After 4.3 Update, Popups About Back Cover and USB Cover!

pcmaven

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
After updating (AT&T) to 4.3, I now get a popup when I turn on the unit, every time with a graphic of the back cover:
"For protection against water damage firmly seal the battery cover before use"
It has nothing to do with whether the cover is on tight (it is) or not. It comes on every time!

Also, a popup appears after I remove a USB cable, stating something similar, but showing a photo of the charging cover:
"For protection against water damage firmly seal the charging cover before use"
Once again, nothing to do with the cover being open or closed.

Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of this annoyance?

scfoster

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Same issue. Wife's phone now does this..... very annoying. Looked everywhere in system and cannot figure out how to turn it off.

I'm on with AT&T support.... not expecting much help but we'll see.

Well that didn't go well (as usual). Was told to take the phone to a service center. No real attempt on their part to research the issue.

Last edited:

pcmaven

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
AT&T gave me the run-around also. They suggested (and Samsung did too) that I wipe the phone clean and start again.

Nonsense! I'm sure the same thing will pop up again. I'm (sort of) glad someone else is having the same issue. My guess is many folks are having this issue and just don't care! Thanks for the reply!

aa6vh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I think to many people were not reattaching the back (or the USB plug) properly, then going swimming with their phone. Then they would demand a new phone from AT&T since it was not waterproof as claimed. (sigh.) The pop up messages are AT&Ts attempt to remind people to do it properly.

I was guilty of not always replace the USB plug cover myself. Since the pop up messages have been appearing, I do a much better job remembering. So for me, the AT&T desired effect works.

I suspect there will not be a GS5 Active released, ever.

montgoss

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Anyone found a way of disabling the reminder? Without rooting or installing some other ROM?

It's particularly annoying for me since I'm charging the phone wirelessly. So, I didn't even open the cover and I get this stupid reminder (which lags the phone for several seconds when it wants to display) every time I pick my phone up off the charging pad.