Please help... My Galaxy S4 won't let me enable Wi-Fi

Ian Freeman

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Was there any other fixes you this problem?
My mum is having the problem with the s4, taken battery or worn it still turned on, and turned off. Didn't work. Nor did the restarting or turning off then on.
She hasn't rooted it.
Only one I haven't tried is the apps she's downloaded

Pioter Misiuna

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I tried renaming file, and cleaning all connectors, same effect. Switch goes to the right, text shows all the time "wifi is turning on" even when after few seconds switch goes back to off. It actually started gradually, sometimes cutting off connection. Now it doesn't work at all. Any ideas?

tg123z

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
Re: Please help... My Galaxy S4 wo'nt let me enable Wi-Fi

I'm having the same issue and followed the instructions. The wifi still will not activate and the file was not regenerated. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Ravi Shankar15

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Thank you so much for your help!
but there is one concern Please help me i can't find a way to rename it! I had rooted my galaxy S4 by king root.
i downloaded an application Called "Elixir 2" then i can veiw the files in "data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf" but there is not a single option to remove or rename it.

I am facing this issue from last 6 months, I need to solve it!

PLEASE HELP ME! :-

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue on my android tablet. Please help me to fix this !!!

I have the same issue on my android tablet. I can't remove the battery because this is a tablet. I can't even find the suggested file on the sd card. What can I do?

fubeca12

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Read it all, tried many, found easy solution

I read this whole thread and tried everything except rooting. I'm not ready to root this s4 yet.

Immediate fix was to go to my app manager and on all apps that had the "uninstall updates" option I selected that.

Once that was fin done I restarted my phone and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth have worked as normal.

I figured that deleting all apps with Wi-Fi or BT access was harder and longer so the uninstall updates was my quick fix try.

Also I reconfirmed that i turned off auto-update apps. Hope this resurrects this dead thread and gives someone a simpler fix than rooting, file deletions and renaming, dialing that code to access the Wi-Fi power switch and such, it was looking too detailed.

Last edited:

ev1ltruth

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
I had this same problem on my S4 GT-I9505 for a few days, booted into safe mode and bluetooth and wifi work just fine so it is a problem with an app/apps.

For my phone it was Chrome browser app that was causing the issue (actually it was an update to chrome).

I would try booting into safe mode, go to settings/application manager and disable/uninstall updates for chrome and any other software you cant delete and see if that works. At the very least you'll save 100Mb or so of space.

Hope this helps

asgaransari

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi ...

Had the same issue. Tried the battery trick.. Got a lead from that internal memory card path thing.

Removed the battery while phone was running and also the SD card.. WIFI started up right away !!

Thanks
Asgar

Ster Ling Psg

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
Original Post by Kilva:

Hi,

Thanks!!
1. Root your phone
2. Download Root Explorer.apk, put it on your phone via USB, install it
3. navigate to either /data/misc/wifi or /system/etc/wifi
4. rename or delete wpa_supplicant.conf
4.5. reboot
5. ???
6. PROFIT!
------------------------------------

Kilva, you're my life saver, thanks!

I just renamed /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf, then my WIFI works! I have tried restarting my cell several times, no problems. No factory reset, so lucky! Mine is Galaxy Note I (N7000 or I717), Android 4.1.2.

This is my first time to root a phone. I installed Kingo Android Root on my Windows 7, then downloaded Root Browsers from Play Store. So easy to enable / disable rooting.

Thanks again!

Guys this is innovative it works for those who have wifi problems by this I mean it's something like "when you swipe down the notification bar and try to toggle wifi om as quickly as possible, it would sometimes give you a faint green light instead of pure green to show wifi is on " here is the solution >>>>>> download kingo root .apk. go to security settings scroll down to "unknown sources " enable it then install kingo root . After that click on "one click root" your phone will be rooted now step2. Download Root explorer from Google apps install then try locate a file named
wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf delete it then restart your device .your wifi turning on problems shall be solved 100% now back to life you can thank me through my number +254705047487 God bless y'all.

rohinn

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Put it in safe mode, if you don't know how to do that heres how:
Turn off your phone, after u turn it off turn it on, and hold the power key until you see the Galaxy s4 logo, when you see that hold down the volume button until it turns on!

Guys this is innovative it works for those who have wifi problems by this I mean it's something like "when you swipe down the notification bar and try to toggle wifi om as quickly as possible, it would sometimes give you a faint green light instead of pure green to show wifi is on " here is the solution >>>>>> download kingo root .apk. go to security settings scroll down to "unknown sources " enable it then install kingo root . After that click on "one click root" your phone will be rooted now step2. Download Root explorer from Google apps install then try locate a file named
wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf delete it then restart your device .your wifi turning on problems shall be solved 100% now back to life you can thank me through my number +254705047487 God bless y'all.

I also did that but it didnt work for my galaxy s4, I watched like a ton of videos and re did it but it didnt work but turning on safe mode did ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

Growterz A

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
Re: Please help... My Galaxy S4 wo'nt let me enable Wi-Fi

Internal SD Memory the Path /data/misc/wifi/ the File named wpa_supplicant.conf is having issue.
Not going to guess what what was done on your side only that wifi cannot read that file so it just shuts off.
you need root to view this file, I suggest renaming it, reboot then enable wifi again and it will create a new one.
you will lose all saved passwords from the beginning of time but will be able to use wifi again.
Yeah so just you know i tried every method to root my s4 but it wont work

Mahendrar

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
Strangest fault, can't enable Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Hotspot or Bluetooth... When I pull down the screen from the top to bring up the quick select enable menu Wi-Fi will not turn on, it is preselected and a very light green colour instead of a grey for disabled or bright green when it is enabled... Holding the Wi-Fi button down and entering the option doesn't help either as it says "turning on" but does nothing... the toggle switch to turn Wi-Fi on also does nothing.
I have reset the device several times and have also now tried a factory reset... which I really didn't want to do and it still hasn't helped. I have searched forums and google for any sign of this same fault and found nothing. I also can't enable portable Wi-Fi hotspot or Bluetooth... Can someone please advise?

I tried this and it works but again after sleeping next day wakeup I have to re do this process...

This does not need any factory reset, restart the phone . Just simple

1. Switch your phone mode to aeroplane mode.
2. Now say ok to enable the flight mode.
3. Now enable try enable the wifi, it will get enabled.
4. Now switch of the flight mode.
5. Now you van see your wifi if enabled.

Do this simple trick when ever wifi gets automatically disabled.

Thanks
Mahendra

Last edited by a moderator:

majoret

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
I had the same issue for several days.
Turning Airplane mode ON/OFF fixed the issue.

I hope it helps some of you as well. Good luck!

am50em

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
After returning home after OS flight my wifi would not switch on. It worked perfectly OS. I did use flight mode on flight. I discovered the turning wifi on while in in flight mode or turning on Mobile hotspot then turning on wifi (which switched mobile hotspot off) I could get wifi running. Hardly ideal.
Just discovered under Advanced settings for wifi, that turning off "Always allow scanning" has fixed the problem and wifi switches off and on normally. This is for Galaxy S4 running Android 5.0.1

Lucas Chen Alba

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone. I had this problem after returning to official rom, used Odin v3.185. My problem was solved when i reinstalled the OS using Odin v3.09, not really sure why that happened. If any of you r still having problems with this, u can try it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star