Please help... My Galaxy S4 won't let me enable Wi-Fi

scatteredmac

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Strangest fault, can't enable Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Hotspot or Bluetooth... When I pull down the screen from the top to bring up the quick select enable menu Wi-Fi will not turn on, it is preselected and a very light green colour instead of a grey for disabled or bright green when it is enabled... Holding the Wi-Fi button down and entering the option doesn't help either as it says "turning on" but does nothing... the toggle switch to turn Wi-Fi on also does nothing.
I have reset the device several times and have also now tried a factory reset... which I really didn't want to do and it still hasn't helped. I have searched forums and google for any sign of this same fault and found nothing. I also can't enable portable Wi-Fi hotspot or Bluetooth... Can someone please advise?

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: Please help... My Galaxy S4 wo'nt let me enable Wi-Fi

Strangest fault, can't enable Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Hotspot or Bluetooth... When I pull down the screen from the top to bring up the quick select enable menu Wi-Fi will not turn on, it is preselected and a very light green colour instead of a grey for disabled or bright green when it is enabled... Holding the Wi-Fi button down and entering the option doesn't help either as it says "turning on" but does nothing... the toggle switch to turn Wi-Fi on also does nothing.
I have reset the device several times and have also now tried a factory reset... which I really didn't want to do and it still hasn't helped. I have searched forums and google for any sign of this same fault and found nothing. I also can't enable portable Wi-Fi hotspot or Bluetooth... Can someone please advise?

Take it back and have it swapped. I would not waste anymore time resetting.

haroony2j

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

Hi there,

I have exactly the same problem! I try tapping the wi-fi icon from the drop down and it refuses to enable I have the same problem with the wi-fi hot spot too! Funnily enough the blue tooth icon works fine. Turned the phone on and off but hasn't resolved the issue. This bug just appeared out of nowhere today, not sure if this is covered under any samsung warranty? Terrible bug this is.

Tommy Larsson

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site

I have the same problem and i am on a vacation, far away from the place where i bought it.
I have tried to reinstall twice with the factory settings.

Larissa Hughes

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

I am having the same problem.. I have had the S4 since not long after it was released and I have never had a problem with it until this morning when my wifi wouldnt connect.. it is the same as yours with the dull green instead of bright and wont open up and near by wireless devices.. Did you fix yours? If so how? I have tired factory reset numerous times and it hasnt done a thing for it.. Someone please get back to me asap

serious_xoom

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

My S4 started doing exactly the same thing the day before yesterday after an OTA update. What did they break? Anyone?

It seems to do it after a time asleep. And then it wont turn back on manually and I have to reboot. My fone is wifi broke. What a pain. It was fantastic until that OTA

Davefun78

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

I am having the same issue where I can not select and turn on wifi which is severely hampering my use of the phone, has anyone had any lucky with resetting the phone? or do I need to go back to where I bought it and get it replaced? sounds identical to the op's issue, thanks.

Stephen Griffiths

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

Internal SD Memory the Path /data/misc/wifi/ the File named wpa_supplicant.conf is having issue.
Not going to guess what what was done on your side only that wifi cannot read that file so it just shuts off.
you need root to view this file, I suggest renaming it, reboot then enable wifi again and it will create a new one.
you will lose all saved passwords from the beginning of time but will be able to use wifi again.

halliesm

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

I'm having the same problem, but I don't understand that response about the path???? Can you translate into layman's terms? I do seem to get some wifi though, even though it says it's not on. Just takes FOREVER if at all!

NitekiD

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site

Anyone got a solution for this? Damn! I can't use Wi-Fi when I am overseas. And whenever I try to enable it, at times it will connect but eventually hangs my phone and auto reboot which is seriously frustrating. Factory reset don't help at all. And this problem really came out of nowhere since the last update in early July. Seriously what is wrong? :mad::mad::mad:

Kevin Spring1

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

For those that have this problem. I had the same thing so I removed the battery and after I put it back in and turned it on I could get my Wi-Fi to turn back on.

William Kupp

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

Internal SD Memory the Path /data/misc/wifi/ the File named wpa_supplicant.conf is having issue.
Not going to guess what what was done on your side only that wifi cannot read that file so it just shuts off.
you need root to view this file, I suggest renaming it, reboot then enable wifi again and it will create a new one.
you will lose all saved passwords from the beginning of time but will be able to use wifi again.

I would very much like to give this a try... can you direct me towards any additional info/links to get me started!?!

WimWennekes

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

I had the same issue... all of a sudden my Samsung S4 rebooted for no reason and since then I could no longer switch on the wifi nor did my phone recognize the external micro SD card.

Manual rebooting did not help, but pulling out the battery (while the phone was on) did the trick.

Stange and not helping to maintain my confidence in this high end device, but it helped.

Now everything is fine again and I hope it helps for you too.

W.

Alextodd1

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site

Go into Options, Turn Wi-Fi ?Off? then ?On? again. After doing that Check.
If the above step doesn?t work then restart your phone and Check.

pattsypatts

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

I'm having the exact same problem. Tried the battery trick, searched other forums, nothing. Anyone found a solution to this? It's driving me crazy.

Affonso Macedo

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

I've tried everything in this thread, even the swaping of the system file (with a rooted device), but none worked. The only trick that came nearer of a solution was the battery one, even so, after you turn the cell phone back on you can't turn the wi-fi off, or else there goes the problem again... Any thoughts?

Frederic0

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

Having the exact same problems as described here with my Galaxy S4. I tried everything including factory reset and updating the firmware, which is not that easy when the phone is not on WiFi.. What a Catch-22 situation. And Samsung requires over 6 gb of data on your computer just to install their lousy firmware that doesnt solve anything. I am pissed off since this problem apparantly appeared after a software update that I didnt need. I am seriously considering just throwing the phone in the trach can and getting something else.

Marco Barreto

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

Hi guys im having the same exact problem but with a galaxy tab 7". i dont think i can pull the battery on this. its frustrating. any other solutions? i talked to samsung and they told me that i have to send it back.. bluetooth works i guess

kurtdebo

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

I have the same problem, went to a Samsung Service center, they flashed the device, but this didn't help. Will probably be a hardware issue. I only have the phone for two months. Perhaps I should have buyed an iPhone iso my Samsung. This is really poor quality.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khalio1234