Don't want vanity dialing

fillefjuff

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
When I am about to send a text message to Nils for example and start writing Ni in the box to get the right phone number, instead of showing all names that start with Ni the number 64 appears and all the phone numbers that include those numbers (64) appear before Nils or any other names starting with Ni. I think this is called vanity dialing and it comes from the time when there were no qwerty phones and you could have a number like 1-800-FLOWERS. But this is totally useless for me and I want to turn off that feature. Does anyone know how to do that?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. I think you are referring to T9 dialing, but that works the opposite way (turning it off would only search the numbers, and not the letters)
And from what I can tell, you can't disable it...at least on my S3 (which I assume is similar to your S4 Mini).

There are lots of dialer apps in the Play Store though to replace the Touchwiz one. Perhaps someone knows if one of them offers this capability.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
When I am about to send a text message to Nils for example and start writing Ni in the box to get the right phone number, instead of showing all names that start with Ni the number 64 appears and all the phone numbers that include those numbers (64) appear before Nils or any other names starting with Ni. I think this is called vanity dialing and it comes from the time when there were no qwerty phones and you could have a number like 1-800-FLOWERS. But this is totally useless for me and I want to turn off that feature. Does anyone know how to do that?

Open the dialer and click Menu>Settings. There you can alter the keypad settings, but I think Mark is right.
However, you can either make a contact a favorite by clicking on the star. Then go to favorites, the star at the top, or in standard contacts, you can scroll to them, and swipe to one side or the other. One way is calling, the other is texts. For this to work I believe you need to be close to the center and swipe out.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

fillefjuff

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys. I didn't find any key pad settings unfortunately, so I guess I will just have to learn to live with it... But the swiping thing was a good tip:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma