1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry S4 Mini Update - now terrible battery life and poor wifi reliability

My S4 Mini got a system upgrade a few days ago, and is now on 4.2.2 (..not sure what it was before, must have been 4.2.1.. surprised they bothered to spend time updating to 4.2.2 rather than the more up to date Android versions, but still....). The update seemed non-optional, since I got a full-screen notification of it every time I unlocked the phone, and was only able to dismiss the notification for 3 hours at a time.

Since the update, my phone battery life is significantly worse. Full battery drain in around 9 hours when sat in my pocket doing nothing, not connected to mobile data, and with GPS, etc. off. It used to last around 36 hours. Also, WiFi reliability is much worse... it often fails to connect to WiFi, doesn't list any networks, etc. Running WiFi Analyser shows zero networks, when I know there are at least 10 in range, including my own. It takes several toggles of WiFi on/off, or Airplane mode, or full reboots, before WiFi comes to life again.

Top of the battery-use list by far is now "Android OS". Tapping it shows that it's "Stay Awake" is many hours.
    (Previously I had issues with Google Play Services flattening the battery, which I worked around by disabling Location Services using Wifi/Cell data. The current battery drain issue isn't related to that issue).

I've found other posts from other phones, or from the non-Mini S4, relating to 4.2.2, but all from several months back, suggesting the issue was fixed. If so, why was this faulty version just rolled out to my S4 Mini in Nov 2013? I would root and load a different ROM on to the phone, except that would invalidate my warranty on a phone that is only 3 months old. I'm in the crazy situation where I could fix the problem myself, but invalidate the warranty, or leave it in warranty but faulty due to Samsung forcing out a faulty update. This is the exact reason why I moved away from HTC phones!

Has anyone else seen these issues? ...have any suggested fixes?

Baseband Version: I9195XXUBMJ7
    Kernel Version: 3.4.0-1901606 se.infra:R0210-01 #1 Tue Oct 22 17:37:06 KST 2013
    Build number: JDQ39.I9195XXUBMJ7
    SELinux status: Enforcing SEPT_GT_-I9195_4.2.2_0002
    Carrier: Three UK (about to switch to GiffGaff). Phone bought SIM-Free.

--Dave
    ....despairing about great phones getting killed by updates
    Last edited by dfluff; 12-02-2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Subscribing to thread

Default Re: S4 Mini Update - now terrible battery life and poor wifi reliability

Welcome to Android Central! It's generally a good idea to wipe the system cache partition after a system update, in order to clear out any leftover temporary system data from the previous version that might be cause problems. No personal data will be lost:

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: S4 Mini Update - now terrible battery life and poor wifi reliability

Thanks for the welcome B.
    I've been through the Recovery Boot and selected Clear Cache, but I haven't seen any change. I didn't risk clearing the dalvik cache, as I wasn't sure what effect that would have. Is that also worth doing?

--Dave

Not sure about dalvik. Samsung seems to be having some issues lately with updates. I've read about issues with the recent 4.3 update for the S4 as well. Might be worth contacting Samsung support.

Posted via Android Central App