Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mobilecrackers
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default busted phone or fixable...?

Hello guys, I just got my UNLOCKED galaxy s4 a few days ago. Immediately after unboxing it and connecting to wifi it told me there was an update so I updated it (never again installing updates that aren't required to actually run the device). Anyways I'm having a terrible experience with the phone, and was wondering if there is any way to solve this without having to return the phone as I am going in vacation soon.
    Problems:
    Extremely short battery life - 3-4 charges per day
    LONG time to charge - about 6 hours to fully charge
    Keeps thinking phone is plugged in - if I plug out the charger the phone stays as being plugged in. Only way to fix this is to turn off phone and take out the battery and restart it, then its ok but battery life still super short.
    Terrible signal - both wifi and my network (simple mobile, phone is unlocked) are extremely low. WIth my old ****ty phone I always had 5 bars in my dorm now I have like 3 max and it sometimes disconnects (in placements like basements I dont get signals at all). Wifi is also constantly disconnecting

I'm almost sure it's a flawed update. Everything else works perfectly, phone is super sweet blah blah... but at this state it's unusable in the long run. I restored the phone to factory settings and nothing... any tips?
    Returning the phone is last last laaaast resort
    Thanks

Global Posts
    20,686 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: busted phone or fixable...?

Quote Originally Posted by samsunghelp View Post
    Hello guys, I just got my UNLOCKED galaxy s4 a few days ago. Immediately after unboxing it and connecting to wifi it told me there was an update so I updated it (never again installing updates that aren't required to actually run the device). Anyways I'm having a terrible experience with the phone, and was wondering if there is any way to solve this without having to return the phone as I am going in vacation soon.
    Problems:
    Extremely short battery life - 3-4 charges per day
    LONG time to charge - about 6 hours to fully charge
    Keeps thinking phone is plugged in - if I plug out the charger the phone stays as being plugged in. Only way to fix this is to turn off phone and take out the battery and restart it, then its ok but battery life still super short.
    Terrible signal - both wifi and my network (simple mobile, phone is unlocked) are extremely low. WIth my old ****ty phone I always had 5 bars in my dorm now I have like 3 max and it sometimes disconnects (in placements like basements I dont get signals at all). Wifi is also constantly disconnecting

I'm almost sure it's a flawed update. Everything else works perfectly, phone is super sweet blah blah... but at this state it's unusable in the long run. I restored the phone to factory settings and nothing... any tips?
    Returning the phone is last last laaaast resort
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forums.
    I would suggest rebooting into recovery and clearing the system cache. See if that helps. Here is how: [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.
    Follow instructions for the S3.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

hey. I did that, didn't work :/

Just flash you phone back to stock with odin.

Posted via Android Central App
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

How do I do that? Will it void warranty?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ab304945 View Post
    Just flash you phone back to stock with odin.

Posted via Android Central App
    How do I do that? Will it void warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by mobilecrackers View Post

Press THANK YOU and LIKE button if you gets the answer
    Flashing official rom with odin Will not void the warranty. But do not downgrade

Dont' Forget to press Thank you button and like button when you get an answer
    samsunghelp likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Flashing official rom with odin Will not void the warranty. But do not downgrade

okay. Can I get some links, sorry I looked for s4 i9500 roms and I found the google version 4.2.2 and whatever, but that's what I have now what is the original official rom?.. apparently I have to root the device (no clue) also I heard this won't let me download/update apps? Can I go to the official version once they fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by samsunghelp View Post
    okay. Can I get some links, sorry I looked for s4 i9500 roms and I found the google version 4.2.2 and whatever, but that's what I have now what is the original official rom?.. apparently I have to root the device (no clue) also I heard this won't let me download/update apps? Can I go to the official version once they fix it?
    you will not get ota update when you root your phone . also reflashing will remove root from your phone. remember do not downgrade your phone while flashing this will damage efs folder

Dont' Forget to press Thank you button and like button when you get an answer

you will not get ota update when you root your phone . also reflashing will remove root from your phone. remember do not downgrade your phone while flashing this will damage efs folder