Google edition GS4

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The "pure Google" experience, and OS updates pushed out much more quickly, because you don't have to wait for the carriers to test and decide when, or if, they're going to provide the update.

junglejunkie

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
"Pure Google" is Android without any manufacturer skin on top (Sense, Touchwiz, Motoblur, etc). Just pure AOSP (Android Open Source Project) goodness.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't make FINANCIAL sense to buy a device for $300 more if you can get the other on discount. But people around here don't make good financial decisions all the time. Leaving carriers for phones with contracts still in place, upgrading too often, etc... LOL. So you cannot reason with finances when it comes to geeks and their smartphones LOL.

But most people that are interested in a "pure Android experience" are those users that would probably be into flashing anyway. The average joe couldn't care less.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
So for the "pure Google" experience would it just be better to buy a Nexus?

Sent from my XT907

Well, it depends. The Galaxy is certainly more powerful, has a much larger screen ,a much better camera, an interchangeable battery and an SD card slot. How important those things are, and how much they're worth, is something each person needs to decide for themselves.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, it depends. The Galaxy is certainly more powerful, has a much larger screen ,a much better camera, an interchangeable battery and an SD card slot. How important those things are, and how much they're worth, is something each person needs to decide for themselves.

It's just .3 inches...

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
True, I should have just said larger. Somehow, though, when you hold them side by side, the difference seems like more than that.

I think it's because of the on-screen buttons. But that can be solved with things like PIE.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't make FINANCIAL sense to buy a device for $300 more if you can get the other on discount. But people around here don't make good financial decisions all the time. Leaving carriers for phones with contracts still in place, upgrading too often, etc... LOL. So you cannot reason with finances when it comes to geeks and their smartphones LOL.
That's presumptuous given that there is no $300 option for those of us who don't want to settle for midrange hardware to get a pure android experience that's certain to get updates straight from the horses mouth. And the option of paying outright or in payments is irrelevant to this point....you're paying roughly the same price either way

Posted via Android Central App

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
If only this was going to be offered by Verizon, too. Right now I have the Droid Bionic, but if there was an S4 Active Google Edition compatible with Verizon, I'd buy that today! However, I'm waiting to see what Motorola will offer next (supposed to be the first Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie device), before I finally upgrade phones.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
That's presumptuous given that there is no $300 option for those of us who don't want to settle for midrange hardware to get a pure android experience that's certain to get updates straight from the horses mouth. And the option of paying outright or in payments is irrelevant to this point....you're paying roughly the same price either way

Posted via Android Central App

Why not the Nexus 4? That's pure Android and high-end hardware.

blackmannx#AC

Panda Motherfrinkin King
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
have to think about it like this.. alot of what makes the GS4 such a great phone .. including that camera software will not be in this device. A stock device is great but you will see performance about on par with the N4 with the addition of ATT and TMO LTE. Most would be better served to get a GS4 with touchwiz root it and do what you want with Roms and such. Being a Google experience device does not mean it will get software pushes at the same time as the nexus... close but not the same time.

rubi76

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
As much as I love the Nexus 4, mostly for its pure Google experience and the price, I also have to say that:
The battery sucks
The phone overheats
The back is cool but it breaks easily, in fact mine broke in the case

I had to return it, mostly because of the battery which is not even replaceable.
So it's great phone for the price but it's for from the s3, s4,htc one, and even some other phones (oppo, sony, etc.) have better specs.

So for the price it's unbeaten but the price isn't everything..
If you are a geek, check these forums twice or more per day, there's a good chance the s4 Google edition is tempting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

rubi76

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
have to think about it like this.. alot of what makes the GS4 such a great phone .. including that camera software will not be in this device. A stock device is great but you will see performance about on par with the N4 with the addition of ATT and TMO LTE. Most would be better served to get a GS4 with touchwiz root it and do what you want with Roms and such. Being a Google experience device does not mean it will get software pushes at the same time as the nexus... close but not the same time.

I beg to differ..
Performance might be better than on the Nexus 4 (better camera, bigger battery, external sd, mhl, etc.)
A rooted device with stock might get closer in performance to this devices but buying it directly from Google is an assurance of the software being snappy.
Being the software from Google pretty much also guarantees updates within a week of the Nexus updates.
Touchwiz is still updated 3+ months after.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
As much as I love the Nexus 4, mostly for its pure Google experience and the price, I also have to say that:
The battery sucks
The phone overheats
The back is cool but it breaks easily, in fact mine broke in the case

I had to return it, mostly because of the battery which is not even replaceable.
So it's great phone for the price but it's for from the s3, s4,htc one, and even some other phones (oppo, sony, etc.) have better specs.

So for the price it's unbeaten but the price isn't everything..
If you are a geek, check these forums twice or more per day, there's a good chance the s4 Google edition is tempting.

Battery is pretty good, I get 4.5 hrs screen time.
It doesn't overheat at all. All phones get warm.
I've dropped mine on concrete/hardwood 3 times with no protection and the phone is perfectly fine.

I think you had a defective device.

It's also better than the S3 in every way (including specs).

rubi76

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Battery is pretty good, I get 4.5 hrs screen time.
It doesn't overheat at all. All phones get warm.
I've dropped mine on concrete/hardwood 3 times with no protection and the phone is perfectly fine.

I think you had a defective device.

It's also better than the S3 in every way (including specs).

Maybe I did have a defective device.. But imagine being on a business trip overseas and at 3 pm your battery is about to die. No chance to replace it. You take it off the case and notice the back is shattered without any fall.
I got very upset.. Got a replacement and sold it.

Sent from my Nexus

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781