Do you think SG4 users...

JRLasVegas

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Are feeling cheated that Google made the SG4 all stock so the phone can really shine on Android? I mean most people get the SG4 because of it's specs right? What do you think?

HTC One>galaxy>iPhone

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
No. It's just another option, another avenue to appeal to a certain crowd.

Regardless of Google Edition or carrier branded both will sell and make Samsung money.

I think the only part I don't agree with is releasing this after the branded versions. If they would of given this option first some people would of opted for the Google version.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Are feeling cheated that Google made the SG4 all stock so the phone can really shine on Android? I mean most people get the SG4 because of it's specs right? What do you think?

HTC One>galaxy>iPhone

I think that most users want it for the features, all of which will not be on the Google Edition. (air gestures, smart stay, etc, s-voice, anything that starts with an "S", camera software, IR blaster, etc.) That version really seems made for nerds and most people will never know about it. Besides, the most useful thing about the Google Edition is that it will make creating AOSP ROM's for the S4 MUCH easier, quicker to update when AOSP increments and so users who really want stock but bought the regular versions can easily change back and forth. In my opinion, it'd be better to buy the regular version as it gives you more flexibility.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I wonder which may have been mentioned somewhere, will this get AOSP support for building from source and factory images from Google/Samsung.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I wonder which may have been mentioned somewhere, will this get AOSP support for building from source and factory images from Google/Samsung.

I'm not sure if they'll officially release it or not, but it's not that difficult to strip it out. The boot loader comes unlocked, which means they know people will flash over the AOSP clone, so I would hope they're providing an official way to flash back to stock... but from what I know you're right, no one has specified.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, developers will have stuff in place like always but I gotta admit I love official AOSP support like most of the nexus devices. Load up Ubuntu, get yourself synced to the android repo, select your actual device and build. Customize the source as you please and build some more.

No trickery, no hacks or dev related work around.

mxmarcus

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I was ready to move my line from T-Mobile back to Sprint and get the GS4, but with this announcement, I will wait and see if I should buy the Google edition.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie