Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google edition GS4

When you pay $300 more for the Google edition S4 what do you get out of it?

Sent from my XT907
    TomsAndroid likes this.

Default Re: Google edition GS4

The "pure Google" experience, and OS updates pushed out much more quickly, because you don't have to wait for the carriers to test and decide when, or if, they're going to provide the update.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
    804hokie likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'm new to android so I'm still trying to learn it. What is the "pure Google " experience?

Sent from my XT907

Global Posts
    546 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 Stock Rooted

"Pure Google" is Android without any manufacturer skin on top (Sense, Touchwiz, Motoblur, etc). Just pure AOSP (Android Open Source Project) goodness.
    Thanked by:

It doesn't make FINANCIAL sense to buy a device for $300 more if you can get the other on discount. But people around here don't make good financial decisions all the time. Leaving carriers for phones with contracts still in place, upgrading too often, etc... LOL. So you cannot reason with finances when it comes to geeks and their smartphones LOL.

But most people that are interested in a "pure Android experience" are those users that would probably be into flashing anyway. The average joe couldn't care less.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
    Thanked by 2:
    The Hustleman and TomsAndroid like this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

So for the "pure Google" experience would it just be better to buy a Nexus?

Sent from my XT907

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by dylanrod24 View Post

Sent from my XT907
    IMO yes.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by dylanrod24 View Post

Sent from my XT907
    Well, it depends. The Galaxy is certainly more powerful, has a much larger screen ,a much better camera, an interchangeable battery and an SD card slot. How important those things are, and how much they're worth, is something each person needs to decide for themselves.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
    scorpiodsu and TomsAndroid like this.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Well, it depends. The Galaxy is certainly more powerful, has a much larger screen ,a much better camera, an interchangeable battery and an SD card slot. How important those things are, and how much they're worth, is something each person needs to decide for themselves.
    It's just .3 inches...

Thanked by:

True, I should have just said larger. Somehow, though, when you hold them side by side, the difference seems like more than that.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

True, I should have just said larger. Somehow, though, when you hold them side by side, the difference seems like more than that.
    I think it's because of the on-screen buttons. But that can be solved with things like PIE.

Also lte which meh, battery life, hopefully better signal as my n4 struggled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    It doesn't make FINANCIAL sense to buy a device for $300 more if you can get the other on discount. But people around here don't make good financial decisions all the time. Leaving carriers for phones with contracts still in place, upgrading too often, etc... LOL. So you cannot reason with finances when it comes to geeks and their smartphones LOL.
    That's presumptuous given that there is no $300 option for those of us who don't want to settle for midrange hardware to get a pure android experience that's certain to get updates straight from the horses mouth. And the option of paying outright or in payments is irrelevant to this point....you're paying roughly the same price either way

Posted via Android Central App

If only this was going to be offered by Verizon, too. Right now I have the Droid Bionic, but if there was an S4 Active Google Edition compatible with Verizon, I'd buy that today! However, I'm waiting to see what Motorola will offer next (supposed to be the first Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie device), before I finally upgrade phones.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by slackerjack View Post
    That's presumptuous given that there is no $300 option for those of us who don't want to settle for midrange hardware to get a pure android experience that's certain to get updates straight from the horses mouth. And the option of paying outright or in payments is irrelevant to this point....you're paying roughly the same price either way

Why not the Nexus 4? That's pure Android and high-end hardware.

TomsAndroid and jdbii like this.
    Panda Motherfrinkin King

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    ROM
    PandaRom 12.5% Faster!!

have to think about it like this.. alot of what makes the GS4 such a great phone .. including that camera software will not be in this device. A stock device is great but you will see performance about on par with the N4 with the addition of ATT and TMO LTE. Most would be better served to get a GS4 with touchwiz root it and do what you want with Roms and such. Being a Google experience device does not mean it will get software pushes at the same time as the nexus... close but not the same time.
    Sent from my unreleased thingamagig using Tapatalk

follow me at www.twitter.com/black_man_x

As much as I love the Nexus 4, mostly for its pure Google experience and the price, I also have to say that:
    The battery sucks
    The phone overheats
    The back is cool but it breaks easily, in fact mine broke in the case

I had to return it, mostly because of the battery which is not even replaceable.
    So it's great phone for the price but it's for from the s3, s4,htc one, and even some other phones (oppo, sony, etc.) have better specs.

So for the price it's unbeaten but the price isn't everything..
    If you are a geek, check these forums twice or more per day, there's a good chance the s4 Google edition is tempting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by blackmannx#AC View Post
    have to think about it like this.. alot of what makes the GS4 such a great phone .. including that camera software will not be in this device. A stock device is great but you will see performance about on par with the N4 with the addition of ATT and TMO LTE. Most would be better served to get a GS4 with touchwiz root it and do what you want with Roms and such. Being a Google experience device does not mean it will get software pushes at the same time as the nexus... close but not the same time.
    I beg to differ..
    Performance might be better than on the Nexus 4 (better camera, bigger battery, external sd, mhl, etc.)
    A rooted device with stock might get closer in performance to this devices but buying it directly from Google is an assurance of the software being snappy.
    Being the software from Google pretty much also guarantees updates within a week of the Nexus updates.
    Touchwiz is still updated 3+ months after.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by rubi76 View Post
    As much as I love the Nexus 4, mostly for its pure Google experience and the price, I also have to say that:
    The battery sucks
    The phone overheats
    The back is cool but it breaks easily, in fact mine broke in the case

I had to return it, mostly because of the battery which is not even replaceable.
    So it's great phone for the price but it's for from the s3, s4,htc one, and even some other phones (oppo, sony, etc.) have better specs.

So for the price it's unbeaten but the price isn't everything..
    If you are a geek, check these forums twice or more per day, there's a good chance the s4 Google edition is tempting.

Battery is pretty good, I get 4.5 hrs screen time.
    It doesn't overheat at all. All phones get warm.
    I've dropped mine on concrete/hardwood 3 times with no protection and the phone is perfectly fine.

I think you had a defective device.

It's also better than the S3 in every way (including specs).

Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    Battery is pretty good, I get 4.5 hrs screen time.
    It doesn't overheat at all. All phones get warm.
    I've dropped mine on concrete/hardwood 3 times with no protection and the phone is perfectly fine.

I think you had a defective device.

It's also better than the S3 in every way (including specs).

Maybe I did have a defective device.. But imagine being on a business trip overseas and at 3 pm your battery is about to die. No chance to replace it. You take it off the case and notice the back is shattered without any fall.
    I got very upset.. Got a replacement and sold it.

Sent from my Nexus

Some of those things might be moot points though. Like the camera, and more powerful processor. Yes they're there, but is vanilla android advanced enough to the point where you would actually notice the difference in those things?

Without the additions from TW though the price simply isn't justified IMO.
    If "pure Android" was that important to me I'd rather get the subsidized/carrier model, put an AOSP ROM onto it & settle for that.

At 500$ I'd get it no problem but at 650$ I'll stick with my Nexus 4 & probably pick up a One to hold me over until the Nexus 5.

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slackerjack View Post

Well, then some of us believe that it doesn't make *financial* sense to spend $300 extra to buy hardware that is only a little better than the Nexus 4 (although I would very much quibble with the idea that N4's hardware is "midrange" - it certainly wasn't six months ago). It doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense, just not financial sense. You have other considerations, which are entirely legitimate, but the fact is a better option is available for those who are more pocket conscious.

Quote Originally Posted by osubeavs728 View Post
    Some of those things might be moot points though. Like the camera, and more powerful processor. Yes they're there, but is vanilla android advanced enough to the point where you would actually notice the difference in those things?
    The more powerful processor will speed up most things, regardless of whether the phone has TW or not. In fact, given the resource hog TW is, it will probably be even more noticeable on the "vanilla" Android version. As for the camera, the hardware won't change. The higher resolution exists regardless of the software. You'll be missing all the fancy Samsung camera software features (but gaining PhotoSphere). And there are plenty of third party camera and photo-editing apps available.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I am confused. How much more powerful in terms of specs will the next Nexus be compared to the Google S4. It seems like to me the S4, spec wise is superior to the N4 and also would be on par with the next Nexus device. So if someone was the buy the S4 wouldn't they be be better off in the long run when running the next couple versions of Android. I would be tempted to but the Google S4 if it was on Verizon.....verrrrrry tempted.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast