MMS's won't send when wifi connected (GPE s4... ATT S4 works fine)

mjolsen74

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Looking for some help and ideas here..

I have a GPE S4 on the AT&T network.. I also have a spare GS4 (ATT branded).

GPE S4 - running Android 4.3 stock - MMS while connected to wifi will not send. turn off Wifi and they send fine
ATT S4 - running Android 4.2.2 MF3 stock - MMS while connected to wifi send fine.

I have checked and matched the GPE S4 to use the identical APN settings as the ATT S4. I have tried in the stock messaging app. I prefer textra and tried textra on both, setting "Activate Mobile Data when sending/receiving an MMS" is checked on both devices and it doesn't make the GPE get an MMS while connected to wifi.

I have scoured the internet and there are TONS of threads about this very same topic on many carriers... a lot point to APN settings. I have validated that APN is proper and the fact that it works while NOT on Wifi proves this.

The ONLY thing I can think of is 4.3 or stock android doesn't make the MMS app(s) use the mobile data and tries to send it out the wifi connection which will not work.

Anyone with GPE on ATT network able to test this for me?

Thanks,
Mike

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Is mobile data staying toggled on when on the GPE?

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Looking for some help and ideas here..

I have a GPE S4 on the AT&T network.. I also have a spare GS4 (ATT branded).

GPE S4 - running Android 4.3 stock - MMS while connected to wifi will not send. turn off Wifi and they send fine
ATT S4 - running Android 4.2.2 MF3 stock - MMS while connected to wifi send fine.

I have checked and matched the GPE S4 to use the identical APN settings as the ATT S4. I have tried in the stock messaging app. I prefer textra and tried textra on both, setting "Activate Mobile Data when sending/receiving an MMS" is checked on both devices and it doesn't make the GPE get an MMS while connected to wifi.

I have scoured the internet and there are TONS of threads about this very same topic on many carriers... a lot point to APN settings. I have validated that APN is proper and the fact that it works while NOT on Wifi proves this.

The ONLY thing I can think of is 4.3 or stock android doesn't make the MMS app(s) use the mobile data and tries to send it out the wifi connection which will not work.

Anyone with GPE on ATT network able to test this for me?

Thanks,
Mike

I have the same two phones. I just tried to send a MMS (picture) to my work phone while on WiFi and it works fine.

Does this happen on all WiFi? At home only? It think it is more likely the WiFi. Does the WiFi act the same way for both devices? You can make calls while on WiFi correct?

Sent from my Nexus 7

anon(20944)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I have the exact same problem so you're not alone.

Planoman are you in an area with LTE when you successfully sent an MMS on WiFi? i.e. if you shut off WiFi on your GPe does it connect to the LTE network?

mjolsen74

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
ATT? If so, can you share your APN settings? I don't believe this to be the cause.. because the APN settings are identical on both phones.

Not sure how anything on my wifi could be causing this.... I did try an entirely different wifi router too just for the sake of trying..

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have the exact same problem so you're not alone.

Planoman are you in an area with LTE when you successfully sent an MMS on WiFi? i.e. if you shut off WiFi on your GPe does it connect to the LTE network?

Yes strong LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 7

mjolsen74

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
so.. here is the STRANGE thing.. at work on wifi, they send fine.. One thing different I do have a MicroCell at home... Now I did try turning it off last night and use the poor signal.. but same experience. May have to leave the microcell off for an extended period so the phone doesn't recognize it.

such a strange issue..

anon(20944)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. It won't work for me at home or on work wifi.

Have you tried experimenting to see if it matters whether or not you are connected to a 5 or 2.4ghz network?

mjolsen74

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
yes, I have tried both 2.4 and 5ghz wifi at home.

next step this week is an entirely different router. I currently have an Asus RT-N66U flashed with DD-WRT... I have used DD-WRT for years with great luck... so I will try a different router without it just to rule it out.

I ruled the MicroCell out tonight.. I turned it off a few hours ago, left phone off for a bit and connected to the local cell tower. same issue.

The freaking crazy part is the AT&T S4 with TouchWiz works just fine.

I swear it seems like the OS (4.3) isn't switching to mobile data like it should... I have Textra which has an additional check box to enable it too and that doesn't work. and yes.. I did try the stock messaging app too.. same results

anon(20944)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
yes, I have tried both 2.4 and 5ghz wifi at home.

next step this week is an entirely different router. I currently have an Asus RT-N66U flashed with DD-WRT... I have used DD-WRT for years with great luck... so I will try a different router without it just to rule it out.

I ruled the MicroCell out tonight.. I turned it off a few hours ago, left phone off for a bit and connected to the local cell tower. same issue.

The freaking crazy part is the AT&T S4 with TouchWiz works just fine.

I swear it seems like the OS (4.3) isn't switching to mobile data like it should... I have Textra which has an additional check box to enable it too and that doesn't work. and yes.. I did try the stock messaging app too.. same results

I actually thought the problem was with LTE specifically. Here's why: when I first got the GS4 GPe I was using it on Net10 which was HSPA+ only. On Net10 I could send receive MMS just fine on wifi.

I then got a new SIM on ATT's LTE network and that's when I started to have the problem. You might want to try and replicate by setting your data connection to 2G only for a bit to see if that will allow you to send while on Wifi.

The fact that it worked for you on work wifi and works for Planoman is throwing me off though. I guess there must be some router setting it's having a problem with.

Can you and Plano tell me what options are you using in the advanced section of the wifi settings in Android?

I have keep wifi on during sleep: always
scanning always available: off
Avoid poor connections: on
Wi-fi frequency band: auto
wifi optimization: on

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Very odd issue indeed. No sure what would be preventing the GPE from sending while on wifi.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

mjolsen74

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
So, It seems it is something with DD-WRT open source router software... not sure what is going on here but when I connect to my wifi router that is DD-WRT, it does this (only on Android 4.3). I have tried the following routers that have dd-wrt installed (Linksys E4200, Asus RTN-12, Asus RT-N66U). So, it is common across DD-WRT.

Asus RT-N12 with stock asus firmware everything works fine.....

Strange huh?

anon(20944)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
So, It seems it is something with DD-WRT open source router software... not sure what is going on here but when I connect to my wifi router that is DD-WRT, it does this (only on Android 4.3). I have tried the following routers that have dd-wrt installed (Linksys E4200, Asus RTN-12, Asus RT-N66U). So, it is common across DD-WRT.

Asus RT-N12 with stock asus firmware everything works fine.....

Strange huh?

Well I'm having the same issue with a stock netgear router... and the router at work is most certainly stock as well. I think it's deeper than DD-WRT.

mjolsen74

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
So.. I continue to have this problem... replaced my wifi router with a new ASUS with stock firmware.

Not sure where to go next but a factory reset.. and see if it fixes the problem.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I am using a belkin AC router and have always used belkin and had no issues.

I just tried it again using my S4 GPe over wifi and it works fine. I would reset to see if that works.

jolt_man

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I had been having the same issue with my wife's Google Edition Galaxy S4 behind a pfSense 2.0.3 and 2.1 firewall. Here is my thread (from xda) on how I fixed it:

SOLVED!

I have finally solved the issue. I'm so happy it's fixed. For those that happen upon this thread, here's what I did:

Since I had nothing blocked in the firewall rules, and I had Outbound Manual NAT enabled, that wasn't the issue. I was in the #pfsense channel, and someone happened to come in complaining about a ping not resolving. Specifically, he was trying to ping:

Code:
ping some_DNS_name_on_internet

It was supposed to resolve to a PRIVATE IP address, in his case, 10.0.0.1. I could get it to resolve from my work connection (not behind pfSense). So I began pinging the MMSC and MMS addresses in the APNs I listed earlier. All of them resolved and/or responded, except one:

Code:
proxy.mobile.att.net

Behind the pfSense 2.1 firewall, it wouldn't resolve. From anywhere else (from the phone disconnected from WiFi, from my office network) that address would resolve:

Code:
$ ping proxy.mobile.att.net
PING proxy.mobile.att.net (172.26.39.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
^C
--- proxy.mobile.att.net ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 1007ms

But look at the address it was resolving to! I thought that since I had disabled blocking RFC1918 on my WAN port and LAN port, the address would have resolved. It didn't. The user in #pfsense said that it's not a bug, but a feature of dnsmasq and that pfSense was "protecting us from ourselves". Very strange I thought. But what's even stranger, was the fact that AT&T was deliberately resolving a DNS name to an RFC 1918 address on the PUBLIC internet. My only guess is that the phone will try the WiFi first, find that this address resolves to 172.26.39.1 address, then use it's LTE radio to connect to the address since it's all on AT&T's network anyway. Probably a static route on the LTE radio? No idea.

Since it was clear that pfSense wasn't resolving this address correctly, I decided to put a "Host Over Ride" in the Services: DNS Forwarder. I added this:

Code:
proxy 	 mobile.att.net 	 172.26.39.1 	 AT&T MMS Proxy

Once I did that, everything worked as expected. She can send and receive MMS. It was amazing. I've been struggling with this for a week, and now it's working. That also means I can go buy _me_ the same phone :)

I really hope that my struggles can help someone in the future.

anon(20944)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Nice sleuthing.

This seems to be the crux of my issue as well. proxy.mobile.att.net resolves on my wifi network but all the requests time out. I'm not using pfsense or any firewall really so I'm not sure how to go about correcting this in my Netgear WNDR3700 router. I'll keep looking though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary