Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Removing the Bloatware From MY S4

I am a newbie as far as rooting phones and really digging down into the operating system.

My S4 came with a bunch of bloatware courtesy of ATT. I want it gone.

Can someone point me to reliable sources (with clear instructions) for rooting my phone and then removing the bloatware safely so I don't brick the phone? I am told some of the bloatware is so weaved into the phone removing will cause more problems than benefits.

I appreciate your time in replying to me.

Thanks!

Default Re: Removing the Bloatware From MY S4

Quote Originally Posted by keely111 View Post
    I am a newbie as far as rooting phones and really digging down into the operating system.

My S4 came with a bunch of bloatware courtesy of ATT. I want it gone.

Can someone point me to reliable sources (with clear instructions) for rooting my phone and then removing the bloatware safely so I don't brick the phone? I am told some of the bloatware is so weaved into the phone removing will cause more problems than benefits.

I appreciate your time in replying to me.

Thanks!
    Why dont you just disable all the AT&T apps instead? no rooting necessary...
    Samsung GS4 GPE | LG Nexus 4 - Sold | GNexus - Sold | HTC One S - Broke | Vibrant - Retired
    Spread some love, Like/Thanks button -->
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I would like to reclaim the disk space and to tell you the truth I am a minimalist when it comes to apps. I want the least I can get by with. In other words "keep it simple stupid". I would hope by doing this I have a phone that responds quickly with out having to go through unnecessary lines of code.

Thanks for the reply though!

I would like to reclaim the disk space and to tell you the truth I am a minimalist when it comes to apps. I want the least I can get by with. In other words "keep it simple stupid". I would hope by doing this I have a phone that responds quickly with out having to go through unnecessary lines of code.

I understand what you are saying... but in retrospect, you would maybe delete 500 MB after your all done.
    Plus if they are disabled, the phone will no longer read any information about that application, so Its just becomes space taken up, (even though its not that much)

The reason I am backing this is because I know how to root. I could help you through ever step, but would rather not.
    I find myself helping person after person who doesnt know how to fix there phone in a boot loop, or stuck on a logo, or wifi doesnt work after flashing, etc
    And its the same thing over and over again

If you really want to root. I can help, but please understand the problems that can persist.
    Read, read, read and once your know all that, read some more.
    You should know how to root, and unroot and fix in case anything happens.

Also make sure you have the correct drivers!!!!!!!!!!!! test with adb before you root!!!!!!
    also make a back up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and then have fun id say. My S4 is rooted running GPE (which is WAY faster than stock S4 touchwiz)

I just remembered..... The AT&T is almost not rootable. There is only one way to do it at this time... and its very difficult involving an ext SD card to transfer files.
    With the last update... AT&T locked them down.
    Samsung GS4 GPE | LG Nexus 4 - Sold | GNexus - Sold | HTC One S - Broke | Vibrant - Retired
    Spread some love, Like/Thanks button -->

ROM
    AR HD 7.0.1 w/RCMix3D

I, too, am I minimalist. It drove me crazy that I had all that Samsung and AT&T bloatware filling up my app drawer. I like to keep the number of apps installed at a minimum, especially with LTE, apps aren't really needed since many mobile versions of sites are now done so well.

Do a search, use Active root, then download Titanium Backup. Once you have root, you can remove all the bloatware using Titanium Backup. If you think you may want one of those apps at a later date, use Titanium Backup to backup the app before uninstalling.

Then, enjoy your unchained phone!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

ROM
    AR HD 7.0.1 w/RCMix3D

deleted

ROM
    AR HD 7.0.1 w/RCMix3D

Deleted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Default Re:Cleaning up the stock OS and removing as much bloatware From MY S4, (rooted) and backed up

I was able to root my s4 active SGH-1537, it took a lot of patience, as I am no IT expert, or even much of a novice. I would like to smooth out the stock OS and remove bloatware simultaneously. I'm sure that's an easy task for most of the folks on here.

A very simple way to root your AT&T SGH-I537 is by using Wondershare MobileGo, install it on PC, its a one click button, takes 2 seconds.. done . You can then go through the steps of removing the boatware..