Don't bother

rubi76

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes but not for the s4- correct?
You are thinking Note 3?
Or are you saying the Google Edition might have Snapdragon 800?

jonathan2677

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Don't take this bad anyone but the processors on the s4 now are all that's needed now Samsung needs to fix touchwiz

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I agree with this thread. The novelty of these GE phones (as well as the S4 and One just in general) has worn off. That $600-650 could go towards one of these superpowered phones. While the saying "if you keep waiting, you'll end up with nothing" is true, I think the wait this time around will be worth it. We're 5 days away from the first S800 phone unveiling from Sony, Samsung is making a revised S4 with the chip, the G2 will have it, Oppo Find 7 is getting it, and Sony is releasing a regular flagship phone with the chip. All of these phones will be available within the next 6 months.

I always say the best time to buy an Android is later in the year, you'll already basically have next year's flagship from Samsung/HTC months earlier.

WickedRabbit

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Where are you guys even based because as far as the S4 with S800 processor it's highly unlikely that makes it out of Korea. It did not get announced Samsung's event today, which would likely lead to a late announcement. But, typically when Samsung does moves like this it's for their home market and not anywhere else. Besides, if it comes with the same 16GB internal memory, who cares? If there's one trend that needs to leave Android it's having 16GB of built in as the standard. I just don't understand it.

rubi76

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree with this thread. The novelty of these GE phones (as well as the S4 and One just in general) has worn off. That $600-650 could go towards one of these superpowered phones. While the saying "if you keep waiting, you'll end up with nothing" is true, I think the wait this time around will be worth it. We're 5 days away from the first S800 phone unveiling from Sony, Samsung is making a revised S4 with the chip, the G2 will have it, Oppo Find 7 is getting it, and Sony is releasing a regular flagship phone with the chip. All of these phones will be available within the next 6 months.

I always say the best time to buy an Android is later in the year, you'll already basically have next year's flagship from Samsung/HTC months earlier.

The revised s4 is definitely just for Korea, Oppo said the 7 is in the works but it definitely won't be ready before October or later, I doubt that Sony will distribute its new phone in the Usa (took the Z 6 months to come)..
So it looks more like at least 6 months, not within 6..
And that is not so short in cell phone life, especially for users who need a phone right away..

On top of that the Nexus 4 was handling the software as good as it gets... If the google Edition devices are software optimized they should be as good or better.

Sent from my Nexus

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
The revised s4 is definitely just for Korea, Oppo said the 7 is in the works but it definitely won't be ready before October or later, I doubt that Sony will distribute its new phone in the Usa (took the Z 6 months to come)..
So it looks more like at least 6 months, not within 6..
And that is not so short in cell phone life, especially for users who need a phone right away..

On top of that the Nexus 4 was handling the software as good as it gets... If the google Edition devices are software optimized they should be as good or better.

Sent from my Nexus

I'm pretty sure importing phones isn't illegal, unless things have changed since I've been asleep. Never gave a specific month of when the Find 7 was out (it's still coming out within the 6 month time frame, regardless) and I'm banking on Sony making at least one of their phones available in the US Sony store. Even if it doesn't make it, it's as easy as going to Expansys or Negri and putting it in your shopping cart. Thanks for reminding me about the N4, the N5 should have similar hardware to the G2. That possibly makes another S800 to come out.

So that still leaves the list intact, plus one. I just can't recommend paying $600 for hardware about to become obsolete in a month or two after its release. Maybe if it was subsidized, but it's not so you're paying around the same hefty price tag for inferior phones. That is, if someone of these rumored spec sheets are anything to go by. If you want something that runs as good as a Nexus 4, then save $300 and buy a Nexus 4. Or wait and see if the N5 is ridiculously cheap like the N4 before it.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Yes just like buying a new model year car.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
This doesn't mean we will see it on devices in the states until the later part of the year so holding off for a new processor is silly IMO.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
So that still leaves the list intact, plus one. I just can't recommend paying $600 for hardware about to become obsolete in a month or two after its release.

Obsolete and older generation are 2 different things. And if those devices won't see the states for months then just waiting for them doesn't make sense especially if you don't even know if you're going to like the device when it comes. Putting a next gen processor on it doesn't make the phone better. The Galaxy S3 is still formidable to some of this year's devices and that's because a lot of people don't care about the processor model as long as the phone works.

And to your second point, which device could users have bought late 2012 that would have given them basically an HTC One and S4 in terms of hardware and software? I'm curious. Please don't say Nexus because with that crappy camera and capped 16GB internal and no LTE and an older generation quad core processor. So by the talk here, it was obsolete as soon as the newer devices came but I do believe the N4 is still a great device and a lot would agree. If not this device, then what others? And smartphone, not phablet. I'm really curious though.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
This doesn't mean we will see it on devices in the states until the later part of the year so holding off for a new processor is silly IMO.

Yes, I am aware 6 months also includes the latter part of the year. I have a calendar.

As far as holding off yeah, well, like, that's just like, your opinion, man. That doesn't make it anymore right to pay $600 now when you can wait a little bit and get a better phone for the same price. If your phone isn't falling apart it'd be wise to wait, if you just want an S4 or One you're better off buying on contract.

As far as that other post of yours, the later phones receive more than just a chip increases. They also see bumps in camera technology and in LG's case, flexible screens. The later crops of phones are always better than Q1/2 phones, that's all there is to it.

As far as which phone in 2012 could compare to the One or S4, that's easy seeing as the Droid DNA was the best Android phone released last year. There is no point in upgrading from it to an S4/One unless you have memory issues. In which you could do what people with N4s do which is use cloud storage. Not necessarily ideal for me but it is an option and should be counted regardless, that's really the only reason why someone with a DNA wouldn't be happy with it.

Last edited:

rubi76

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure importing phones isn't illegal, unless things have changed since I've been asleep. Never gave a specific month of when the Find 7 was out (it's still coming out within the 6 month time frame, regardless) and I'm banking on Sony making at least one of their phones available in the US Sony store. Even if it doesn't make it, it's as easy as going to Expansys or Negri and putting it in your shopping cart. Thanks for reminding me about the N4, the N5 should have similar hardware to the G2. That possibly makes another S800 to come out.

So that still leaves the list intact, plus one. I just can't recommend paying $600 for hardware about to become obsolete in a month or two after its release. Maybe if it was subsidized, but it's not so you're paying around the same hefty price tag for inferior phones. That is, if someone of these rumored spec sheets are anything to go by. If you want something that runs as good as a Nexus 4, then save $300 and buy a Nexus 4. Or wait and see if the N5 is ridiculously cheap like the N4 before it.

I had a Nexus 4. Amazing device but with big hardware flaws, such as an easy to break back and poor battery life - battery which is irreplaceable.
Still the processor is last year processor and the software experience was flawless.
So yes, this year's devices have better specs but I am not sure that always translates well in real life usage.
After all the Nexus 7 had a Tegra processor and lags non stop.
As far as your answer - your sarcasm aside- importing is not illegal but definitely more expensive (even on Negri a new phone is more expensive than $600 when it comes out) and you are forgetting antennas often don't match USA frequencies, depending on your service.

Just my 2 cents, I see your point of waiting a bit more but I m just not so sure it's worth it.

Sent from my Nexus

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
That's wrong. Samsung is not going to release an S 4 with this chip. Not in the US and not until the S 5.

Snapdragon 800 right around the corner. Might be announced June 20th

Ummm no. It will take a lot more than that.

Don't take this bad anyone but the processors on the s4 now are all that's needed now Samsung needs to fix touchwiz

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38