Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    evperry's Avatar

    Posts
    335 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

    Default T-Mobile Hotspot on GE S4

    Ok.

    Can someone try out their hotspot on the GE S4 on tmobile. I just wanna make sure its not locked. Im about 99% sure it cant be but........
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 07-14-2013 at 08:30 AM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: T mobile Hotshot on GE S4

    I just tested it with a T-Mobile SIM in the phone. I can confirm that WiFi Hotspot works on the i9505G. I'm trying out the $30/month Unlimited data/text, 100 minute plan.
    Last edited by TrivialTweeter; 07-13-2013 at 01:22 AM.
    BB 8320>G1>BB 8900>BB 9700>G2>Nexus S>Droid Charge>Droid Bionic>Droid RAZR>Galaxy Nexus>GE Galaxy S4
  3. #3  

    Default Re: T mobile Hotshot on GE S4

    Quote Originally Posted by TrivialTweeter View Post
    I just tested it with a T-Mobile SIM in the phone. I can confirm that WiFi Hotspot works on the i-9595G. I'm trying out the $30/month Unlimited data/text, 100 minute plan.
    Can you/anyone clear up a related stock android tethering question? Ive read articles and seen comments made that vanilla android's native tethering capability somehow foils any carriers ability to block or take issue with a customer's use of the hotspot feature. This contention doesn't jibe with my understanding of “unauthorized" tethering and how its use is monitored and enforced...but I'd be interested to hear some input on this point. Im on AIO (att prepaid) and ive heard that prepaid carriers are ruthless in this regard, ie if they detect it they will sometimes cut your service off entirely. Does the fact that tethering is built into stock Android somehow make it “safe" and carrier-proof to use? Thanks.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Nexus 5/Moto X
  4. #4  

    Default Re: T mobile Hotshot on GE S4

    Carriers can intelligent data packet sniff. [Tmobile dose this perios, others claim to not but idk]

    Ill pretend im ur carrier.

    Step 1

    This means I can see what processor and os you are using with data sniffing.

    The best way to avoid this is to only teather android devices. Or to rout ur data through ur phone with foxfis plugin.

    Step 2

    Hmm you used an awful lot of data there soney.

    So I assume your teathering or in some way breaking our terms of service and cut u off till u call.

    Im going to ask u things like do youbuse youtube or pandora radio [both of which straight talk and net10 do not alow along with teathering] they also do not alow you to modify the device in any way [im not sure if this includes installing apps as they in some sence modify]

    But they dont realy know so play it cool.

    They are getting worse though. My advice, tmobile sim on net 10, just buy a new one every month and use and abuse that data connection. Or. Play it safe for a while n then go over a lil. 2gb is over in there book.

    Straight talk is tmobile as well.


    Goodluck



    Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk HD
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    evperry's Avatar

    Posts
    335 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

    Default Re: T mobile Hotshot on GE S4

    Quote Originally Posted by TrivialTweeter View Post
    I just tested it with a T-Mobile SIM in the phone. I can confirm that WiFi Hotspot works on the i9505G. I'm trying out the $30/month Unlimited data/text, 100 minute plan.
    Thanks.

    How does your LTE work?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
  6. #6  

    Default Re: T mobile Hotshot on GE S4

    Quote Originally Posted by prepaidguy9081 View Post
    Carriers can intelligent data packet sniff. [Tmobile dose this perios, others claim to not but idk]

    Ill pretend im ur carrier.

    Step 1

    This means I can see what processor and os you are using with data sniffing.

    The best way to avoid this is to only teather android devices. Or to rout ur data through ur phone with foxfis plugin.

    Step 2

    Hmm you used an awful lot of data there soney.

    So I assume your teathering or in some way breaking our terms of service and cut u off till u call.

    Im going to ask u things like do youbuse youtube or pandora radio [both of which straight talk and net10 do not alow along with teathering] they also do not alow you to modify the device in any way [im not sure if this includes installing apps as they in some sence modify]

    But they dont realy know so play it cool.

    They are getting worse though. My advice, tmobile sim on net 10, just buy a new one every month and use and abuse that data connection. Or. Play it safe for a while n then go over a lil. 2gb is over in there book.

    Straight talk is tmobile as well.


    Goodluck



    Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk HD
    So what you're saying is stock provides no special protections against carrier wrath for unauthorized tethering (packet sniffing, TTL monitoring trumps all). Thanks for the entertaining dimension to the reply....I enjoy a good faux dialogue now and then. Personally, I don't need to tether so badly that id go to the hassle of getting another SIM just to use the hotspot feature. I was just curious given the claims Ive read. Cheers.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Nexus 5/Moto X
  7. #7  

    Default Re: T mobile Hotshot on GE S4

    Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    Thanks.

    How does your LTE work?
    I've only had it a little more than a day now, and have not had a chance to test it out in many areas. Speedtest results have been between 4-6Mbps down and 3.5-9Mbps up the few times I've tested. I only had 1-2 bars of LTE signal at the places I ran speedtests. I'm sure speeds are a bit better in areas where the signal is stronger.
    BB 8320>G1>BB 8900>BB 9700>G2>Nexus S>Droid Charge>Droid Bionic>Droid RAZR>Galaxy Nexus>GE Galaxy S4
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    evperry's Avatar

    Posts
    335 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

    Default Re: T mobile Hotshot on GE S4

    Quote Originally Posted by TrivialTweeter View Post
    I've only had it a little more than a day now, and have not had a chance to test it out in many areas. Speedtest results have been between 4-6Mbps down and 3.5-9Mbps up the few times I've tested. I only had 1-2 bars of LTE signal at the places I ran speedtests. I'm sure speeds are a bit better in areas where the signal is stronger.
    How about building penetration?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
  9. #9  

    Default Re: T mobile Hotshot on GE S4

    Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    How about building penetration?
    My 1-2 bars of LTE reception have all been inside of buildings. I haven't had a chance to test it outdoors yet. I can report back again tomorrow after I see what kind of signal strength I get in my office building.
    BB 8320>G1>BB 8900>BB 9700>G2>Nexus S>Droid Charge>Droid Bionic>Droid RAZR>Galaxy Nexus>GE Galaxy S4
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    evperry's Avatar

    Posts
    335 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

    Default Re: T mobile Hotshot on GE S4

    Quote Originally Posted by TrivialTweeter View Post
    My 1-2 bars of LTE reception have all been inside of buildings. I haven't had a chance to test it outdoors yet. I can report back again tomorrow after I see what kind of signal strength I get in my office building.
    Is it better than HSPA plus penetration?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
  11. #11  

    Default Re: T mobile Hotshot on GE S4

    Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    Is it better than HSPA plus penetration?
    Hard for me to say really. This is the first GSM phone I've had & used on T-Mobile since my Nexus S a few years ago, so it's difficult for to compare the penetration of signals. In the areas of L.A. I've been in HSPA signal strength seems to be a lot stronger than LTE. I usually get 1, maybe 2 bars of LTE signal where I live, but I get a full 4 bars of HSPA.

    Here are some signal strength readings taken in the same exact spot with LTE on and off.
    LTE: -108dBm 32asu (1 bar)
    HSPA:-79dBm 17asu (4bars)
    BB 8320>G1>BB 8900>BB 9700>G2>Nexus S>Droid Charge>Droid Bionic>Droid RAZR>Galaxy Nexus>GE Galaxy S4

Similar Threads

  1. Smart Remote for Galaxy S4 no longer available on play store
    By David B79 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-16-2013, 06:05 PM
  2. Question about different Samsung Galaxy S4 unlocked models
    By Luis Castaneda3 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooting, ROMs & Hacks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 10:10 AM
  3. Galaxy S4 Case Neo Hybrid Frames -- $10.99 each
    By Wilbur in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-14-2013, 01:31 AM
  4. How do I UNroot / revert to factory settings for an s4 Active?
    By Miamitj in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 09:31 PM
  5. GS4 GE Does not support Bluetooth data tethering?
    By ChadTheDJ in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

B