through download mode and I did it. I have custom roms I can go to now and such, but this was my one problem. Wi-Fi just wouldn't turn on. wpa_supplicant.conf is in both /data/misc/wifi and /system/etc/wifi. there's even a wpa.supplicant overlay file along with it.

Turns out all I had to do was rename it, because indeed, the file needed to be rewritten. Thanks Stephen.

My phone is a Bell Canadian Galaxy S4 SGH_i337M.

Hi,

Please someone explain how to access that file to rename it. I am not able to use my wi-fi on my GT-19505 s4 galaxy.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Kilva

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site

Hi,

Please someone explain how to access that file to rename it. I am not able to use my wi-fi on my GT-19505 s4 galaxy.

Thanks!!

1. Root your phone
2. Download Root Explorer.apk, put it on your phone via USB, install it
3. navigate to either /data/misc/wifi or /system/etc/wifi
4. rename or delete wpa_supplicant.conf
4.5. reboot
5. ???
6. PROFIT!

Chandan Tamrakar1

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site

i did the following

1. rooted and removed the wpa_supplicant.conf file
2. reboot
3.It will create new wpa_supplicant.conf file

This will work and we can see that wifi-button is enabled but when you reboot it seems the phone can not again access the file(wpa_supplicant.conf) and the button is disabled again
So do we need to change the file permission so that button is enabled permanently?

renaud83

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site

1. Root your phone
4.5. reboot
5. ???
6. PROFIT!

Thanks a Lot!! This is the solution for the light green/frozen wifi issue. Was a headache!! Dont try other things. This is the real solution for it. No factory reset, no battery,...

Chandan Tamrakar

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site

It works but when I restart the phone "wifi button" is disabled again . So i have to delete the "wpa_supplicant.conf" again everytime i restart
It seems to be some permission issue ?

1. Root your phone
4.5. reboot
5. ???
6. PROFIT!

deborah3756

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Try turnin off mobile data then connect the wi-fi. Samsung says the new update should fix the problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using AC Forums mobile app

MisterXtm

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

1. Root your phone
4.5. reboot
5. ???
6. PROFIT!

Hi! I've tried all this, renamed the file both in system and in data and it doesn't recreate them on reboot. Any idea why it doesn't or some other workaround to fix the wifi issue?

Thanks!

EDIT: I did some research on this, but it didn't help me any further. Maybe somebody here can:

CatLog shows following errors:
WifiHW: return of insmod : ret = -1, No such device
WifiStateMachine: Failed to load driver
WifiStateMachine: sendErrorBroadcast code:10

For me it seems the issue already starts before loading the .conf-file, which actually seems to be fine. wlan0 is missing though. In my oppinion this is causing all the other problems. Maybe a boot log could help. I couldn't find a way to look at or save it though..

I'm using the following stock firmware at the moment: I9505XXUFNB8_I9505OXAFNB8_I9505XXUFNB8_HOME.tar.md5
Until today the phone wasn't rooted and the problems didn't start with an update, if I can recall corectly. I waited on the new OTA update (4.4.2), hoping it would solve the wi-fi issue, but it didn't. Only then I started rooting and digging..

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Spacemanben

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Mine made a new supplicant and I compared the two. Change the line "ctrl_interface=wlan0" to "ctrl_interface=/data/misc/wifi/sockets"
That seems to be the error within the supplicant file itself.

The wlan0 reference is a bug as far as I can tell.

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterXtm

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Mine made a new supplicant and I compared the two. Change the line "ctrl_interface=wlan0" to "ctrl_interface=/data/misc/wifi/sockets"
That seems to be the error within the supplicant file itself.

The wlan0 reference is a bug as far as I can tell.

Thanks for your answer. Can you tell me what else you have in your .conf-file? I tried changing it, but after a restart the wlan0 is there again. Also: what file did you change? The /data/misc/wifi or /settings/etc/wifi one?

I described my issue in detail over here: [Q] Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE (I9505) - Update to 4.4.2, wifi problems remaining - xda-developers. As you can see, I would be also interested in the contents of /data/.cid.info.

Thanks again!

Spacemanben

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I changed the \misc\wifi one. Further reading and experimenting makes me believe this is an issue we will need to wait for Samsung to fix.

Alternatively you could flash a custom rom onto your advice, tho I take no responsibility for any problems you have if you do that. ( Insert standard disclaimer here)

Ill look at my phone and try and put up the contents of those two files, but i flashed the ROM, so no guarantees its the same.

Last edited:

Spacemanben

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
The files are as follows...

data\misc\wifi\wpa_supplicant.conf

ctrl_interface=/data/misc/wifi/sockets
disable_scan_offload=1
update_config=1
device_name=liquid_jflte
manufacturer=samsung
model_name=GT-I9505
model_number=GT-I9505
serial_number=2405af88
device_type=10-0050F204-5
config_methods=physical_display virtual_push_button
p2p_disabled=1

(Previously saved access point details are here in the file. Not sharing those. Sorry.)

. Cid.Info

semcosh

Let me know if you need anything else...

On a side note I moved to a custom ROM and my wifi is fine now. Definately a software issue. A custom ROM may be a good answer, if you wanna go down that path.
Again, standard disclaimers apply. I'm not responsible, etc....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol