4.3 SD write access

Xceptiona1

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I was having all sorts of troubles figuring out how to allow apps write to the sd card and found various posts that I compiled to give your apps write access after the 4.3 update.

To fix SD card access on google edition s4

4.3 android

install google usb driver
https://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

root device ? taken from post below
[GT-I9505] CF-Auto-Root - xda-developers

Download and unzip CF-Root Download
- If you end up with a*recovery.img*and*cache.img*file, you've extracted*twice. You need to end up with a*.tar.md5*file - don't extract that one
- (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
- Start*Odin3-vX.X.exe
- Click the PDA button, and select*CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
- Put your phone in*download*mode (turn off phone, then hold*VolDown+Home+Power*to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run*adb reboot download*command)
- (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
- Make sure*Repartition*is*NOT*checked
- Click the*Start*button
- Wait for Android to boot
- Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

Once you have things rooted you can go into the superuser app and from within it there is a remove option, use that and reinstall from the play store and also pay for the pro version to support being able to do this.

* optional after you are all rooted and updated you can install things like goomanager and from goomanager you can install openrecovery script from the menu options, this will install a new recovery manager so future use

install root explorer app or some other file manager that can use root then

1. navigate to /system/etc/permissions and make sure you have mounted the file system r/w.
2. Edit platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...<group gid="media_rw" />
4. Save the changes to the file.
5. Restart your device

at this point you should be able to write to the sd card from applications once again.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all of you work on this! ES file explorer can write and delete from the ext SD card without root so I am hoping the camera apps developers can fix this without root. I do not really want to root and do the work to save to the ext SD card. I wonder why Samsung let this happen or if they overlooked this change in the 4.3 code since the S4 google edition is one of if not the only vanilla android device with a ext SD card. Hopefully they will get it worked out but for now I am using ES file exploer to move files, pics, videos to ext SD card as needed.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I hope it was an oversight, but likely they just got it out the door without noticing. I wonder what KLP has in store for us.

Xceptiona1

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
After making those changes I did go ahead and unroot my device, because goog wallet does not like root and also winamp was giving me some troubles...so I edited the file and unrooted and everything is working fine on mine.

maconsultant

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I called Google about this and they have no recall of gimping sd card access. I for one rather return the device for a full refund rather than have to root to gain access to my sd card. When they announced the device they touted the fact that it had an sd card slot as well as a removable battery.. When the phone was released on 4.2.2 it performed fine, and only after the 4.3 OTA did we lose write access to the SD card. It's kind of like principal for me.. No i don't want to use my iPhone 5 on iOS 7, but hey it is what it is.

Something tells me this was not an oversight on Googles part.. I think they did it on purpose and are taking the stance if nobody says anything then we will leave it as it is R/O. It can only boost usage of the Google drive product, which to me removes the main reason for going the android way in the first place.. CHOICE.!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I called Google about this and they have no recall of gimping sd card access. I for one rather return the device for a full refund rather than have to root to gain access to my sd card. When they announced the device they touted the fact that it had an sd card slot as well as a removable battery.. When the phone was released on 4.2.2 it performed fine, and only after the 4.3 OTA did we lose write access to the SD card. It's kind of like principal for me.. No i don't want to use my iPhone 5 on iOS 7, but hey it is what it is.

Something tells me this was not an oversight on Googles part.. I think they did it on purpose and are taking the stance if nobody says anything then we will leave it as it is R/O. It can only boost usage of the Google drive product, which to me removes the main reason for going the android way in the first place.. CHOICE.!
I hear you but vanilla android does not use a ext sd card so that would be Samsung's part to make sure that the update was good for the ext SD card. The google editions are not pure vanilla code so Samsung updates the code for the S4 Google edition I believe and then gives it to google to push as an update.

ES file explorer can still write and delete to the extsdcard and this is a free app and no root is needed. So that still gives us access to store and delete to the extsdcard but it is not as convenient as having the app do it.

Does anyone know who at Samsung we need to contact since I fear a general email or phone call will get no response. Also the app developers can fix this but I am not sure why they are taking so long. They probably do not have an S4 GE to test it on. I have sent this thread to a few developers so they can see what the OP did to get his S4 writing to the extsdcard again.

I know the developer for JB+ camera is working on it. I think we need to definitely support the app developers who fix this and put appropriate ratings in for those that do not.

maconsultant

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I did the same thing the OP did and have access to my SD card but we shouldn't have to jump through hoops to use our SD cards the way we used to use them in the prior OS revision.

Thanks for responding to my post in this thread..

Sent from another Galaxy..
S4 Google Edition...

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I did the same thing the OP did and have access to my SD card but we shouldn't have to jump through hoops to use our SD cards the way we used to use them in the prior OS revision.

Thanks for responding to my post in this thread..

S4 Google Edition...

I wish I had the technical expertise to do it...I use to root and ROM but it has been many years. I would hate to brick my $700 GE edition!

maconsultant

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
It is very easy to do.. You would..

1. Unlock your boot loader
2. Boot into CWM or TWRP
3. Side load the SU binary
4. Reboot
5. Edit the platform.XML file to allow R/W access to the SD card
6. Unroot
7. Reboot
8. Re-lock bootloader

That is a high level over view of the steps.

S4 Google Edition...

spacolin

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
For everyone with a unrooted S4 google edition. As you know the ability of many apps to be able to write to the sd card was busted with the 4.3 update. Just got off the phone with Samsung and explained the situation and they said they have not received any other calls on this and basically nothing will be done until they receive more calls. So please let them know. their number is 1 800 726 7864 Thank you!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
For everyone with a unrooted S4 google edition. As you know the ability of many apps to be able to write to the sd card was busted with the 4.3 update. Just got off the phone with Samsung and explained the situation and they said they have not received any other calls on this and basically nothing will be done until they receive more calls. So please let them know. their number is 1 800 726 7864 Thank you!

Thanks for that! I will call them Monday. Any email address? We could send them a link to this and Jerry's article.

maconsultant

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
We are getting some exposure and hopefully this gets fixed ASAP.. @spacolin I'll give Samsung a call now.. Thanks Jerry for the Article.!

S4 Google Edition...

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone in the Dallas area made the changes in this thread and fixed their ext SD card write issue?

Sent from my GT-I9505G

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I was chatting with Samsung yesterday and they gave me this number as well for mobile support. She said they could escalate the issue from this number quicker than she could.

You can contact our voice support at 1-888-987-4357, Mon-Fri: 7 AM - 9 PM (CST), Sat: 9 AM - 6 PM (CST).

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I sent an email to Samsung through their website. I am surprise that it actually looks like they read it. I linked Jerry's article to it so they would understand the issue. I will also call today...

EDIT: I aslo called the mobile customer service number @1-888-987-4357, Mon-Fri: 7 AM - 9 PM (CST), Sat: 9 AM - 6 PM (CST). They did ask me for the IMEI number to my phone. I also told them to Google 4.3 issues with the S4 Google edition to see the issues. He said he would forward up. If you have a S4 GE please call even if this is not a big deal to you. Thanks.

Thank you for contacting Samsung Telecommunications America.

After reviewing your email, we understand that after updating your Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play edition with the Android 4.3 version, most apps can no longer write anything to the SD card. We apologize for the inconvenience.

We have checked the website you send to us. Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding the same. There might be an enhancement in future software updates.

We will forward your feedback to the concern department for a review. However, you can check our troubleshooting guides on the Samsung website for the resolution in future.

We once again apologize for any inconvenience that might have caused to you.

Please get back to us if you have any further concerns. We will be available 24/7 to assist you.

If you have a minute, please click on the ?Start survey here? link at the bottom of this email to fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Kindly note that you can access the survey page only when the pop-up blocker is disabled on the browser. Have a wonderful day!

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Keisha
Technical Support

Last edited:

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Great follow up guys, thanks. I was hoping not to have to root to get SD card access, looks like they're working on it!

I'm assuming ES File Explorer cannot move apps correct?

With the process mentioned above, can I root, move certain apps to the sd card, and then "unroot" and everything will work as planned?

I hate having to go through all of this.. might as well have bought a regular S4, with larger internal memory to boot

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It has not been enough of an issue for me to root etc. Although SamuriHL looks to have simplified the rooting process. ES cannot move the app just files.
I think if you root and fix the platform.xml file that it says even if you unroot. That way your apps will be able to write to your external SD card again.
As much as I want this fixed it has not been a big deal for me to move pictures or video to the ext SD card using ES file explorer. ES has a batching feature where you long press a file and you can select all files in the folder or in this case pictures and move them to the pictures folder on the external SD card. Takes a good 15 seconds or so. Not sure about the apps to SD thing. I know my carrier S4 was updated to include this feature but pure android does not as we know.

Hopefully Samsung is working on a fix. Having said all of that if I could have stayed on 4.2.2, I would. You are not really missing anything on 4.3.

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
yeah i think neither of us are really interested in going this route, though i may look into it if it if i can permanently move apps to the sd card. there's one im thinking of in particular

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12