Screen goes off in 30 seconds during calls

monoog

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
OK folks, new to this forum and a real tech dummy. I have only one problem that I couldn't resolve. No matter what the "time out" settings are, the phone goes black after 30 seconds during a call and you have to press the power button to wake it. It only happens during phone calls. If I set the time to say 2 minutes or longer, the screen will stay on for that time in any regular use but the phone still times out at 30. Help!
Sorry if there's been a thread on this, couldn't find one.

Droid4Core

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Its supposed to do that. It actually should go off as soon as you put it up to your ear. Its to keep your head from hitting buttons while your talking.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

monoog

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks but not talking about when the phone is up to your face. That's the "proximity sensor" control and it's on and I get that. I'm talking about simply looking at the screen when the phone is in use. If you're using speaker phone the screen goes off at 30 seconds no matter what the screen time out is set at. You have to hit power or main button to bring the screen back on. I have it set to stay on while looking at the screen but that doesn't work 100% of the time and if you look away for any reason the 30 seconds starts again. I want the phone to stay on longer for a call. Anyone with any ideas out there?

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks but not talking about when the phone is up to your face. That's the "proximity sensor" control and it's on and I get that. I'm talking about simply looking at the screen when the phone is in use. If you're using speaker phone the screen goes off at 30 seconds no matter what the screen time out is set at. You have to hit power or main button to bring the screen back on. I have it set to stay on while looking at the screen but that doesn't work 100% of the time and if you look away for any reason the 30 seconds starts again. I want the phone to stay on longer for a call. Anyone with any ideas out there?

In settings under display there is a "sleep" option, and it is most likely set to turn off at 30 seconds. Just change it to never.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Don't have that option under display. Love this phone but this thing is driving me crazy.

I think there has to be an option somewhere. I wish someone with an actual s4 would respond. That is where it is on my nexus phone, but I know it is available on the s4.

found this with a quick google search

"You can disable the screen lock if you have the phone plugged in under development settings, I believe. It's under Settings -> Applications -> Development -> Stay Awake.

Only works when charging"

It also says that smart stay overrides all settings. So turn that off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer