Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My s4 active shut down when playing games!

My phone shuts down whenever i play games, and if i try to put it on, it doesn't switch on, i have to charge it and then it opens.., - note it's full charge..bought it 3 months ago. please help

Default Re: My s4 active shut down when playing games!

Does this happen for any game, or a particular one?
    Does it ever happen during normal use?
    How long does it take after starting gameplay for the phone to shut off?
    Does the phone seem particularly hot when this happens?

The S4 Active shouldn't have any temperature related issues while playing games or running other demanding apps. If the battery is failing, or there are other issues, then it could be overheating.
    If the problem occurs across multiple games, you might need to contact Samsung, assuming you still are under warranty.
    Motorola DROID A855 (Retired) / Samsung Fascinate SCH-I500 (Sold) / Samsung Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515 (Sold) / Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717 (Sold) / LGE Nexus 4 E960 (Retired) / LGE Nexus 5 D820 / HTC DROID DNA 6435LVW / Samsung Nexus 10
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

It happens in every game.. i already removed the other games i have. it happens in every 5 mins. of the game and tried to switch it on and keeps on shutting down.. it doesnt happen on normal use though. - battery is ok, charging properly. and whenever i play games keeps on heating when i'm not in a air conditioned room

---still on warranty

Well, you say that it keeps on heating when you're not in a room with a/c so it sounds like maybe it is overheating & shutting down to prevent damage. Do you have your screen brightness set to full brightness or is it set to automatic brightness?
    Settings > My device tab > Display > Brightness
    Keeping it set to automatic brightness will adjust the brightness according to the brightness of your surroundings and rarely go to fully bright unless you are outside in tons of sunlight. If you have the display set to full brightness all the time then yes, your phone will get very hot with prolonged screen on time.
    Mine- Sprint: Palm 700p, Palm Treo Pro, HTC Touch, HP Palm Pre, Motorola Admiral, Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G (Jellybean 4.2.2);
    AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (5.0.1)
    Wife's - Sprint: HP Palm Pre, LG Viper 4G LTE (ICS); Vizio VTAB1008 Tablet (Honeycomb); AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.4.2)
    Daughters' - Nabi2 tablets (ICS); Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by prolongExistence View Post
    Well, you say that it keeps on heating when you're not in a room with a/c so it sounds like maybe it is overheating & shutting down to prevent damage. Do you have your screen brightness set to full brightness or is it set to automatic brightness?
    Settings > My device tab > Display > Brightness
    Keeping it set to automatic brightness will adjust the brightness according to the brightness of your surroundings and rarely go to fully bright unless you are outside in tons of sunlight. If you have the display set to full brightness all the time then yes, your phone will get very hot with prolonged screen on time.
    Even with the screen on full brightness, it shouldn't be getting so hot that it shuts down. If there are thermal issues, then something is defective. There are plenty of people that always keep their phone brightness at max. Samsung wouldn't release a phone that wasn't capable of that.
    Motorola DROID A855 (Retired) / Samsung Fascinate SCH-I500 (Sold) / Samsung Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515 (Sold) / Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717 (Sold) / LGE Nexus 4 E960 (Retired) / LGE Nexus 5 D820 / HTC DROID DNA 6435LVW / Samsung Nexus 10

Quote Originally Posted by rootedVette View Post
    Even with the screen on full brightness, it shouldn't be getting so hot that it shuts down. If there are thermal issues, then something is defective. There are plenty of people that always keep their phone brightness at max. Samsung wouldn't release a phone that wasn't capable of that.
    I agree with you. But I'm thinking it's mid summer & she said it happens if she's not in AC. Gaming is taxing and will cause the phone to heat up. Then if she had poor reception. I realize it's a stretch but it's not impossible. But it's probably more likely a defective device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using AC Forums mobile app
    Mine- Sprint: Palm 700p, Palm Treo Pro, HTC Touch, HP Palm Pre, Motorola Admiral, Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G (Jellybean 4.2.2);
    AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (5.0.1)
    Wife's - Sprint: HP Palm Pre, LG Viper 4G LTE (ICS); Vizio VTAB1008 Tablet (Honeycomb); AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.4.2)
    Daughters' - Nabi2 tablets (ICS); Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

It's even worst now, it's shutting down in normal use, can't use it anymore, tried to reset and all. but still shutting down, I'm returning it for repair this weekend - hope they'll replace it.