New to Android.

star_lover28

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I have finally given up on Apple. I will admit that Apple products are running all over my house and my kids are no help to me with my new Galaxy. Apple products are designed for dummies. And I am thinking I may not be smart enough for the android. I am finding most features are the same but the operating systems are more complicated for my new toy. I want to utilize all that I can out of this phone. The biggest issue I am facing is storage. I have bought a 32 gb memory card. How do I make sure that content goes on the card instead of internal memory? Also how can I delete factory installed apps that will NEVER be of use to me. I was told by Telus representitives that the apps can be deleted AND that the camera can be upgraded after purchase. Is this true as well? I bought this particular phone because when I researched the phone that will be most beneficial to me, this one had the best camera on the market. It doesn't. The camera on my Iphone 4s is superior. I have a terminally ill child and being able to capture photos of him is VERY important. I apologize if I am not using this forum in an appropriate manner, however google searches are not helping answer my most basic questions. And I have a ton of more technical ones that need answering as well but I need to start with these ones and am hoping that I will get more familiar with the system. Thanks.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have finally given up on Apple. I will admit that Apple products are running all over my house and my kids are no help to me with my new Galaxy. Apple products are designed for dummies. And I am thinking I may not be smart enough for the android. I am finding most features are the same but the operating systems are more complicated for my new toy. I want to utilize all that I can out of this phone. The biggest issue I am facing is storage. I have bought a 32 gb memory card. How do I make sure that content goes on the card instead of internal memory? Also how can I delete factory installed apps that will NEVER be of use to me. I was told by Telus representitives that the apps can be deleted AND that the camera can be upgraded after purchase. Is this true as well? I bought this particular phone because when I researched the phone that will be most beneficial to me, this one had the best camera on the market. It doesn't. The camera on my Iphone 4s is superior. I have a terminally ill child and being able to capture photos of him is VERY important. I apologize if I am not using this forum in an appropriate manner, however google searches are not helping answer my most basic questions. And I have a ton of more technical ones that need answering as well but I need to start with these ones and am hoping that I will get more familiar with the system. Thanks.

Welcome to the forums and Android. If I miss a question just re ask.
Preloaded apps can't be deleted but disabled. Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-tos/325138-guide-how-disable-apps.html

From a Sprint Moto X using the AC Forums app.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry...pressed submit too soon. Apps to your SD card is hit and miss. The OS does not support SD cards, so being able to transfer data will be inconsistent.

From a Sprint Moto X using the AC Forums app.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
There are many more customization options in Android. Therefore, the phone probably won't work exactly how you want out of the box. Just requires some tinkering and you can customize home screens, widgets, icons, etc. to your liking.

You can use an app like clean master to move some apps to the sd card. It will also identify and remove junk files.

Factory installed apps can be deleted if you root the device. Otherwise, you'll have to just disable them from within settings or hide them using Nova Launcher.

The GS4 has a very good camera, but the camera app is not the best. Almost too many features. And the iPhone 4s might have better auto settings than the S4. Camera JB+ has a simple user interface with a few features and produces nice results. I would suggest getting the camera awesome app if you want a nice user interface and more features than basic camera apps. HDR can also make a big difference on how pics look.

star_lover28

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Okay. Thanks for the responses. I have heard about rooting and will research it. For now I will follow the link and disable them. One more question which I am sure is silly, do I really need an anti virus?
I never had reason to use one on our iphones, ipads or the ridiculous mac.

anon(8163701)

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
same question if i also need antivirus? im also new android user and an apple user since 3gs... i dont have AV on our macbooks... i didnt install AV on my note 3 since i know where can i get virus and avoid them such as internet websites and attachments that are unknown and try to access my phone...

Question 2: About Backup. i have samsung account and google account. Is it like apple id? Where it stores application data? Like save game files so if ever i change to another android phone i will get my save files?

Question 3: i use waze app while driving? Is it ok to charge for a long time like 3-5 hours straight because gps app drain battery fast. Does this affect battery life on my note 3?

Sorry for my bad english...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello to you both! Antivirus can't hurt. Some people like Kaspersky the best or AVG or Avast or Lookout. They're all good. I use Lookout.

For data backup, I'm pretty sure you can do that but I haven't so I can't explain how to do it. And I forgot the last question..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it hurts the battery to charge it for extra time unless the device seems to be getting too hot. I'm not 100% sure. But I think as long as the battery isn't getting too hot it's OK.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

phoneaddict78

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Once your battery is fully charged it will quit charging. So it won't hurt it at all to keep it plugged into the charger.
same question if i also need antivirus? im also new android user and an apple user since 3gs... i dont have AV on our macbooks... i didnt install AV on my note 3 since i know where can i get virus and avoid them such as internet websites and attachments that are unknown and try to access my phone...

Question 2: About Backup. i have samsung account and google account. Is it like apple id? Where it stores application data? Like save game files so if ever i change to another android phone i will get my save files?

Question 3: i use waze app while driving? Is it ok to charge for a long time like 3-5 hours straight because gps app drain battery fast. Does this affect battery life on my note 3?

Sorry for my bad english...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why you didn't like the camera, but I don't think the 4S camera is better...I've used both and the 4S gets blown out of the water

Posted via Android Central App