Can S4 GPE be flashed onto an unlocked AT&T S4?

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Can I install GS4 GPE ROM onto an unlocked AT&T GS4?

I kind of have a weak understanding of the definition of "unlocked" and whether or not there is a difference between "carrier unlocked" versus "bootloader unlocked." But if I bought an unlocked S4 off of eBay or Swappa, that probably would mean just "carrier unlocked." Would I be able to flash custom ROMs like GPE onto that, or would I need it "bootloader unlocked." Anyway, any insight or explanation would be appreciated. Thanks.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Be careful with the wording unlocked when buying. I'd ask the seller exactly what it means.

bootloader unlocked means you, in theory, should be able to install any ROM that was designed for your device, including the GPE roms.

carrier unlocked means you can take the phone to any carrier for service. Typically GSM carriers SIM lock the device to their network.. so that AT&T phones will only operate on AT&T's network. With a SIM unlock, you can pop in a T-Mobile SIM and it'd work(assuming it has the cellular bands)

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I sort of figured it was the way you described it but I wasn't sure. Very nice of you to explain to me. Thanks.