Why is my Android not recognizing that I have an OTG USB flash stick plugged into it?

dianatanner

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 Active phone and I understand this phone is supported for the OTC USB flash stick. But when I plug the end of the cable into the charging port, I don't get a notification that shows the phone recognizing it. I get no message at all. And it is not listed as being there when I look in My Files. I've looked at YouTube how-to videos on how to set it up, but I haven't seen any that show any setting that I'm supposed to do? Is there a setting for this, or is the phone supposed to recognize it on it's own, or what should I do?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Does the stick have an OTG port (a few do, most don't), or is it just usable with OTG? If the latter, you need an OTG cable. (Don't get nervous - the 99 cent ones on eBay from China work as well as the $40 ones from the manufacturer - it's just 2 connectors, a short cable and ... one piece of wire. Making it wrong would probably cost more than making it right. My 99 cent one is about 2 years old and still works fine.)

dianatanner

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
I'm sorry but looking back at my post I see that I didn't explain my situation very well. Actually I did buy an OTG cable from eBay as you describe. I plugged a SanDisk USB flash drive into the standard end of the OTG cable and then plugged the micro-USB end of the OTG cable into the charging port of my Samsung Galaxy S4 Active.(Now I am going to ad the rest of my original post.) But when I plug the end of the cable into the charging port, I don't get a notification that shows the phone recognizing it. I get no message at all. And it is not listed as being there when I look in My Files. I've looked at YouTube how-to videos on how to set it up, but I haven't seen any that show any setting that I'm supposed to do? Is there a setting for this, or is the phone supposed to recognize it on it's own, or what should I do?
I have done further research since I made this post, and the question is now more complicated. I have discovered that Samsung doesn't actually support an OTG for the S4 Active (Model SGH-I537), even though it does fit physically. I have found that my phone was built when the USB technology was prior to the USB 2.0 and that it actually is compatible with an OTG on-the-go 1.3. It seems that the OTG cables available are all version 2.0. I am curently trying to locate the 1.3 cable, but I have a feeling I won't find one. So this is my new dilemna. Thanks for your reply, however.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513