Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Default 4.3 V2?

So my S4 PE alerted me to another 4.3 system update that was available. My phone was rooted when it alerted me so I had remove root prior to installing the update. Once I removed root, I clicked the update but received an error during the install. Fortunately I didn't get stuck in a bootloop but I am concerned now. If there was an error during the install then I should still be on the first 4.3 build they released but the update isn't available to me anymore. Also, I don't understand why I got an error during the install in the first place.

Has anyone else seen the second 4.3 system update? If so, was it smooth sailing for you? What Build number are you now on and were you rooted?

Default Re: 4.3 V2?

Probably the small security update for 4.3 that the Nexus got a few weeks ago.
    Galaxy S6 (64GB), Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    Probably the small security update for 4.3 that the Nexus got a few weeks ago.
    Did you see the update yet?

Quote Originally Posted by mixgenio View Post
    Did you see the update yet?
    Not yet, but saw where the HTC one GPe is receiving a small update.

Posted from my bada$$ GT-I9505G
    Galaxy S6 (64GB), Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2

I haven't seen the update yet and am extremely curious about it. I just checked for updates and the "Your system is up to date" message came up. Waiting...

***Update: As planoman noted, this is the same security update that was rolled out to Nexus devices a couple of weeks ago.

HTC One Google Play edition receiving Nexus JWR66Y security update - Android Community
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kgbkny View Post
    I haven't seen the update yet and am extremely curious about it. I just checked for updates and the "Your system is up to date" message came up. Waiting...

***Update: As planoman noted, this is the same security update that was rolled out to Nexus devices a couple of weeks ago.

HTC One Google Play edition receiving Nexus JWR66Y security update - Android Community
    Yeah. It showed back up as available to me but I am hesitant to install it. The last time I tried I received an error.

Installed the update. Indeed it is build JWR66Y. Haven't noticed anything different at all (wasn't expecting to).

So does this return the ability to write to the SD card as well..? Just curious.. As I'm very weary of updates from Google now. Thanks
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maconsultant View Post
    So does this return the ability to write to the SD card as well..? Just curious.. As I'm very weary of updates from Google now. Thanks
    Sadly no...
    https://plus.google.com/115589706410...ts/9S7va5tSDin

So it was done intentionally... Thanks for the word. Shame Google is conducting business in that matter.. Now I hear reports of the LTE nexus 7 having tethering out of the box but the first update the device gets removes the ability to tether. Shady business.. Shady business.

Sent from another Galaxy..
    S4 GT-I9505G Google Edition...

Just did the Google Service Framework trick to force the update. Had to do it 3 times before the update appeared. At 16.6 MB, it's significantly bigger than HTC One's 1.8 MB update. Other than the version number, there's no noticeable difference.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,378 Global Posts

I also got the update and don't notice anything different.

I also received the update yesterday. It looks like the baseband and kernel were updated as well.
    Attachment 81419
    BB 8320>G1>BB 8900>BB 9700>G2>Nexus S>Droid Charge>Droid Bionic>Droid RAZR>Galaxy Nexus>GPE Galaxy S4>Nexus 6

who can help me to update my Galaxy S4 from android 4.2.2 to android 4.3???????

This is the Google edition S4 not the regular one.

Posted from my bada$$ GT-I9505G

I'm having the same error when updating. Tried unrooting, factory reset but still getting error. What can I do?

I got the update tonight. It says it will only download via Wifi until 9/17. It downloaded and installed quickly. No issues with it so far. No obvious changes either.

I just received the update, my phone is not rooted, however I have the teamwin bootloader. when I clicked update it rebooted my phjone and just sits at the teamwin logo, nothing ever comes up, if I turn it off and on just goes back to system restore and the teamwin splashscreen, sort feel like i f'd up my phone. Any help please.

**EDIT**
    ok I was imptaient, let it sit at the splashscreen for around 15 minutes and the bootloader screen finally appeared, I was able to click reboot and everything came back up? weird

Quote Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
    I got the update tonight. It says it will only download via Wifi until 9/17. It downloaded and installed quickly. No issues with it so far. No obvious changes either.
    +1 tonight.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shalin Ahuja1 View Post
    I'm having the same error when updating. Tried unrooting, factory reset but still getting error. What can I do?
    I am by no means an Android Expert but perhaps you modified a system file while you had root? In my case, I has modified the build.prop file (to enable softkey buttons).
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xceptiona1 View Post
    I just received the update, my phone is not rooted, however I have the teamwin bootloader. when I clicked update it rebooted my phjone and just sits at the teamwin logo, nothing ever comes up, if I turn it off and on just goes back to system restore and the teamwin splashscreen, sort feel like i f'd up my phone. Any help please.

**EDIT**
    ok I was imptaient, let it sit at the splashscreen for around 15 minutes and the bootloader screen finally appeared, I was able to click reboot and everything came back up? weird
    From everything I have read, you can't accept an update unless you have the stock bootloader, are not rooted, and have not modified any system files. Perhaps the update didn't like the teamwin bootloader.

Quote Originally Posted by mixgenio View Post
    From everything I have read, you can't accept an update unless you have the stock bootloader, are not rooted, and have not modified any system files. Perhaps the update didn't like the teamwin bootloader.
    I have TWRP and it didn't work either.

There seems to be some confusion. First, you must be on stock recovery. Twrp or cwm recovery will NOT work for an ota update. Second you can't modify any system files that the update asserts on or the update will fail the assertion checks. And finally, I hear people say you can't be rooted all the time but this is incorrect. The update won't care at all if you're rooted. You will lose root because the permissions on the su binary change after the update installs, but having su will not cause an update to fail. It's what people do with root that causes problems, and just removing root won't solve that problem. There are two ways to go about it if you have modified your system. You have to return everything back to stock (system and recovery partitions) manually or you can download an mh5 odin image and just flash that to do the upgrade. I posted one on xda. I can post the link a bit later if people need it. I also have an odin flashable recovery image so people on custom recovery can return to stock recovery to take the ota. If this will help people I'll toss a link up here in a bit.

Carved in blood by a wakizashi...
    Samsung S4 Google Play Edition
    Nexus 6 - soon?
    Thanked by 2:

Samsung S4 Google Play Edition
    Nexus 6 - soon?
    Thanked by:

Can you please explain me how to get my phone back to normal with over the air updates working. I rooted by phone and modified platform.xml and now it wont update. I have not done anything else on the phone. Can i just flash the Stock Rom and be back to normal?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast