Samsung Galaxy S4 - won't switch on at all!

evilrabbit

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
My S4 mini died yesterday... but what I find a little disturbing is that I bought this phone EXACT one year ago. This is making me kinda paranoid :-X
I can't just take it back because I rooted the phone and had CM12 (Lollipop preview) installed which was working fine for about two weeks. So that's where my Samsung life ends at the moment. Switching to my backup-LG G2... leaving me sad because I loved my SGS4mini :'(

Jennyfurlee

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
My galaxy S4 wont turn on either. I relized it turned on but it didn't on the screen. What I mean is when I press and hold the power button, it buzzes, and the sound of T-Mobile goes off and then my ringtone and even my alarm went off, but it never shows it on screen. it turns on as a system and it doesn't turn on, on my phone screen. so I guess this is a wire problem?? please help me I have important information in my phone and I will need it soon. if this happened to u and there was a solution comment on here.

Last edited:

Carolyn Collier

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Take back off. remove battery. blow on gold connectors parts..I know but it works. Replace battery. Replace cover. It should vibrate and show the level of the battery charged. Press on. It should vibrate and come on. I have a rather new Galaxy 4 and it does this from time to time. Hope this helps :):D:):):D:):):cool:;)

Atomant007

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Your solution worked. I took the battery out wiped off the contacts on the battery and phone and now my phone turns on and works normal.
Thank you.

sunshine375

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Cleaning the gold connectors on the battery worked for us too! Thank you so much for sharing! My hubby was about to go bananas without his phone!!

axxo786

May 5, 2015
Visit site
I visited the service center and they said that the problem is with the motherboard of the device and it needs to get replaced...

hockeypug

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Had the same problem, and tried all of these solutions, nothing worked. Finally plugged it in to computer through usb and phone powered right up.

Birtie139

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Okay, I've always had horrible luck with phones but this one takes the cake. I've had this phone for all of three days, and it wont charge or turn on. I plug it in, it says its charging, but when I go to turn it on it shows the logo for a moment and cuts back off. I tried to reboot it and just nothing will make it turn on. What I cant understand is how, when I try to turn it on, it says that it's charging, but it's clearly not.

Sarah W

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
The same thing happened to my S4... We went to go get it checked out, and it turns out the LED under the glass screen had broken. What you have to do is go get your glass screen replaced, it costs like $269 (I almost died), and then you have to turn on your phone, it works now! But, then you have to reset your phone to the factory resets, you will lose all of data, so back it up first, and voila! Your phone works now!

Bontseng

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
My S4 mini just blank on me.

it wont charge or even switch on.

i tried the volume+ and home screen button with the on button but it still doesnt work.

its so depressing

Rosa Alex

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
HI!, so I just had the same problem, and finally thanks to google search :-* I was able to find a solution. I was just getting ready to give up and buy a new phone :(, the problem I had with my phone was, every time I pressed the power button it turns off, and doesn't turned back on, i "smacked" my phone ones or twice and it would turn back on, then after few minutes it shuts off, I tried taking the battery off, pressing the power button etc... I tried everything! nothing worked....so nothing was wrong with my battery or charger after all, just the stupid system to get to the point I tried these recommendation I found from searching google... all you had to do is reboot your system.. this are the steps.. (P.S make sure you backed up all you photos etc...on dropbox or your google account!!!!) and make sure you are around a reliable wifi!

follow steps as followed :) your welcome!

Turn off the device.
Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time: Volume Up key, Home key, Power key.
When the phone vibrates, release the Power key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key.
When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
Press the Volume down key several times key to highlight ‘wipe data / factory reset.’
Press Power button to select.
Press the Volume down key until ‘delete all user data’ is highlighted.
Press Power button to select and start the master reset.
When the master reset is complete, ‘Reboot system now’ is highlighted.
Press the Power key to restart the device.

the link to this helpful suggestion is from

How To Fix Samsung Galaxy S4 That Won't Turn On [Part 1]

hope this helped! I officially hate android -__-
I feel like i have a brand new phone!!!

Djolla

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
My S4 mini just blank on me.

it wont charge or even switch on.

i tried the volume+ and home screen button with the on button but it still doesnt work.

its so depressing

Mine did this yesterday, friend told be about the hard boot, but nothing. with battery without battery, on the other charges, nothing. I had a bad battery already so I thought it is the battery but I think it just went dead when it won't turn on again anyhow

Krishna69

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Considering the issue that your S4 mini doesn't start below are the few workaround
Scenario 1:The phone does power on but it is stuck at Samsung logo-Its a software or firmware issue,try going into advanced boot options(press Home+Power+ Volume up) try clearing the cache from boot menu else reset your phone to factory settings in the same menu,Else put it in download mode(Home+Power+Volume Up) install ODIN on PC arm it with custom image(tar file) and try flashing it.
Scenario 2:The phone doesn't power on but when you connect to the charger the display shows its getting charged: Then it might be with power button,try hard press the power button else try opening your phone and turn on power by shorting the pins.
Scenario 3:Neither the phone starts up nor it shows charging,try cleaning the battery connector pins properly(if possible try another battery too) and try again if this still doesn't work it might be a hardware issue with display or motherboard,open up your phone and check whether proper voltage(battery voltage) is reaching to motherboard power connector pins using an voltmeter,if yes then the display is faulty and if not then its a problem with entire motherboard and its better to say "Goodbye" to your S4 mini rather than spending a lot on a new motherboard(even display alone is expensive to replace with new one).
I have used S4 mini for about 3 years and it stopped working one fine day.Unfortunately mine was scenario 3 and couldn't be fixed and the most likely reason being a power surge during charging or poor quality IC's mounted on the motherboard which have shorter life span.
Thank You
Disclaimer: Above steps are just suggestions please use proper expert assistance and caution while performing them at your own risk.

unique1423

Feb 16, 2017
Visit site
My son's S4 has just stopped working! I have one as well so we swapped batteries, his battery works fine in mine but my fully charged battery doesn't make a difference in his. It doesn't even appear to be charging when plugged in - just looks completely dead. He got his phone virtually the day it was released on the O2 network (mines on Virgin and only a couple of days younger).

Does anyone have any ideas?

TIA