Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mattopotamus
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Galaxy S4 GE - Feature Questions: Gallery, Photo Rotation & Cropping, Delete Image, Phone Reset

    Since there doesn't seem to be any documentation for stock android on the Galaxy S4GE, I've been fumbling around and learning the UI, and I'm curious about a few features that seem wrong, missing, or that maybe *I'M* just missing.

    1. I'm finding a LOT of unpredictability when sharing photos. Via MMS or certain other apps -- though the images preview with the correct orientation in the gallery -- when sending, the image orientation sometimes flips (A portrait photo will end up rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise in landscape mode)... I've also had them appear completely upside down. Anyone know a fix -- or if this is a "known issue" that may receive a bug fix? (Is it ALL stock android, or just the galaxy?)
    2. When taking photos -- the preview doesn't match the aspect ratio of the final photograph (i.e. a landscape photo appears to be a very wide aspect ratio, but when the pic is taken, there is additional image data on the top and bottom of the photo that did not appear in the preview. What the hell?
    3. In the gallery -- is there really no button to delete an image, forcing users to hit menu first? Is there a quicker way? This also applies to the expanded view of an image in the notification bar (like a screenshot) -- where there is a share button, but no "delete" button. (This delete button appears in the version with Touchwiz.
    4. In the gallery -- how the hell to I remove Picasa albums? I've got a whole bunch of old photos, but there doesn't seem to be a way to hide them.
    5. Speaking of hiding images in the gallery -- is there a way to hide folders from the gallery? (Not that I have porn on there or anything... but... I have porn on there, I don't want appearing each time someone looks at pics in my gallery.
    6. Long pressing the power button doesn't seem to show a "reset" button anymore. Just "power off", airplane mode and sound profiles. Where the hell did it go? And how do I get it back?


    If anyone can shed light on any of these topics I'd totally appreciate it.
    (Though I'm sad google doesn't seem to have a comprehensive guide for this stuff, and I'm curious and very hopeful that some of these issues will be addressed in OS updates... anyone in the know?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 GE - Feature Questions: Gallery, Photo Rotation & Cropping, Delete Image, Phone Reset

    Quote Originally Posted by shanesaccount View Post
    Since there doesn't seem to be any documentation for stock android on the Galaxy S4GE, I've been fumbling around and learning the UI, and I'm curious about a few features that seem wrong, missing, or that maybe *I'M* just missing.

    1. I'm finding a LOT of unpredictability when sharing photos. Via MMS or certain other apps -- though the images preview with the correct orientation in the gallery -- when sending, the image orientation sometimes flips (A portrait photo will end up rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise in landscape mode)... I've also had them appear completely upside down. Anyone know a fix -- or if this is a "known issue" that may receive a bug fix? (Is it ALL stock android, or just the galaxy?)
    2. When taking photos -- the preview doesn't match the aspect ratio of the final photograph (i.e. a landscape photo appears to be a very wide aspect ratio, but when the pic is taken, there is additional image data on the top and bottom of the photo that did not appear in the preview. What the hell?
    3. In the gallery -- is there really no button to delete an image, forcing users to hit menu first? Is there a quicker way? This also applies to the expanded view of an image in the notification bar (like a screenshot) -- where there is a share button, but no "delete" button. (This delete button appears in the version with Touchwiz.
    4. In the gallery -- how the hell to I remove Picasa albums? I've got a whole bunch of old photos, but there doesn't seem to be a way to hide them.
    5. Speaking of hiding images in the gallery -- is there a way to hide folders from the gallery? (Not that I have porn on there or anything... but... I have porn on there, I don't want appearing each time someone looks at pics in my gallery.
    6. Long pressing the power button doesn't seem to show a "reset" button anymore. Just "power off", airplane mode and sound profiles. Where the hell did it go? And how do I get it back?


    If anyone can shed light on any of these topics I'd totally appreciate it.
    (Though I'm sad google doesn't seem to have a comprehensive guide for this stuff, and I'm curious and very hopeful that some of these issues will be addressed in OS updates... anyone in the know?
    1. I have this issue all of the time on my nexus 4, I think it is a stock android issue.
    2. Same as 1
    3. If you change the view mode to film strip, you can swipe a photo up or down to delete. Also, try a long press on the photo you want to delelte and a trash can may come up at the bottom.
    4.to hide picasa, go to settings---apps--all app---gallary---and clear cash. Make sure sync picasa is off on your Accounts--google before.
    5. not sure
    6. You would have to root and use a custom ROM, stock only has the choices you mentioned.

    in the notification drop down menu, if you do a two finger split or long press and then pull down more options will appear for a notification. For example, on an email there will be reply, trash, archive.
    Thanked by:
    shanesaccount likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 GE - Feature Questions: Gallery, Photo Rotation & Cropping, Delete Image, Phone Reset

    Hey thanks a lot Matt
    Re: Camera... Boo
    Re: Swipe to delete... Yay...
    Re: picasa... Sync setting don't show it. Only sync Google photos which I have unchecked, and cache cleared... But still no luck. :/

    Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S4 GE - Feature Questions: Gallery, Photo Rotation & Cropping, Delete Image, Phone Reset-2013-07-16-09.52.30.jpg  
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 GE - Feature Questions: Gallery, Photo Rotation & Cropping, Delete Image, Phone Reset

    Oh... And I can't believe that hide folder isn't an option in the stock gallery... I've had that option for years with HTC sense and in Touch wiz... How could this feature be ignored in stock?!

    Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 GE - Feature Questions: Gallery, Photo Rotation & Cropping, Delete Image, Phone Reset

    Quote Originally Posted by shanesaccount View Post
    Oh... And I can't believe that hide folder isn't an option in the stock gallery... I've had that option for years with HTC sense and in Touch wiz... How could this feature be ignored in stock?!

    Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    There are very effective workarounds for this:

    Thanked by:
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 GE - Feature Questions: Gallery, Photo Rotation & Cropping, Delete Image, Phone Reset

    Quote Originally Posted by shanesaccount View Post
    Since there doesn't seem to be any documentation for stock android on the Galaxy S4GE, I've been fumbling around and learning the UI, and I'm curious about a few features that seem wrong, missing, or that maybe *I'M* just missing.

    1. I'm finding a LOT of unpredictability when sharing photos. Via MMS or certain other apps -- though the images preview with the correct orientation in the gallery -- when sending, the image orientation sometimes flips (A portrait photo will end up rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise in landscape mode)... I've also had them appear completely upside down. Anyone know a fix -- or if this is a "known issue" that may receive a bug fix? (Is it ALL stock android, or just the galaxy?)
    2. When taking photos -- the preview doesn't match the aspect ratio of the final photograph (i.e. a landscape photo appears to be a very wide aspect ratio, but when the pic is taken, there is additional image data on the top and bottom of the photo that did not appear in the preview. What the hell?
    3. In the gallery -- is there really no button to delete an image, forcing users to hit menu first? Is there a quicker way? This also applies to the expanded view of an image in the notification bar (like a screenshot) -- where there is a share button, but no "delete" button. (This delete button appears in the version with Touchwiz.
    4. In the gallery -- how the hell to I remove Picasa albums? I've got a whole bunch of old photos, but there doesn't seem to be a way to hide them.
    5. Speaking of hiding images in the gallery -- is there a way to hide folders from the gallery? (Not that I have porn on there or anything... but... I have porn on there, I don't want appearing each time someone looks at pics in my gallery.
    6. Long pressing the power button doesn't seem to show a "reset" button anymore. Just "power off", airplane mode and sound profiles. Where the hell did it go? And how do I get it back?


    If anyone can shed light on any of these topics I'd totally appreciate it.
    (Though I'm sad google doesn't seem to have a comprehensive guide for this stuff, and I'm curious and very hopeful that some of these issues will be addressed in OS updates... anyone in the know?
    Welcome to stock Android LOL. There are a lot of things that Touchwiz provides that are beneficial and people don't want to give Samsung credit for it. At the end of the day most are going to look for and download apps that so what some of the stock touchwiz did. Many might as well just loaded Nova launcher with stock Android icons and boom LOL. Anyhow, for your #6, you can download Quick Boot (if rooted) . If gives you all the options that you had before when pressing the power button.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 GE - Feature Questions: Gallery, Photo Rotation & Cropping, Delete Image, Phone Reset

    Quote Originally Posted by kgbkny View Post
    There are very effective workarounds for this:

    Thanks... Yeah -- there are workarounds that can get the job done... But using a "workaround" is just not as easy as it should be.

    Hidden folders/albums has already been identified as a core piece of functionality... if multiple phone manufacturers have included this kind of album / hidden album feature in their own development for years now, it should be pretty obvious that this feature should be just as relevant as "delete photo". It would be nice to rely upon the stock gallery to do this without having to add on a separate iOS like "file vault" or manually move and transfer photos to a secondary drive in a hidden folder.

    Maybe with all the "nexus experience" devices that Google is starting to offer, google will focus a little more of their development effort on expanding the featuresets of the stock applications... correcting the photo rotation issues, cropping issues, gallery robustness. Frankly, I'm a little surprised that things are where they are with version 4.2.2. Hoping that 4.3 is dramatically better. <fingers crossed>
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 GE - Feature Questions: Gallery, Photo Rotation & Cropping, Delete Image, Phone Reset

    Quote Originally Posted by shanesaccount View Post
    Hey thanks a lot Matt
    Re: Camera... Boo
    Re: Swipe to delete... Yay...
    Re: picasa... Sync setting don't show it. Only sync Google photos which I have unchecked, and cache cleared... But still no luck. :/

    Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    any luck removing it? If you do not have any pictures saved that you care about, try delete data instead of clear cache. It will delete all photos though.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 GE - Feature Questions: Gallery, Photo Rotation & Cropping, Delete Image, Phone Reset

    Nope. No luck. WIth the menu option for picasa web albums seemingly missing from the settings screens, I think the only way to remove them from my phone might be that I have to delete them from online altogether. :/ meh.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 GE - Feature Questions: Gallery, Photo Rotation & Cropping, Delete Image, Phone Reset

    Quote Originally Posted by shanesaccount View Post
    Nope. No luck. WIth the menu option for picasa web albums seemingly missing from the settings screens, I think the only way to remove them from my phone might be that I have to delete them from online altogether. :/ meh.
    To remove them from the phone.

    -Make sure Google photos sync is OFF in your syn settings
    - go to settings--then apps--- then ALL---then gallery.

    Clear data ---- Force stop---restart your phone

    Picasa pics will be gone. Just make sure to keep google photos sync OFF
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 GE - Feature Questions: Gallery, Photo Rotation & Cropping, Delete Image, Phone Reset

    Won't this delete all photos from my phone?

    Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 GE - Feature Questions: Gallery, Photo Rotation & Cropping, Delete Image, Phone Reset

    Alternately you could use a gallery replacement app (I use QuickPic, which is great) which lets you exclude folders easily.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 GE - Feature Questions: Gallery, Photo Rotation & Cropping, Delete Image, Phone Reset

    Quote Originally Posted by shanesaccount View Post
    Won't this delete all photos from my phone?

    Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    It might.

    What I would do is store the photos on your phone on your computer. Then clear the data to get rid of picassa and then put the photos back on from your computer
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 GE - Feature Questions: Gallery, Photo Rotation & Cropping, Delete Image, Phone Reset

    Use flikr to backup photos. They give you a terabyte for free
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 GE - Feature Questions: Gallery, Photo Rotation & Cropping, Delete Image, Phone Reset

    Quote Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
    Alternately you could use a gallery replacement app (I use QuickPic, which is great) which lets you exclude folders easily.
    Yep, Quikpic for me too. Installs in seconds and fixes all these issues

Similar Threads

  1. The Firmware Update Conundrum...Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337)
    By Ryan Gehret in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 08:21 PM
  2. Which Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 or Galaxy Note 8.0?
    By Metal Chaos in forum Misc. Tablet Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2013, 03:45 PM
  3. having issues with connecting phone to pc
    By myIphone4s in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 11:13 PM
  4. Best way to get my Galaxy S4 data, apps, layout etc to a new Galaxy S4
    By dankduke1 in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 06:16 PM
  5. Google Edition Galaxy S4 User Guide?
    By Kane Bragg in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 01:22 AM

Posting Permissions

B