T-Mobile LTE with S4 GE

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I got mine.

My signal is live in every place I have been in nyc.

I am working on determining if the penetration is any better.

Highest I've gotten so far is 30mbs down.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using AC Forums mobile app
They've removed that annoying soft cap of 30Mbps a few days ago, and now it's more "natural" and closer to the maximum peak rate of 37.5Mbps.
As far as propagation, keep in mind that LTE equipment isn't reporting RSSI or RSCP like 3G tech, it's actually reporting RSRP and RSRQ and the value is always about ~23dBm lower than RSSI RSCP coming from the same cell site for instance. That said, even with what appears to be a low signal level, you are still able to get much better experience than on HSPA+, and achieve respectable data rates. 2x2 MIMO setup is the differentiator.

Also, don't forget that LTE is data only, so your voice is still going over UMTS.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
A bit too engineery for me. Does Lte penetrator better than hspa? Runs 1700 V's 1900?

They've removed that annoying soft cap of 30Mbps a few days ago, and now it's more "natural" and closer to the maximum peak rate of 37.5Mbps.
As far as propagation, keep in mind that LTE equipment isn't reporting RSSI or RSCP like 3G tech, it's actually reporting RSRP and RSRQ and the value is always about ~23dBm lower than RSSI RSCP coming from the same cell site for instance. That said, even with what appears to be a low signal level, you are still able to get much better experience than on HSPA+, and achieve respectable data rates. 2x2 MIMO setup is the differentiator.

Also, don't forget that LTE is data only, so your voice is still going over UMTS.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
10Mhz LTE is being tested in NYC finally!

yKMynV8.png

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
In the exact same location I am getting 36 down during mid-day. Very impressive speeds.

Penetration is the same with LTE, maybe slightly better. Difference is minor.

1374688121656.jpg

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Good to see there are some good results. I ordered a GE S4 last night and will be using it with tmobile's $30 unlimited text/data 100 minute plan.

Does anyone know how voip call quality is on the S4 in general and over LTE specifically. My N4 was never very good in that regard and it was useless of hspa+

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
On talkatone it's decent. Maybe groove is better?

Also the antennae seems to be a bit better.

Good to see there are some good results. I ordered a GE S4 last night and will be using it with tmobile's $30 unlimited text/data 100 minute plan.

Does anyone know how voip call quality is on the S4 in general and over LTE specifically. My N4 was never very good in that regard and it was useless of hspa+

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Good to know. I have been using the paid version of grooveip. Works great on wifi as long as I have the proper echo cancellation settings for the N4. There was a huge delay with att hspa and the lesser reception of tmobile makes it completely unusable.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
In the exact same location I am getting 36 down during mid-day. Very impressive speeds.

Penetration is the same with LTE, maybe slightly better. Difference is minor.

View attachment 74739

You should definitely do better than that! :) Stand right on that traffic light light island on 22nd. That's the sweet spot :)

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
You should definitely do better than that! :) Stand right on that traffic light light island on 22nd. That's the sweet spot :)

I was sitting in my car right across. I think it was related to the time of day.

Are they releasing that for the entire city?

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Good to know. I have been using the paid version of grooveip. Works great on wifi as long as I have the proper echo cancellation settings for the N4. There was a huge delay with att hspa and the lesser reception of tmobile makes it completely unusable.

Groove ip did not work for me, talkatone worked just fine with no adjustments to the settings.

Last edited:

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Groove ip did not work for me with Nebraska talkatone worked just fine with no adjustments to the settings.

Interesting. I am going to wait and test grooveip once I get my S4GE (since I have the pay version). If it doesn't work I'll try talkatone.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513