Why do pics look great PRE-photo and then darker AFTER

Bark4Soul

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Title pretty much sums it up, I thought this was the best camera (or close to it) on the market of smart phones, it brags of all the different modes yet most pics come out the same. Now it could be user error on my fault, so if that is the case some pointers would def help but all my pics come out wat darker after I hit capture.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Remember that AMOLED screens make your blacks appear 'blacker', especially when viewing photos from the phone. Try seeing if the problem persists while looking at the same photos on a PC.

If that's not the case, I'd just like to say that the Galaxy S4's camera isn't really suited for low light captures.

Bark4Soul

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Remember that AMOLED screens make your blacks appear 'blacker', especially when viewing photos from the phone. Try seeing if the problem persists while looking at the same photos on a PC.

If that's not the case, I'd just like to say that the Galaxy S4's camera isn't really suited for low light captures.

I dunno I saw some epic pics taken on the GS 3 so I dunno if it is the indoor shots I take or if I am not using the camera right to begin with. The screen may be fooling me, cause as I am framing my shot, it looks epic, then once it's done processing it turns out dark, with the flash on it's usually too much flash. I dunno, maybe I'm being picky?

Mary Ellen Lomax

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I found this thread because I was having the same problem. Picture looks great in the view finder, but when I viewed the picture I had just taken, it was dark. Adjusting the picture settings didn't help. What finally made a difference was the display setting. I had the brightness set to Auto to save battery life, therefore dimming the screen. Now I just toggle that off to view photos.

LadyLove23

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I just joined this forum to say this to Mary Ellen:

YOU!!! You just changed my life!!! I've been soooo disappointed with my phone's pictures all this time, and I got the phone the day it came out (pre-ordered)! I changed the brightness, and BOOM crystal clear & non-dark pictures. I am sooo happy!

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
If a picture is taken during the day time, it will be much more clear than if taken during the night or in dark / shade... It also depends on the contrast and brightness you have kept.. Try changing a few settings and it should do the trick

Knarf_the_real

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue here with a Samsung S6 Edge plus.
I used to have an s4 mini in the past which had the exact same problem.

It is definitely NOT a display brightness issue, when I take a pic with an iPhone and my S6, and then put them on a computer, I can clearly see a massive difference in exposure in the pic itself on my screen.

So something happens behind the scene which screws all the pics you take. As simple as that.
And it seems nobody really found a solution for that as far as I can see. More concerning, is that everyone seems to consider it is normal. Really disappointing.

termderd

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone! I was looking up something else on google and saw this thread and as a professional photographer I wanted to offer up an explanation. Before your camera takes a picture, it only needs to offer up a preview. The preview image is horribly noise ridden and only around 3 megapixels, so it doesn't matter. It looks great on your screen because you can't zoom in on it and the camera can crank it's ISO (like film on old cameras) to offer up a reasonable preview. BUT then when it takes a picture, image quality is a priority. So it will lower the ISO as low as it can so you're happy with your low light pictures, or else people will complain that they just have a noisy mess. The big limitation here is the fact that camera phones are typically hand held, so the camera can't leave its shutter open long enough to collect the amount of light required for low light shooting. So its back is up against the wall, it can't leave the shutter open or your pictures will be motion blurry/streaky and it can't crank the ISO because they'll be so noisy/grainy that you'll be disappointed. So it does the best with what it can. Phones are compromised compared to a dedicated stand alone camera system that has better high ISO performance, has optical image stabilization for night hand holding, and fast F stop lenses to let in all the light that it can. Your phone might offer you up a good preview with a decent exposure that it can't actually execute.

Hope this helps. It doesn't really solve anything for you guys, just wanted to explain the physics behind it.

austxmax

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Just joined this thread to say Thank You! to Marry Ellen. You are awesome! Wish I'd found this thread hours/days ago. Thank you very very much!!