Galaxy S4 Mini: Auto reboots

Murraywilliams

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
My Samsung S4 Mini has started auto-rebooting. Randomly switches off then on. Sometimes repeats 2 or 3 consecutive times, sometimes 5-6 . Anyone had this problem and any fixes?

Last edited by a moderator:

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Auto reboots

I put S4 Mini Randomly auto-rebooting into the Google search. There was a number of responses, some for S4 and some for S4 mini. If you do not get an answer here you might just try that search.

Trafalgar169

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I had a similar problem on my partners S4 mini i9195. I went through the whole process of trying to get it into the safe boot and hard start modes using the various combinations of power-volume up/down-home button presses, all to no avail. I was able to swap out the mother board but still no change. I then swapped out the screen/digitiser and IT WORKED. It seems that the chip which controls the touchscreen had ceased functioning correctly. This may have been due to a static shock. My partner told me that she had been talking on the phone and it just rebooted and that she has had a number of static shocks recently at work. This may not be the answer all the time but it is this time. Hope this helps.

Renzil Fonseka

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
why it is doing this? I have the same issue!! I gave to Eros electronics Abu Dhabi, but they could not fix the issue yet??
why I cannot replace the phone when such problem not yet identified by agent?

Arikiis

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have this problem - with a BRAND new phone (S4 mini, i9195, 4.2.2, I9195XXUAMF5, 3.4.0-870901, JDQ39.I9195XXUAMF5).
2 days after buying it, it started rebooting, about once every two days. After a week, the store has checked my battery and said it was bad (was outputting too high voltage). they replaced it. 2 days later- it reboot again (by this time I have installed 'boot log' on the phone, to have records of all reboots, even if I do not notice them). The store has replaced my phoen. Within less then a day it reboot again...
So, now I am experimenting... this weekend, I am leaving it on the table / not carrying it in my pocket. We'll see what happens.

I though I notices there was a suggested firmware update to 'improve stability' of the 4.2.2. - does anyone know about it?

Also, does anyone know of an application which will also give me more details of what cause the phone to reboot (re-start)?

Any help will be appreciated.
Arik

rpgmaker

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I will leave this comment here since it's one of the highest ranked for the "s4 mini restarting" google search.

The phone, for some reason, kept restarting itself from time to time. Sometimes it took several days but it ended up restarting in the end. I did all the debugging I could trying to pinpoint what was the source of this issue. I went through several cycles of reinstalling a firmware and not change any of the preferences to changing most of them, trying to see if it was something I did (or didn't do) that was causing this or the phone hardware was simply faulty. Sometimes I just didn't install any of my most intrusive rooted apps but it still kept restarting. I even installed a logging application that logged EVERYTHING in the system in order to see what kind of crash was causing the restart and I found nothing.

After a while I just came to the conclusion that it had nothing to do with anything I did but I was starting to see a pattern. Whenever a restart occurred it happened after I had receive or made at least one phone call (later I noticed that SMS messages would trigger it too, both are related to the Phone system application). It could take several days after a phone call for the restart to happen or it could happen on the same day but always after a call had been placed or received. Thanks to instant messaging I rarely need to make a phone call so I could go days without using the Phone application and the phone wouldn't restart itself and thanks to this I could see the pattern. After this discovery I started to tweak the Phone settings in order to see if it could be fixed this way but I had no luck. In the end I decided to change the sim card not because I thought it was damaged but because I was running out of ideas :). After changing it and making a call I saw what the problem was. By default, the Phone app always shows a little message that reads "conditional call forwarding is active" or something like that. A long time ago I had disabled that message and I didn't remember but after changing the sim card the message is showing up again. It turns out that that setting is saved in the sim card and that is why none of my firmware reinstallations fixed the issue since the setting was being read from the sim card anyways. For some reason the phone doesn't deal well with this feature being disabled which is weird but I don't care, I haven't had the phone restart again even after placing numerous phone calls :D. Usually it restarted once every 4 days or so AT LEAST and now I have 23 days of continuous uptime.

I love this phone, I've been using it for years and have bought several models of the S4 mini. I really didn't want to change models (something this issue was driving me towards), it's perfect for me size-wise and phones these days are just TOO BIG. Someone was even offering me an S4 but I didn't want it because for me the deciding feature when it comes to phones it's a small size and this one has both: comfortable size and decent specs. I hope this helps someone in the future.

Arikiis

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for not updating my experience - but I reached the conclusion that it all had to do with the mechanical strength of the phone / bending / pressure on some sensitive area.
Since I had a smaller phone before, I was used to placing my phone horizontaly in my upper part of the front jeans pocket, above my wallet. I noticed the correlation to my phisical movement, and decided that when I create a bending pressure on the phone, it would restart.
Ever since I changed to vertical, and just being carefull about it, I never encountered this issue anymore.
I do agree with observation that the 4.2 screen is a classic size, and I wish higher end phones would be offered also in this screen size WITHOUT the huge compromise they make pn phone performance and features.
In the meanwhile, I've upgraded to android 4.4.2... and I will soon cave in and switch to a larger format.
Good luck to all of us.
Arik

rpgmaker

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm glad that your issue wasn't as convoluted as mine.

For my part I don't care if performance is less than the flagships (it is still very good and more than enough for me) as long as the size stays the same. Sadly, this isn't exactly the samsung approach, which is the only manufacturer building a small phone with decent specs (HTC splashes the mini label on some but they aren't really 'mini' or lightweight). Every new mini is bigger than the last one which means that at some point the minis will reach the size of the phablets. They are getting close to the size of the S3 now, a device I was reticent to get in the first place because of its size and is the phone that made me realize that I much rather small ones. At this rate the S10 mini will have the size of the S5. It's ridiculous. There is hope though, Apple is going to release a 4" phone (allegedly) and Samsung will want to compete against that, luckily they're going to change their ways regarding the Minis.

If things keep going the way they are I know that at some point I will have to cave in too but I'll try to make it as far in the future as possible. I think the s4 mini can still work for me a couple of years more.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21