Can't move icons on S4 with tap-and-hold

Billtco

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a S4 with 4.4.2 and I just recently had my screen changed because the glass broke. At first I could tap-and-hold to move icons or trash them, but it became intermittent and now tap-and-hold will just open the app. Did the guy replacing the screen mess up or is it something else. I have restarted the phone and it didn't help

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Which launcher are you using?

I have a S4 with 4.4.2 and I just recently had my screen changed because the glass broke. At first I could tap-and-hold to move icons or trash them, but it became intermittent and now tap-and-hold will just open the app. Did the guy replacing the screen mess up or is it something else. I have restarted the phone and it didn't help

agnesblout

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem with 3 different icons. Sometimes I could move them once and after that, they would not respond to press and hold so I couldn't move them - even though the apps would run if I tapped them. Very frustrating! I solved the problem by downloading Wondershare Mobilego for my pc and for my android. After running Mobilego on both the pc and Android and connecting the two with the usb cord, I eventually got Mobilego to recognize my Galaxy S4 (which is another story), then I went to the menu item "Super Toolkit" in Mobilego on my pc, then chose "android mirror". This causes the android screen to open on the pc. I was then able to use my laptop mouse pad to select the unmovable icon and successfully move it. After moving it using the pc, I am now able to select and move it using the Android - for now.

Update: Discovered that when an icon is in any position in the 2nd column from the right on any home screen, it can't be moved or run. Totally dead in the water. It's like it turns into a picture of an icon. If I tap/hold an icon from one of the other columns, I can move it into the second column and even use it to bump a 2nd column icon temporarily out of the 2nd column but then the bumped icon snaps back into the 2nd column. If I put a new icon in the 2nd column, it's dead. I used Mobilgo/android mirror to remove all icons from all 2nd columns with my laptop and obviously won't be using any of the 2nd columns ever again.

Is it just me or is the Galaxy S4 just about the buggiest device ever? I just switched from a 5 1/2 year old iPhone to a new S4 about a week ago and I can't believe the ongoing issues. The latest unresolved issue is that the keyboard will input letters I didn't type. Disabled all swype & predictive text but it still types letters I don't want and it inserts 2 spaces whenever I tap the spacebar. That and the not-being-able-to-move icon thing are just two of many issues. At first I thought my phone was a lemon but after researching each problem online as it crops up, I discovered many people have had similar problems for years. I don't care for having to use itunes with the iphone or having to jailbreak an iphone that I own that's out of warranty in order to have control over it, but at least I never had to deal with ongoing daily bugs. Or perhaps there's some Android device out there that does not have these kinds of problems.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user