Wireless Charging the Google Editon S4?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyone tried it? I am sure the hardware is the same as the TW S4's but I am not sure if the wireless charging is controlled by software?

Last edited:

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Wireless Charge the Google Editon S4?

Anyone tried it? I am sure the hardware is the same as the TW S4's but I am not sure if the wireless charging is controlled by software?

Good question. I would guess it's software driven but maybe I'm wrong.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

jsabo

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

I got one of the Touchstone chargers recommended in the main S4 forum, and it works just fine. After 4 years of not plugging in a phone to charge it, it was nice to not have to go back.

If that hack charger works, I have to believe that a Samsung charger would also be fine-- there's only one set of contacts back there after all. The only reason I can think of why it might not work is if the normal charger was reporting back telemetry and the phone decided to reject it.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I got one of the Touchstone chargers recommended in the main S4 forum, and it works just fine. After 4 years of not plugging in a phone to charge it, it was nice to not have to go back.

If that hack charger works, I have to believe that a Samsung charger would also be fine-- there's only one set of contacts back there after all. The only reason I can think of why it might not work is if the normal charger was reporting back telemetry and the phone decided to reject it.

So you are wirelessly charging your Google Edition S4?

I have all the stuff for my TW S4 i.e. qi charging pad and charging back. I have been too afraid to try it. I may still wait until I get coverage with square trade which I usually wait two weeks to make sure this phone is a keeper and nothing is wrong with it.

Sent from my GT-I9505G

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Okay after building up my nerve...I popped my Samsung OEM charging back onto my Google Edition S4 and placed it on my charging pad and it beeped and started charging. There was no box that popped up to say it is wirelessly charging like on the TW S4 but it was clearly charging on the battery icon and in the status it said AC charging. I waited about 15 minutes and the battery % went up about 4 or 5 %...

For those that are interested, it does indeed work...

jsabo

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
So you are wirelessly charging your Google Edition S4?

I have all the stuff for my TW S4 i.e. qi charging pad and charging back. I have been too afraid to try it. I may still wait until I get coverage with square trade which I usually wait two weeks to make sure this phone is a keeper and nothing is wrong with it.

Sent from my GT-I9505G

Yes, I use this almost exclusively, and have only had one issue. I think I mis-aligned it when I tried to turn the screen off in the middle of the night, because I realized the next day that I had only 30% charge instead of the 90% I should have had at that time.

To save on space, they have much smaller magnets in there than I had on the Pre-- it just means I need to be more picky about how I set it on the charger. But $25 to be able to reuse all my existing chargers is more than worth it.

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

Okay after building up my nerve...I popped my Samsung OEM charging back onto my Google Edition S4 and placed it on my charging pad and it beeped and started charging. There was no box that popped up to say it is wirelessly charging like on the TW S4 but it was clearly charging on the battery icon and in the status it said AC charging. I waited about 15 minutes and the battery % went up about 4 or 5 %...

How much thicker/heavier is the Samsung S4 wireless charging back? How much did you pay for that and the charging pad? I've only seen like 110-120 on Amazon for the both

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
How much thicker/heavier is the Samsung S4 wireless charging back? How much did you pay for that and the charging pad? I've only seen like 110-120 on Amazon for the both

It does make the phone thicker and heavier. In fact most cases will not fit.

When I registered my Touchwiz S4 with Samsung they send you a 50% off coupon so it was $20 for the back only. I had the charging pad already from my nexus 4.

You can also get a wireless receiver pad that fits inside the back for 10-15 and you can use the OEM back and cases.

Sent from my GT-I9505G

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
It does make the phone thicker and heavier. In fact most cases will not fit.

When I registered my Touchwiz S4 with Samsung they send you a 50% off coupon so it was $20 for the back only. I had the charging pad already from my nexus 4.

You can also get a wireless receiver pad that fits inside the back for 10-15 and you can use the OEM back and cases.

Sent from my GT-I9505G

receiver pad option sounds interesting.. i'll have to do more research

fulleraj

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Just installed the Sammy OEM wireless charger back plate and squeezed it into my otterbox defender case. It fits, but just barely enough to snap together..... had to scrape off the foam cushion inside back of otterbox inner case. Just a tad heavier and charges nicely while in the case. Got both items 50% off with the droid-life coupon code for the official Samsung site.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/3...s4-qi-wireless-charging-pad-with-this-coupon/

Sent from my GALAXY S4 Google Edition using Tapatalk 4.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
yes, some cases do fit, most do not. I have a Roos bumper which works well with the charging back but I did not like have the back bare, so I tried a Cruzerlite TPU case and it does work. I also got a receiver pad off ebay that works with the OEM back and fits all the cases. I do not think it charges as fast as the OEM but it is ok as both are slower than using the USB charger.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

That's the normal stock Android wireless charging behavior. The window is a TouchWiz thing.

khanumaiah1

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have tired two different receivers and charging pads. Both of the receivers are aftermarket, and one of the charging pads is the Samsung charging pad. While I don't have any problems charging, when the phone indicates a full charge, neither of my charging pads indicate that it is full. Commons sense tells me that this is a good way to blow something up, but the battery actually seems to cool off once phone indicates that it is full. Does anyone have any ideas or feedback on this?

Thanks,

Kiran

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have tired two different receivers and charging pads. Both of the receivers are aftermarket, and one of the charging pads is the Samsung charging pad. While I don't have any problems charging, when the phone indicates a full charge, neither of my charging pads indicate that it is full. Commons sense tells me that this is a good way to blow something up, but the battery actually seems to cool off once phone indicates that it is full. Does anyone have any ideas or feedback on this?

I doubt it would damage the battery. I have a LG mat and I cannot remember of it tells me the phone is charged. I usually go by the phone

Thanks,

Kiran

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance