S4 Proximity sensor issue

David Cutler

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Just did the pushed software update for the Galaxy s4. Now the proximity sensor is playing up. ( Once screen switches off during call it wont switch back on after removing from ear...., without pushing home button.) I have tried all the settings.
Anybody else having this issue ? Know how to fix it ? Thanks

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
YES! I had the exact same issue and the good news is the fix is simple. I posted about the same problem here before I found an answer on another forum:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ty-sensors-activates-but-doesnt-turn-off.html

TL;DR version is that the proximity sensor collects dust and you need to shoot the earpiece (which the sensor is connected to) with a can of compressed air. $5 for the air and 30 seconds and it should work good as new.

memtenn

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Just had the same problem. I took my phone to best buy and got a factory reset and still nothing. Come to find out I had a glass screen protector on it that was covering up the sensor. Took it off and what do you know it works. I spent $35 on a glass screen protector I cant even use. I dont exactly know what the glass does to the sensor being transparent and all but my phone did not like it.

qtrxist

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I registered just to say thank you. It worked on mine!!

I did try to activate everything that has something to do with the proximity sensor, air view, etc, also turned off power saver mode. Didn't work.

Good thing we have cans and cans of air here at work. IT WORKED!

Thanks! its annoying when my screen is still off when I want to end the call.

Edward Binion

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
That's nice...you used compressed air to blow dust away from the ear piece. You know that's not where the proximity sensor is rigth? Guess not. The proximity sensor is the second light sensor to the right of the ear piece.

Now that that's out of the way. I have found that if you wipe away any oils/dirt from it..it works. But only briefly. There is something more going on here. Samsung needs to fix this issue.

Last edited:

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
It's all part of the same assembly and it looks like there's no internal partition between the earpiece grill and the sensor. Dust enters via the earpiece and ends up coating the nearby proximity sensor. I'd blow directly on the sensor, but the same grill the dust gets in is the only access point without taking the whole thing apart.

In my case wiping the glass above the sensor didn't help. I tried alcohol, microfiber cloths, etc. If your problem is durt on the surface of the glass more power to you. If your problem is dirt beneath the glass wiping isn't going to help a lot.

Brian Luedtke

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
YES! I had the exact same issue and the good news is the fix is simple. I posted about the same problem here before I found an answer on another forum:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ty-sensors-activates-but-doesnt-turn-off.html

TL;DR version is that the proximity sensor collects dust and you need to shoot the earpiece (which the sensor is connected to) with a can of compressed air. $5 for the air and 30 seconds and it should work good as new.

Well, what do you know, it worked! I didn't believe it, but since it was a simple thing to try I did, and lo and behold the sensor is working perfectly again.

This is the first knock against the design of the S4 for me. Not a big one, but one nonetheless.

Edgekrusher187

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site

Perfect fix.

Malarkey721

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Just registered so I could say thank you for posting/linking to the fix... this issue was driving me bonkers and the compressed air trick worked.

Thank you!

plucks

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
about 2 months ago I actually got AT&T to exchange my device after a hard reset. It worked for a minute, but on my 2nd device, this issue is happening again. There is clearly a problem and i can't believe more people aren't raising hell or having this issue. Tech support said my call was the first they received, so please call your provider and explain this is a known issue. I might try to get this 2nd phone switched out...too many calls ended due to screen being on after pressing option 2 on the keypad.

Xducerguy

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
It's all part of the same assembly and it looks like there's no internal partition between the earpiece grill and the sensor. Dust enters via the earpiece and ends up coating the nearby proximity sensor. I'd blow directly on the sensor, but the same grill the dust gets in is the only access point without taking the whole thing apart.

In my case wiping the glass above the sensor didn't help. I tried alcohol, microfiber cloths, etc. If your problem is durt on the surface of the glass more power to you. If your problem is dirt beneath the glass wiping isn't going to help a lot.

Thank you bearda! Some folks just just are not as smart as they think they are. You on the other hand are a gentleman and a scholar.

purplepirate99

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Did you by any chance have the gadget guard black ice? I'm having issues with my proximity sensor going black and not coming back. Someone has to hang up before I can end the call. I've tried the compressed air on the earpiece and it didn't work for me.:mad:

purplepirate99

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Memtenn -- Did you by any chance have the gadget guard black ice? I'm having issues with my proximity sensor going black and not coming back. Someone has to hang up before I can end the call. I've tried the compressed air on the earpiece and it didn't work for me.:mad:

maball54

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much for this. I thought my phone was defective but this worked like a charm, fixed it right up.

Thanks again.
-Matt

Gary Howe

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I also had this problem and also sorted it by blowing (with a straw) it's annoying that such a high tech phone is subject to such a lo tech problem but at least it seems easily fixable.

premcupid

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I registered just to say that you are AWESOME!
I made many trips to service centre. And im about to go today again. After reading your post. I just BLEW into earpiece of my phone with my mouth and it just worked! !
Samsung galaxy note 2 (GT-N7100)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs