slow charging

Claudine Hodges

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a nee Samsung galaxy s4. I have the charger that comes as standard with the mobile but i also have genuine samsung chargers from other/old devices. Why will some of these not charge my s4 or charge extremely slow?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Samsung makes and has made lots and lots and lots of different devices. Not all of them use the same hardware, so it wouldn't be surprising for an old charger to be not fully compatible.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I too have many older chargers laying around. Really, who doesn't? Just because the plug fits into your S4 or because the charger says Samsung on it, doesn't necessarily mean it is compatible. You have to look at the label on the charger & read the output. Most smartphones now a days require a 1A (or 1amp or 1000mA) charger. Many of the older chargers that I have at home (Samsung, Motorola, Palm) have an output of 700mA or 800mA. Some of the dumbphone chargers may even have the correct plug but will only output 500mA. Sure, they will probably all work, but they will be slow.

To try to give a really simple analogy... Let's say you want to fill a big fish tank by pouring a pitcher of tap water. You have a 1000 oz, 800 oz or 700 oz pitcher. Which one would fill the fish tank the fastest?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance