Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition

Malpractis

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey I'm very new to android (just got my GS4 today :p, coming from iOS), but unless there are major hardware changes it would be likely non google edition (GE) phones would be able to use the ROM from the GE version wouldn't it?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey I'm very new to android (just got my GS4 today :p, coming from iOS), but unless there are major hardware changes it would be likely non google edition (GE) phones would be able to use the ROM from the GE version wouldn't it?

Yes, but most likely would have to root. If this is the case though, I will fart then DL it immediately for installation. I like TW but it can get annoying at times.

Aaron Watson

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Have you seen sundar pichai's interview? He was praising samsung and telling the interviewer how its a global leader when it comes to hardware. Google and Samsung perfectly complete each other and I dont see something ruining that relationship for a long time. Ofc, they are gonna advertise their own features because its unique to their phone, the stuff that sets it apart from other android phones and the iphone. I dont think its something personal against google.

Posted via Android Central App

BKBayemi

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if they necessarily hate each other, but Samsung clearly has disdain for Google. Otherwise they wouldn't be replicating every google service with their proprietary versions. A company that is happy with their relationship does not do that.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

I wouldn't say hate or strained. It is simply business. Increase your presence to aid your brand. Further more, it's a legal move (as in it doesn't break the OHA rules).

Posted via Android Central App

Parafly

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Hate is a strong word. The relationship between the two is what you can call, strained. This is nothing new.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

OK wouldn't even say that. I would just say Samsung is trying to maxomize their profits by using their own features and separate themselves more from other manufacturers on something other than hardware

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If there were to be a "Google Edition" of the GS4, then I imagine it would be like the I/O version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1, i.e. it will be a limited edition and not available to the general public.

That's just my guess anyway. Otherwise, it would be awesome if they made something like this available across all carriers...oh, let a person dream. As much as I like the stock experience, it's not enough to pull my away from my discounted unlimited data plan on Verizon. Otherwise, I'd be on a Nexus phone right now.

Parafly

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
As long as they release 4.3 aosp we should be able to get the same experience on our rooted phones.

Although in sure Verizon will be ****ed again :/

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
As long as they release 4.3 aosp we should be able to get the same experience on our rooted phones.

Although in sure Verizon will be ****ed again :/

Why would Verizon be ****ed? Do you mean in terms of locked boot-loader or do you mean the chances of Verizon getting another stock Android device being slim? If the former, then well we'll find out next week when the exploit/method for unlocking the Snapdragon based devices (which are all the US carrier models) is released. If the latter, then...yeah, can't do much about that.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I mean if aosp is released it likely wont come to the vzw version of the s4

Ah, well like I said there's a method to unlock the bootloader on AT&T's version from Dan Rosenberg. However, it's being withheld until Verizon's release so it can be tested on their model first since the same exploit is expected to work. It also doesn't give Samsung and Verizon a chance to patch the exploit before release day.

So there's hope yet!

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
They both could learn a lot from one another (Google & Samsung). Releasing stock Android on the Galaxy S4, in any form, puts the stock experience in the hands of more people. That's a plus for Google. Releasing a Galaxy S4 without Touchwiz also silences most of the criticism about the S4 in general, which is a plus for Samsung. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but there's more than enough reason to make it happen.

My only thing here is if they're going to sell it, sell it straight from Samsung. I'd say straight from the Play Store, but we've all seen how well that's gone before.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I really hope a clean port of AOSP comes to the rest of the S4's come in very short order. (Dreaming of a quality Nexus device on Verizon)

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
I would like it better if I had the option of turning it off.

The entire phone industry is about to get owned.

I was hoping the announcement would be a set of APIs that could then allow the developers to make the skins to sit on top of, rather than inside of, Android, and then allowing users the option to make it stock with the push of a button.

Sent from my shattered, re-stocked VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
So a Nexus-like experience, but it ships with 4.2.2, and they're releasing 4.3 today?! So hyprictical or no 4.3? Seemed 4.3 was guaranteed. This would make a lot more sense if it was available on Verizon and/or Sprint. Tmobile/Att....not so much. On Tmobile/Att...unless you're in the "needs removable storage/battery" camp, the N4 is still a much better buy. Although, I do agree with whomever said this **might**get the stock Android experience in more users hands. Doubtful at $650.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown