1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sudden new unwanted Notification tones in default folder

Good Morning,

I am new to android and to the forums so I hope someone can help with a question I have. Also I have checked through all the forums, googled the problem and still no luck.

Recently I had downloaded a number of 'ringtone/sms' tone apps to be able to use as message tones for contacts and change the default notifications etc. I picked out a few I liked and linked them to my contacts and all was good.

Suddenly when I went into my default notification folder (Under setting > sound > default notification sound) I have a very large number of songs/sounds/tones that I do not have in my phone nor want in my phone. I assume that one of the apps has created/saved them in there but I can not find how to delete them. They are annoying pointless and will never get used. I deleted all the apps that I downloaded, I restarted my phone, have cleared caches and plugged my phone into computer to find any left over files.

Its strange as I can not find these sounds in my file explorer under notifications and I do not have an SD card. I do not have the option to delete via the phone directly and as I cant find them on my computer, it really has left me with no-where to go.

Can someone please help with how I can get rid of them permanently.

Thanks in advance,

Shae.

Global Posts
    13,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Sudden new unwanted Notification tones in default folder

Quote Originally Posted by Shae Ball View Post
    Good Morning,

I am new to android and to the forums so I hope someone can help with a question I have. Also I have checked through all the forums, googled the problem and still no luck.

Recently I had downloaded a number of 'ringtone/sms' tone apps to be able to use as message tones for contacts and change the default notifications etc. I picked out a few I liked and linked them to my contacts and all was good.

Suddenly when I went into my default notification folder (Under setting > sound > default notification sound) I have a very large number of songs/sounds/tones that I do not have in my phone nor want in my phone. I assume that one of the apps has created/saved them in there but I can not find how to delete them. They are annoying pointless and will never get used. I deleted all the apps that I downloaded, I restarted my phone, have cleared caches and plugged my phone into computer to find any left over files.

Its strange as I can not find these sounds in my file explorer under notifications and I do not have an SD card. I do not have the option to delete via the phone directly and as I cant find them on my computer, it really has left me with no-where to go.

Can someone please help with how I can get rid of them permanently.

Thanks in advance,

Shae.
    Welcome to the forums.
    Did your phone get a recent update? I would guess those tones may be added on to the OS, in which it will be difficult to remove them.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hi Golfdriver,
    Unfortunately this isn't the case either as this is the most recent update, which I have had for the past 3weeks (since purchasing my phone) and they were never there until yesterday. Also there are new songs on there (some of which I don't own and some that I do) so I wouldn't imagine an update would have new modern songs as notification tones.
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks,
    Shae.

Global Posts
    13,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Hi Golfdriver,
    Unfortunately this isn't the case either as this is the most recent update, which I have had for the past 3weeks (since purchasing my phone) and they were never there until yesterday. Also there are new songs on there (some of which I don't own and some that I do) so I wouldn't imagine an update would have new modern songs as notification tones.
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks,
    Shae.
    Have you tried a factory reset? I tried looking to see if you said that.
    It may have been an app that put that stuff there.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

No I haven't yet tried that. Being new to Android I wasn't sure what this would erase. A bit worried about a factory reset and deleting all my pics/music/apps etc and needing to start all over again. Can you advise more about the factory reset (I understand if you're unable to - I can go through and look through the forum to see what I can find)
    Thanks again.

Global Posts
    13,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

No I haven't yet tried that. Being new to Android I wasn't sure what this would erase. A bit worried about a factory reset and deleting all my pics/music/apps etc and needing to start all over again. Can you advise more about the factory reset (I understand if you're unable to - I can go through and look through the forum to see what I can find)
    Thanks again.
    It shouldn't wipe anything like that. I would back it up to your PC just in case. Just plug in the device with the charging cord and drag and drop files if using Windows.
    Then do the reset.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

A bit worried about a factory reset and deleting al my pics/music/apps etc and needing to start all over again.