Any reason to get this in the US, instead of the carrier versions?

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I had almost decided to buy an AT&T S4, but was waiting to see what was announced at Google I/O, which was apparently a Nexus S4 :) Now I have a choice between which device I should get. The way I see it, I'm leaning towards the AT&T version because I can get the phone at a subsidized price, rather than having to pay the full $650 on Google Play. However, I'm also banking on the following two things being true:

1. The Google version of the S4 having the same hardware as the carrier versions, sans the radio(s)
2. Hackers are going to release the bootloader unlock for the AT&T version. (Last I heard, they were waiting for the Verizon S4 to drop)

That being the case, once you unlock the bootloader on the carrier versions, I'm assuming you'll be able to install whatever stock updates Google releases on theirs, kind of like how I used to do with the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, but this time I won't have to deal with a crappy radio :p Sure, the carrier S4's won't be a 'genuine' Google device, but for the 'enthusiasts' among, us, I don't think it'll matter :) Since it won't have the 'Nexus' name on it, I don't reckon too many people will be ******** about updates not coming from Google.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm really curious about this too. Seems like buying an at&t s4 and loading a ROM dump from the GE s4 would be the way to go. I wonder if I am missing something though because you would think that anyone "in the know" enough to be considering the GE s4 would have the same thought.

Posted via Android Central App

kjnangre

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
1. There are enough people who don't want to mess with unlocking their phone and downloading a new ROM, or people for whom the price premium of the Google S4 is worth it not to have to worry about such things.
2. Anyone who bought an SIII isn't yet eligible for an upgrade, so they'd have to pay full price anyways.

For me, both #1 and #2 apply, so I plan to get the Google S4.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm banking an a Google Edition ROM for the Verizon S4. Carrier > Phone.

If they have a ROM port, I'd take the subsidized price. I can wait a week for an XDA S4 ROM update if I could save $450...

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
If you see yourself staying with att why not get the subsidy?

The N4 really expanded the prepaid market but that was because it was less expensive. Not sure those pre paid fans will pay 650 for a phone but I could be wrong.

Or you love vanilla android and will pay to get rid of the carrier bloat on the S4. I think touch wiz adds the features that make the S4 special.

For me this phone is not worth 300 more than a nexus 4 or possibly a nexus 5.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I really think there is a market for this. Simply for those who are willing to spend the extra money to have AOSP out of the box and a warranty to back it. Sure the branded devices will have their own AOSP custom ROMs. But you get that at a cost of risking your warranty in the event something does go wrong and you are at the mercy of your developers to keep you updated and hope things always go as planned with flashing custom ROMs.

javierlp

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Is there anyway AT&T will make this version available at stores?

My upgrade date is about to hit and I don't want to pay $649 for thos (or any) phone.

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
and you are at the mercy of your developers to keep you updated and hope things always go as planned with flashing custom ROMs.

Well, that's the whole point... this isn't any ordinary, carrier-branded fake Android phone. If the devs are basically being spoon fed new updates from the Google Edition, there's no way the updates won't come. And nothing has ever gone wrong with a custom rom that I couldn't recover from :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well, that's the whole point... this isn't any ordinary, carrier-branded fake Android phone. If the devs are basically being spoon fed new updates from the Google Edition, there's no way the updates won't come. And nothing has ever gone wrong with a custom rom that I couldn't recover from :)
I agree on the subject of custom ROMs. I have never had any real problems either but same time I can see this being a win to bring to the market.

I'm in full support of any ideas to expand the options available to the Android ecosystem.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I've never heard of an Android (or even iOS) release, either with vendor bloatware or without, that was perfect.
I don't believe anyone here is attempting to claim that you will get a error/bug free experience from Google or OEM-skinned phone. The point of thread was is there a reason for the Google Edition over the carrier branded.

To answer that simply, YES. It will appeal to some who would like a taste of the Google AOSP experience w/ warranty & unlocked bootloader at a higher price or you will have those that will stick by the carrier branded for varying reasons of the skinned experience, cost, root & ROM.

Any way you look at this its marketable on both fronts. Branded or Google Edition. There will be those who jump on one or the other for their own varying reasons.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Considering I don't have an upgrade available just yet, this phone is a win/win. No bloatware from Samsung, and AT&T, yet I get Samsungs awesome hardware. I can't wait!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Considering I don't have an upgrade available just yet, this phone is a win/win. No bloatware from Samsung, and AT&T, yet I get Samsungs awesome hardware. I can't wait!

Yes. The only thing that is still questionable and we won't really know until its out in the wild for some real hands on reviews is the camera hardware and other things that the TW experience DOES bring to the table in the form of custom software.

So excited and interested? YES. Hardware running on Google's AOSP software like camera, video, etc... that is still open for discussion until further review. AND by review I mean some true, couple days, hundreds of pics, video, etc in varying conditions and not 5 mins after some blog/site receives a test unit and is trying to grab the review headlines ;)

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes. The only thing that is still questionable and we won't really know until its out in the wild for some real hands on reviews is the camera hardware and other things that the TW experience DOES bring to the table in the form of custom software.

So excited and interested? YES. Hardware running on Google's AOSP software like camera, video, etc... that is still open for discussion until further review. AND by review I mean some true, couple days, hundreds of pics, video, etc in varying conditions and not 5 mins after some blog/site receives a test unit and is trying to grab the review headlines ;)

I agree. The Touch Wiz camera is a standout for the s4. It will be interesting to see how the camera is dealt with sans Touch Wiz.
A great camera experience is important to me which is why I had to flash a Sense rom on my One X. Not only for the imaging software, but burst mode, etc.

From my HTC One X running ViperXL 3.2

cctpitts01

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but essentially the Google Edition is the T-Mobile version minus the Touch-wiz? Seeing as the AT&T model does not support the 1700 frequency for T-Mobile and the Google Edition does. What I get from this is that hopefully once the device becomes available and a developer gets there hands on it all they have to do is apply root to the rom and superuser and it should work for the AT&T and T-Mobile variants :) at least I hope it's that easy :)

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

My upgrade date is about to hit and I don't want to pay $649 for thos (or any) phone.

Use your upgrade on an AT&T S4. Resell that when the Google one comes out to cover the extra cost. Problem solved! :)

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Aside from the developer-needs' angle, which isn't debatable as Google edition is the one you want, if you want custom Roms, faster OS updates, no bloatware, etc etc.... the way I see it is this: the carrier locked version is only slightly cheaper than the Google Edition. By buying the Google Edition, it opens up your flexiblity to use T-Mobile's network, which is currently contract free and cheaper than ATT for comparable service.

Financially, I really can't see why people will still elect to go with a carrier locked S4. If you're already paying $625+ for a phone, what's another $50? Unless you really can't front the cash, and need a payment plan, in this case, you can also buy it on a credit card and pay it off over a month interest free.

To me, if I wanted the S4, it's a no-brainer. I want this version.

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site

You're already paying $625 for the ATT version of the phone if you elect to upgrade...and you can't afford $650 for an unlocked one?
Although you're not paying $625 upfront, you're definitely paying $625 to ATT over your next 2 years for this phone. I would sell your current phone on ebay and use that money towards buying the Google Edition, you'll likely only have to come up with $400+ at the end of the day (assuming your phone is worth about $200)