Please help... My Galaxy S4 won't let me enable Wi-Fi

coryh131

May 2, 2013
Visit site
My wifi and hot spot would not work but my Bluetooth would. Pulling the battery out while the phone was still on did the trick! Thanks everyone for your recommendations!!!!!!

And to JeepMia97's point - I think I had just updated LinkedIn when my wifi stopped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akbar Arshad

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I have been using a s4 i9505 for about a month. It was amazing and perfect until yesterday, when I faced the same issue as you're facing. Though my bluetooth switch was working. I did a lot of googling and research but couldnt find the solution. This morning I factory reset my phone and then the problem was solved. Try resetting your phone twice. It will work

Rebecca Courdy

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
What Kevin Spring 1 said totally worked for me. Removing the battery took care of the problem and I was having all the same difficulties that were listed above his comment.

Thanks Kevin Spring 1!

ian2013

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: Please help... My Galaxy S4 wo'nt let me enable Wi-Fi

Mite have to do a warranty exchange

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app

Simple fix. Take the battery out while the is still on and let it sit for 10 seconds. Than put it back in and start it back up. Should work.

Massimo51

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I had the same situation and here's my story and how to fix it.

I opened a new line with T-Mobile back when the Galaxy S4 first arrived. I purchased it brand new on the pay as you go plan. Around December last year, my brand new T-Mobile Galaxy S4 was stolen. I had insurance so i had it replaced (at the cost of $175 of course). What was sent to me was a refurbished Galaxy S4 (this is almost always the case).

I'll be honest, i had both my current phone and my last phone rooted. It was a risk i had taken many times before and never had any problems with. However, in this past year, Samsung has introduced Knox security, which essentially trips something in the phone which will give away that you modified your phone's firmware. This is what prevented me from just using warranty to get the phone fixed through T-Mobile or replaced.

What's important to know here is that the cause of the problem was not that the phone had been rooted because my original brand new phone was also rooted and working perfectly only it was stolen. This only prevented me from having T-Mobile fix the problem with the WiFi and Bluetooth because the Knox security would alert them and they would deny me service on those grounds.

The actual problem and here's what you all need to know is that since my phone was refurbished a few parts had been replaced internally in particular the WiFi antenna was not the OEM antenna and it was the problem.

I took my phone in to a local cell phone shop repair and the guy there was nice enough to pull apart my phone free of charge and he did one simple thing that i never would have thought to do. He unplugged the wifi/bluetooth antenna and plugged it back in and then turned on the phone and tada the wifi/bluetooth worked again. The issue where the wifi and bluetooth wouldn't turn on went away. He told me if it ever happened again, i may have to replace the wifi antenna.

I've had to repeat his process a few times since then, which is not difficult, but the fact that i have to do it at all is taking me to the next step where i'm going to purchase a new antenna .

The antenna is located to the right of the battery compartment. If you look up a video on youtube on disassembly of the galaxy s4, you can see how to remove it easily with a small screwdriver to access it.

glindsay65

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Like many here, the battery pull worked for me.

Specifically, I turned off the phone; pulled the battery; waited 30 seconds or so; put the battery back; powered on.

All better for now.

SithBthis

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello ALL, I have been an Iphone guy for far to long, so I decided to switch to The galaxy S4. Its a little out dated now, but I fell in love. Now Im having this wifi issue. I have done everything from taking out the battery to factory resetting. And nothing works, and when It does work after the factory reset it only works for a little while then back to the wifi issue. I am running an unlocked galaxy s4 from ATT but Im using T-mobile on it as of a week ago. Im using the pre-paid plan. Anyways I heard the rooting thing works but I get so lost when I look into it because im not that savy at stuff like this. So I joined hoping someone could walk me through it or point me in the right direction. Please get back to me as this problem is a big issue! Thank you.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello ALL, I have been an Iphone guy for far to long, so I decided to switch to The galaxy S4. Its a little out dated now, but I fell in love. Now Im having this wifi issue. I have done everything from taking out the battery to factory resetting. And nothing works, and when It does work after the factory reset it only works for a little while then back to the wifi issue. I am running an unlocked galaxy s4 from ATT but Im using T-mobile on it as of a week ago. Im using the pre-paid plan. Anyways I heard the rooting thing works but I get so lost when I look into it because im not that savy at stuff like this. So I joined hoping someone could walk me through it or point me in the right direction. Please get back to me as this problem is a big issue! Thank you.

Dude what router are you using? Try this go to mc.donalds star bucks anywhere they have wifi if it connects there then it's your router at home some are geared more for Apple stuff and Sam sung doesn't always play nice with linksis or try an Un secured wifi if it connects then it's an encryption issue seems samys hard ware doesn't play nice with linksis products

Wilfred Ortega

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
ok, i had to sign up just to post this in the hope it helps others.

my problem was the wifi button wouldnt turn on no matter what i did, i switched it on and it would switch off. anyhow...people suggested to root the phone then rename a wifi file and it will fix the problem. again this didnt work, i didnt have a clue on how to root, but after 5 hours i feel like an expert hehe. i managed to unroot the phone back to stock.

i got speaking with a fella from another forum, he suggested dialing *#0011# and enter the service menu, from there hit the menu button and choose wifi, then turn off WiFi Power Saver Mode. i did this and exited. i then tried the wifi, it never worked but i then re dialed *#0011# and entered the service menu once more, hit the menu button and choose wifi, then turned on WiFi Power Saver Mode. after doing this it has worked flawlessly ever since. doing this resets the wifi cache. so in short disable WiFi Power Saver Mode then exit, then enable WiFi Power Saver Mode again.

i thought i would post a solution that worked first time for me, like i say i tried rooting and unrooting but nothing worked. i only hope this will work for you.

please reply if this helps you in anyway so others can benefit.

thanks.

worked for my phone.thanks !

Moltres_rider

Banned
Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
same problem, it would NOT let me enable wifi, not in the drop down menu nor the device settings, as soon as I tried to turn it on, it would automatically switch off both places. a battery pull while the phone was on fixed it... until next time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL