Can hardware buttons be disabled?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I am considering buying a GE S4.

I currently have a Nexus 4 and have gotten attached to the softkey Nav buttons. Yes, I was a huge critic of them at first...but now I want them. Is there a way to disable Nav from hardware buttons and activate softkeys instead?

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
There is. The method is similar, but the files are different for some devices. I actually have a tutorial type thing on how to do this in the Note 8 forums, but that may differ from the S4. If you find it and look at how it's done, you may be able to figure out how to do it on the S4 yourself.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I am considering buying a GE S4.

I currently have a Nexus 4 and have gotten attached to the softkey Nav buttons. Yes, I was a huge critic of them at first...but now I want them. Is there a way to disable Nav from hardware buttons and activate softkeys instead?

I know you are a fan if the external SD card and it is nice but just be advised that the 4.3 update for the s4 GPe broke third party apps ability to write to the external card. You can still access stuff on the card but a third party camera app for instance can no longer write to the external SD card.

You can root and fix and also use es file explorer to move photo etc from internal to external SD card.

Just wanted you to be aware. Still kicks **** over the nexus 4. I sent mine back and miss it. It is a super phone except for the external SD card write issue.

Sent from my SGH-I337

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I know you are a fan if the external SD card and it is nice but just be advised that the 4.3 update for the s4 GPe broke third party apps ability to write to the external card.
I have not had to worry about that for years. Modern phones have more than enough internal storage for apps. I would only use SD for media files mostly.

It's not just the SD though...it has a significantly better camera, more internal storage, an upgradable battery, and an AMOLED display. It's also more durable and a little faster.

Just wanted you to be aware. Still kicks **** over the nexus 4. I sent mine back and miss it. It is a super phone except for the external SD card write issue.
Really the only thing I hate about the Samsung phones is those stupid hardware buttons. I picked this over the One GE because the HTC logo for the home button is even worse.

It's not a done deal...I might end up waiting. I like the Nexus a lot, but the GE S4 will give me all the stuff I wanted on the Nexus but could not get from Google.

mixgenio

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
So I just bought the S4 PE and am planning on going the softkey route that you talk about. I have done quite a bit of research on it and think its entirely possible if you root it. My intended steps are:

Step One: Add Softkey buttons
Open "build.prop" (within "/system") using Root Explorer (or equivalent) and add "qemu.hw.mainkeys=0" to the bottom. Once this is done, reboot to enable the Softkey buttons.

Step Two: Disable Hardware buttons
Open "Generic.kl" (within "/system/usr/keylayout" using Root Explorer (or equivalent) and place a "#" at the start of each of the following lines:
1) "key 139 MENU WAKE_DROPPED"
2) "key 158 BACK WAKE_DROPPED"
3) "key 172 HOME"
Once this is done, reboot to disable the Hardware buttons. Take care here because if you add a # to the wrong line, you won't have a way to wake the phone.

Step Three: Disable Hardware button's lights
Install/Run"GES4_ButtonLights.apk"* and toggle your lights on or off. The settings are remembered at boot.
*= Can be found here

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yep. Now that the nexus 4 has gone for sale for $100 off the price I hope that means the nexus 5 is coming.

If it has 32 GB edition I will get that. If 16GB, I will most likely go for another s4 Google Edition and root it and fix it.

Sent from my SGH-I337

mixgenio

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
As an update:
My outlined steps worked perfectly. The softkeys are present (I can even access Google Now by swiping up from the Home Button) and the capacitive buttons are turned off (as well as their lights) My brand new Google Play Edition S4 is now essentially a Nexus with a better camera, ATT LTE connection, bigger screen, faster processor, expandable storage, removable battery, etc. I understand that this set-up isn't for everyone. But for me, it is perfect. Below is a screenshot of my homescreen (showing the softkeys).

View attachment 78596

White Metis

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
well its 2014 now i have a company owned galaxy s3 and menu capacitive button is glitched and keeps thinking its pressed and menu screen pops up 80x per min anyway to turn the key or keys off without root acess?

Albert Lin1

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Dear Mixgenio

It's good to have your answer. I would like to disable hardware home key. so I just did place a "#" at the start of "key 172 HOME" . I power on phone again, but hardware home key is still working. Did I do something wrong?

Best Regards
Albert Lin

mixgenio

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Dear Mixgenio

It's good to have your answer. I would like to disable hardware home key. so I just did place a "#" at the start of "key 172 HOME" . I power on phone again, but hardware home key is still working. Did I do something wrong?

Best Regards
Albert Lin

Hey,
To be honest, I'm not sure what you could be doing wrong. Perhaps you aren't saving the file after making the change? It still works for me.

Ryan000Ryan

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Keeping hardware buttons,

1) "key 139 MENU WAKE_DROPPED"
2) "key 158 BACK WAKE_DROPPED"
3) "key 172 HOME"
Is there a way to change the hardware buttons' functions by changing the text on these lines? My previous phone's square button used to be a Menu Button, and I'd hold the home button for recent apps, this phone's square button is a Recent Apps Button, and holding the home button brings up Google. I'd love to go back to the old way. (The code for the menu button is still available, but it's reconized as a keyboard key)
(Google "5098S" you'll fine my exact phone)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2