Traveling in Mexico want to use maps

martini14810

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I have a S4 from verizon and want to use Google maps in Mexico city, how do I do this? do I need to purchase tom tom Mexico to get turn by turn directions? I will be purchasing minutes from verizon to talk while in Mexico, will tis do or do I need a data package?
Thank you

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, with Google Maps you can download the map of Mexico City for free, but this only downloads the streets and map to your phone. If you want to have search and turn-by-turn navigation, you'd need data.

There are 3rd party apps that let you download more detailed maps and some have 'offline' turn-by-turn navigation, but those usually are paid apps. Not sure if the new HERE maps have a similar, free alternative though.

If you want to use Google, just zoom around the area that you'll be in (Mexico City in this case), hit the search button and scroll down to the bottom to where it says SAVE MAP TO USE OFFLINE. Now, this will save the map and streets to your phone, so you won't need data (just GPS) to see your position in a map, but you won't be able to get directions or search for a specific address unless you do have data (be it mobile data or WiFi, and the latter is very largely available for free around commercial areas of Mexico City).

When I was traveling once before I had free international data with T-Mobile, what I did was download the offline map to my phone, then plan my day either early in the morning or very late at night, let Google give me the directions using the hotel WiFi and either print them out or just save them to your phone and follow them while using your map offline. Sure, it won't alert you of your next turn, but at least you know where you are and you have a list of steps and streets to follow.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Maps allows you to download the map for a specific area. (I don't know if you can download all of Mexico city.) I'd find a wifi connection to use to do the download, since it's quite a bit of data.

(Even if you scroll the screen to Mecixo City now, when you're not there, you should be able to download what you see on the screen.)

I just looked in https://www.google.com/maps/ Mexico City itself seems pretty small, so you should be able to download the entire map, but if you want to cover from Coacalco to Cuernavaca and Toluca to Texmelucan, you might have a problem.

Edit: BE-ON-ROAD is free, uses Open Maps and it doesn't look as if you need a data connection for turn-by-turn directions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38