Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: Android System Structure, SGH-I257M

Quote Originally Posted by Relgoshan View Post
    That's funny and here I thought I was on the forums for Tiny Core.
    I have been away from Unix/Linux etc for 15+ years. I had forgotten about Tiny Core and the like. Neat project, as is anything that is minimal, like the number of live Apps in my phone

Quote Originally Posted by mdawdy View Post
    I have been away from Unix/Linux etc for 15+ years. I had forgotten about Tiny Core and the like. Neat project, as is anything that is minimal, like the number of live Apps in my phone
    While I have been a fan of bare utility since Plan 9 and a renewed fan of *nix minification since D a m n Small Linux, insofar as my portable devices are concerned I favor *breadth* of utility over minification. Except for Propeller and Pi. Tiny Pi. Best Pi. Working toward a custom dense image for that.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

... These others from your list i will disable and see what happens ...
    Samsung Syncadapters - 720 KB <<<======== I had to re-enable this one ...
    Samsung Syncadapters apparently is responsible for allowing moving App/Widget icons among the home screens

Mick
    Thanked by:

Thanks, interesting. Since my preference is to have only 1 home panel, Sammy Syncadaptors will remain off here. Just hope I remember about this if ever having reason for >1 home panel.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

Also needed to move an icon around on the same screen.

I too have just one home screen. I keep a couple of free spots on it to move Apps to temporarily. I tried to re-arrange and it would not do it. I would tap and hold [long press?] wanting to move the icon, the screen would become smaller then immediately go back to full size. Tried it a few times, re-enabled the Synchadapters, and it was back to good.

I think there were 3 Synchadapter apps. I re-enabled just one of them, but all 3 got re-enabled.

Mick

Strange. Removed an icon/shortcut from my homescreen to create a blank spot, and then moved one of the other icons there with no problem. Maybe the reason I don't need syncadaptors is that I'm not using Samsung's TouchWiz? (Been using Apex, after trying 6 or 8 different homescreen/launchers and staying with Nova for a month or so.)

In case you're interested, I followed this guide with my S4 mini SGH-I257M.

[SGH-i257m][ROOT] A Newbs Guide To Rooting & Modding the CANADIAN S4 Mini - xda-developers

And then downloaded Titanium Backup free from the google play store to debloat/uninstall unwanted apps.

I'm actually more afraid to delete systems apps with TB, than I was to root!

In my opinion, flashing custom ROMs is where you should be more careful!

Our poor Canadian variants are often over looked.

But anyway, followed that about two hours ago and so far so good.

I rooted successfully with this guide originally,

Root I257MVLUBNE6 Android 4.4.2 Stock Firmware On Galaxy S4 Mini SGH-I257M- Simple Tutorial | NasirTech | #1 Samsung Firmware Destination

But it didn't seem to leave me with a custom recovery program. So I re-did it with the xda guide above.

Both worked though.. If anything fishy happens I'll let you know

Edit: The xda guide says it's for our model, but it doesn't seem like it uses files made for our variant.. Which is why I liked the CF auto root method at first. (it actually seems to be made for us!)

But again. I walked on the wild side to get the custom recovery. Maybe some day I'll have the guts to flash a custom ROM.. And when that day comes.. I'll be ready:-)

Have you unlocked the developer options by going to settings>about device>tap on build number several times
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

Hi Jemh, thanks for the contribution and for the PM. Yes i do know about the developer options.

It is too bad that root procedure write-up does not include the details of the un-root procedure to restore warranty; and to not trip the KNOX flag. That would inspire confidence, at least in myself. I am currently stuck with keeping mine stock as it is in for warranty repair.

Hey sorry didn't realize I sent both!

I hear you on the warranty. My brother in law just opened a phone repair shop, so hopefully I'm covered!

Update: My phone is still fine, using it now! and if I come across how to unroot, I'll post it here.

Un-root procedure is not all that difficult. Basically, it requires you to find and flash your stock ROM. Good info, here:

[GUIDE][UNROOT][STOCK]How to flash stock firmwares - xda-developers

...to restore warranty; and to not trip the KNOX flag...
    Bingo! You've pinpointed the 'catch' in the un-root process. Samsung used to look the other way about this type of playing around with Android, but somewhere around 4.2.x, they beef'd up KNOX to where resetting the 0x1 flag is "impossible" (Samsung's word for it). We'll see what the devs can do about it, but so far it appears they are respecting it because custom ROM users are able to get the latest updates without needing warranty.
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12