Need help with my S4 mini

skeezypeezy

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I got it a month ago and there are several annoying things with it. I'm wondering if anyone has the same issue, and if i can get some help:

1. Probably about 80% of the time when i use my phone, when i swipe through the security, the play store automatically loads. I don't even do anything. I just hit my home button, go onto the main screen and all of a sudden the play store pops up. Can anyone provide advice on this or thoughts?

2. Ads. I just switched from the original galaxy s to the s4 mini. so it's a different experience. But the s4 mini has pop up ads. Do you guys get this also? I'll be using my phone and an ad just pops up. Is this standard for the "new" generation of phones, and how can i get rid of this?

3. When i'm playing music on the music player, with headphones off, when i put the phone down (with speaker facing up), the music stops automatically. Quite an annoying feature.

Thanks, any and all help appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Need help with my s4 mini

1) never heard of that happening. No idea why Play Store should pop up right away, unless it's a widget on your homescreen.
2) pop up ads are NOT a part of Android, nor of TouchWiz. Very likely you've got an app spamming you. Check Playstore for an ad scanner. I use the one from Lookout Security (the ad scanner is a separate download, no need to have Lookout Security installed)
3) Does the music stop ONLY when you place in face down? Does it keep playing when it's placed screen up (speaker down)? If that's the case I'm guessing the proximity sensor is telling the music to pause (thinking you've put it in your pocket or something) Check your "smart" settings in TouchWiz (smartstay, smartscan, or whatever all those "smart features" are that Samsung includes). Does it only do it with the music player? does it do it with a streaming radio app like Songza or Slacker or similar? Is it tied specifically to the music app?

skeezypeezy

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

Hey dancing-bass, those are all really helpful.

1. i'll look deeper into that. i suspect it may also be spam in an app, because it usually loads the play store for a specific app. i suspect the ad scanner may be able to take care of it.

2. will download ad scanner. thanks!

3. yes, it only stops when i don't have headphones on, the music is playing, then i place the phone with the screen facing down (back of the phone facing up). then it just stops. I have to lift up the phone (with screen still facing down) and hit play, then put back down in the same position. i also suspect it's one of those "smart" settings that aren't too smart. I haven't tried songza or slacker or anything yet, so for now yes just music player.

skeezypeezy

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

update:

seems the issue with playstore loading by itself, and the pop up ads, were all related to an app that had push-ads enabled. i downloaded an ad blocker as suggested (AppBrain Ad Detector) and it told me which app it was, and deleted the app. So far so good, no more pop ups ads and no more auto-loading playstore. Thanks!

Still trying to solve third issue.

Thanks

Havdaddy

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

Had a similar issue with mine. Determined it is as dancing-bass says. Next to the front facing camera there are two sensors. You will get the same result if you just cover those with a finger. The proximity sensor thinks you've put the phone in your pocket or in a case and therefore aren't wanting the music.

miked1187

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

I have a problem with receiving mms messages. I can send no problems. S4 mini with a straight talk att sim card 4G lte.

Conor Mcdyer

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

3. When i'm playing music on the music player, with headphones off, when i put the phone down (with speaker facing up), the music stops automatically. Quite an annoying feature.

this is actually solved quite easily if you go SETTINGS > MYDEVICE > MOTIONS AND GESTURES > MOTION and scroll right down to the bottom to where it says 'turn over'.
if you switch this off it should solve your problem

Shelter7

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site

update:

seems the issue with playstore loading by itself, and the pop up ads, were all related to an app that had push-ads enabled. i downloaded an ad blocker as suggested (AppBrain Ad Detector) and it told me which app it was, and deleted the app. So far so good, no more pop ups ads and no more auto-loading playstore. Thanks!

Still trying to solve third issue.

Thanks

And the naughty app, causing the chaos was...I`m quite curious, to avoid downloading it in the future

Neeraj Rao

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I have s4 mini too
The problem with your music player is that when you put the phone facing the speaker upside the sensor automatically pauses the music thinking that you put it in your pocket or something else and its a smart function you should be happy that your phone supports it

+ play the music and then lock your mobile if u wanna to play the music facing the speaker of your phone upside !!!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon