Update a former Verizon phone

DaleGolds

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
We have Samsung Galaxy S4 phones from Verizon and a little over a year ago we switched carriers to Consumer Cellular. We did all of the changes to get the phone to work with Consumer Cellular and that all works fine. However, we are not getting updates since that was handled thru Verizon. If you go to settings and try to update the phone it just says that update is not available at this time. I also downloaded the Smart Switch program from Samsung which backs up your phone and checks and installs the newest updates. When I connect my phone it says that there is a newer update available but when you click to install the update it does nothing, the phone will not update.

Is there a way I can get all of the Verizon stuff off my phone so it functions as a basic Samsung phone? Or, is there a way I can bypass the Verizon update and manually update the phone without having to have a degree in phone electronics? I have read some articles where they say the phone can be flashed or reset to get rid of all of the downloaded stuff which will erase the Verizon stuff and allow all the options, like update, to work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dale