Apps disappearing from phone. Not from Google Play Store account.

intlzncster2

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've searched around for this problem here and elsewhere, but I can't seem to find the same issue, given the same set of operating conditions. I'm kind of at my wit's end. I'll describe my problem and the solutions I have already undertaken in as much detail as possible.

In short, I've downloaded apps from the Google Play store and installed them. I believe (but am not certain) that most of the apps showed up in the Apps drawer upon install. Several of them no longer appear there or anywhere else on the phone eg Androidlost (ironic), Onavo, etc . However, they do appear as downloaded and installed in the Google Play store. The store will not let me reinstall or uninstall the apps. Neither will the phone, as no reference to the apps is available.

Phone Specs:
Samsung Galaxy S4 mini - GT-i9195
Android Version 4.2.2
Baseband Version i9195XXUAMF5
kernel version 3.4.0-870901
se.infra@SEP-132 #1 JUNE 13TH
BUILD NUMBER - JDQ39.i9195xxuamf5​

Notes:
Carrier: T-mobile prepaid monthly ($30 unlimited data/txt; 100min call)
No microSD card is in device
Running Nova Launcher Prime
Running latest Samsung software -> updated manually

Here is a list of the 'remedies' I have attempted to administer:

Restarted the phone multiple times in the process of trying the below actions

While running Nova Launcher Prime:
  • Checked I was running latest version (updated)
  • Restarted Nova Launcher - missing apps did not appear
  • Looked for apps and widgets in App Drawer -> missing apps did not appear
  • In Manage Apps Section downloaded/running/all -> missing apps did not appear
  • reset App Preferences -> nothing happened
  • Uninstall apps setting -> missing apps did not appear
  • New Apps setting in launcher prime settings -> played around -> nothing happened
  • Went to 'Hide Apps' settings -> unchecked a few Samsung stock apps
  • Went to 'Play Store' settings -> messed around there with no results.
  • Ran Easy Cache Cleaner app -> did not appear in list -> cleared cache anyway -> went to app drawer -> missing apps did not appear
  • Press/hold home button. -> selected pie graphic:
    [*]selected Storage tab -> 3gb left
    [*]selected RAM tab -> cleared it
    [*]selected Downloads tab to try and uninstall apps from there -> missing apps did not appear
    [*]selected Active Apps tab -> cleared all

Switched to Touchwiz format (just once):
  • Looked for apps in drawer -> missing apps did not appear
  • Selected Manage Apps downloaded/running/all -> missing apps did not appear
  • Uninstall Apps -> missing apps did not appear
  • Recent Apps button -> removed all recent apps from list -> restarted
  • Used native search feature to search phone for respective apps -> nor reference to missing apps anywhere

Went to Google Play Store:
  • Looked in My Apps section -> all apps, including missing apps, appear as installed (with green check mark). Cannot seem to uninstall from the play store though -> I click on the app, the green box says 'installed'. There are no trash icons or uninstall buttons. Click on green 'installed' button -> brings up permissions, a cancel button, and a grayed out 'install' button that is unclickable.
  • Looked in 'All Orders' section in my account -> all apps appear as ordered, including missing apps. Cannot uninstall from this section either
  • Looked in Wishlist section -> same sort of deal as 'My Apps' search above
  • Cannot reinstall or uninstall apps in any fashion it seems?
  • Searched for a find-missing-apps or a search-for-apps in the Play Store, but didn't come up with much.

What should I do now?
  • Wipe my phone? Anyway to keep Nova Prime settings while doing this? Or does this defeat the purpose of the wipe?
  • Reinstall Touchwiz only? Nova Prime (I assume I won't have to pay again)? Or put on CyanogenMod?
  • Try to find alternative apps to the missing ones (kinda lame)?
  • Go to 'My Accounts' section on phone and hit either:
    ->Samsung account: backup/restore
    ->Backup/reset
  • Remove all certificates? Not really sure what that does.
  • Anyway to uninstall Android apps directly from Google Play store? I've read some things about 'trash' icons, but they appear to be gone.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this. I realize its a bit long, but I figured more detail was preferable, so no one offers solutions which I've already tried. Cheers.

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Try removing the the phone from your Google account(under settings-account). Then try going to the market using the Play link. I believe it will ask for your account, which you would then re-enter your google account. It should reset the info for what is actually installed on your phone. I had a similar issue awhile back and this procedure fixed it for me.

intlzncster2

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Try removing the the phone from your Google account(under settings-account). Then try going to the market using the Play link. I believe it will ask for your account, which you would then re-enter your google account. It should reset the info for what is actually installed on your phone. I had a similar issue awhile back and this procedure fixed it for me.

Hi Raymond, thanks very much for the reply.

I just removed my one Google account from the phone. I also removed the backup to google's servers. I then restarted the phone and used the Play store app, which asked me to put my Google email/pwd in again. I did so, it reloaded my account, but the missing apps are still unavailable.

Is there anything else you can think of with regards to this? I wonder if there is a way to manually reset that google app info?

Thanks again for your help.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
That's really weird. Have you tried contacting Google? I have no idea if there's any customer service for Google Play, but this seems like a case to try it if it exists.

And to hijack your thread -- You seem to be running the i9195 on a US carrier, T-Mobile. What data speeds can you get? It looks like there's no 4G in the US, but is there 3G? I really want the mini, but am frustrated by what seems to be a lack of hi-speed data. Thanks

intlzncster2

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Puzzle, thanks for the suggestion. I ended up brute forcing the issue with an uninstaller, a cache cleaner and a wipe. The end result is that I can see most of the apps now. One of the apps shows up as another app (android lost is showing as personal notes in app drawer), so I just downloaded a picture of the app off the play store and used Desktop VisualizR to create a custom app on my home screen that looks like the original. And I'm using something other than Onavo now.

RE the speeds, I'm not exactly sure what I'm getting. I have 4G enabled, but have been using wifi so much I haven't noticed. I doubt it's running full capacity. There is 3G data in the US. That is what my phone uses with my prepaid unlimited contract. I can do a speedtest (app) for you if you like.

EDIT: just ran speedtest.net app. here are the results with wifi turned off (4 bar signal):

My location: Western Mass
Host Location: Cedar Lake, Indiana
PING: 631ms
DOWNLOAD: 5523kbs
UPLOAD: 2097kbps

I bought this version of the phone because I travel overseas a bit, and it is more functional (and faster) for that. It does everything the US version does (has all the 3G network options) and appears to have .5gb more ram? Same price too. Y

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800