Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mdawdy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery Usage, Cell Standby & Network mode ?

I would like to understand whatever relationships exist amoung Battery Usage, Cell Standby, & Network mode.

I am seeing that Cell Standby accounts for 40% of my battery usage - with GPS, Wi-Fi, and Mobile Data all turned off.

Under network mode i have 4 choices ...
    1. GSM/HPSA/LTE auto connect
    2. GSM/HPSA auto connect
    3. GSM only
    4. HPSA only

Will my choice among these affect my battery usage?

What is the difference if i do not choose an auto connect option? I am guessing that auto connect simply means that the phone will choose the best option, so auto connect is not necessary when there is just one choice.

I do not need the extra hi speed of LTE. Rogers coverage in Canada is slightly better with GSM/EDGE than with HPSA. So i am considering setting my phone to GSM only.

Here is the coverage map. If you uncheck all 4 then check them one at a time you can compare ...

Will i save battery usage with this choice? What do ya think?

Samsung Galaxy S4 mini SGH-I257M , 4.2.2

Default Re: Battery Usage, Cell Standby & Network mode ?

I don't think I can answer the specific network questions, but what is important to know is if the high Cell Standby percentage is due in large part to poor signal. Under the battery stats, tap Cell Standby, and see if tells you what percentage of time there was no signal. If it's a high percentage, that means more battery drain as the cell radio searches for signal.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you for the reply. Late this morning the battery ran down completely so phone shut off, then i fully charged it. It has been on for 9 hours 17 minutes. Time without signal is 3%. That is 16 minutes out of 557. Is that typical? a lot? a little?

Battery is at 87% and has had virtually no use, phone mostly idle. No calls. GPS, Wi-Fi, data all off.

3% without signal is good, but it sounds like that was after a full charge, and then running for 9 hrs. It would have been good to see what the time without signal was when your Cell Standby was at 40%.

The battery running down 13% over 9 hrs+ isn't all that bad, even if you weren't doing much with it. You might want to install an app like or to find out if there are any apps that are inappropriately waking the phone up many times a day (usually to try to access the web to update info).
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Actually, i am not concerned about the battery running down too quickly due to apps. It is just that this Cell Standby is at the top of the list at 40%. The screen is half that at 20%, and the rest are single digit numbers. So whatever this Cell Standby is, i would like to reduce it if i can.

Cell Standby is a pretty normal function--it just means the cell radio is on standby, ready to use. It can use up significant battery if there's weak or no signal, but if signal is good, it probably won't use up too much battery. Just because it's a high percentage of total battery usage doesn't necessarily mean it's using too much battery--in fact, it might be a good sign, because it may show that all other processes are remaining pretty quiet, and not misbehaving. What would be helpful would be screenshots of your battery stats after a good day of usage.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks again for the helpful info. I understand better now what is happening. Being an old retired guy and a bit of a hermit the phone does not get a lot of use, especially during the winter. One day when i am giving it more use, like when planning stuff with some buddies, i'll do that.
    B. Diddy likes this.