Android System Structure, SGH-I257M

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Found a root method for your model number, but I'm not sure if it still works on the latest update to the OS.
Root new S4 mini model SGH-I257M - Page 7 - xda-developers
Last post ...

No problem here with battery drain running JB 4.2.2, not anymore that is. ... It turn'd out to be involved with Nearby Services running for no good reason ... It is wise of you to be very cautious about rooting. There are too many ways for things to go fowl ...

Thanx UJ95x. I am already aware of that thread. I would need to do a lot of work to detail the actual list of softwares to download, which to the PC and which to the phone, what specific procedures to follow with each, in what sequence etc. I may do this and end with a good detail list that would be of use to others like myself who are new to rooting etc. But not just now.

So in the meantime i am following Wm7Long's advice, and being very cautious. It seems that is rooting not a simple process with a pre-determined result.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanx UJ95x. I am already aware of that thread. I would need to do a lot of work to detail the actual list of softwares to download, which to the PC and which to the phone, what specific procedures to follow with each, in what sequence etc. I may do this and end with a good detail list that would be of use to others like myself who are new to rooting etc. But not just now.

So in the meantime i am following Wm7Long's advice, and being very cautious. It seems that is rooting not a simple process with a pre-determined result.

That's fine. Rooting isn't very hard if you follow the instructions and are somewhat familiar with the terminology. When I did it, it was a one click process.
Let us know if you have any other questions :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Here is a link to an album on my Picasaweb. It contains 39 images, of the list of All apps on my Samsung Galaxy S4 mini SGH-I257M, obtained with [Settings | More | Application manager | All]. I have had the device for 3 months so this is not the stock list, but it is not rooted. The last 8 pages show the Apps that i have already Disabled with [Settings | More | Application manager | All | tap name of app | Disable]. I will be going thru the list in these images and disabling as many more apps as i can ...
https://picasaweb.google.com/109385353406757614318/S4MiniAllApps

This Disable option is semi-permanent. They stay disabled thru power off/on including battery remove/re-install. Each can be re-enabled by [Settings | More | Application manager | All | tap name of app | Enable]

So far, in addition to those already Disabled, i am considering Disabling each of the following. If i am on the verge of a disaster with any of these please let me know. I'll post my results in this thread ...

Basic Daydreams
Best Face
Bubbles
CloudAgent
CoolEuKor
DroidSerifItalic
Face Unlock
Mobile Print
Mobile Print Svc_CUPS
Mobile Print Svc_CUPS_..
RoseEUKor
SamsungText-to-speach
Syncmlds
TalkBack
Trim

There may be more possibilities that i have missed. I will go thru the list again after i explore this list.

TIA for any comments,

Mick

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I disabled the 15 apps listed in my previous post bringing the total number disabled to about 65. Following the procedure referenced above. No problems.

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
That's funny and here I thought I was on the forums for Tiny Core.

I have been away from Unix/Linux etc for 15+ years. I had forgotten about Tiny Core and the like. Neat project, as is anything that is minimal, like the number of live Apps in my phone :cool:

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I have been away from Unix/Linux etc for 15+ years. I had forgotten about Tiny Core and the like. Neat project, as is anything that is minimal, like the number of live Apps in my phone :cool:

While I have been a fan of bare utility since Plan 9 and a renewed fan of *nix minification since D a m n Small Linux, insofar as my portable devices are concerned I favor *breadth* of utility over minification. Except for Propeller and Pi. Tiny Pi. Best Pi. Working toward a custom dense image for that.

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
... These others from your list i will disable and see what happens ...
Samsung Syncadapters - 720 KB <<<======== I had to re-enable this one ...

Samsung Syncadapters apparently is responsible for allowing moving App/Widget icons among the home screens

Mick

Wm7Long

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, interesting. Since my preference is to have only 1 home panel, Sammy Syncadaptors will remain off here. Just hope I remember about this if ever having reason for >1 home panel.

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Also needed to move an icon around on the same screen.

I too have just one home screen. I keep a couple of free spots on it to move Apps to temporarily. I tried to re-arrange and it would not do it. I would tap and hold [long press?] wanting to move the icon, the screen would become smaller then immediately go back to full size. Tried it a few times, re-enabled the Synchadapters, and it was back to good.

I think there were 3 Synchadapter apps. I re-enabled just one of them, but all 3 got re-enabled.

Mick

Wm7Long

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Strange. Removed an icon/shortcut from my homescreen to create a blank spot, and then moved one of the other icons there with no problem. Maybe the reason I don't need syncadaptors is that I'm not using Samsung's TouchWiz? (Been using Apex, after trying 6 or 8 different homescreen/launchers and staying with Nova for a month or so.)

Jemh1472

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
In case you're interested, I followed this guide with my S4 mini SGH-I257M.

[SGH-i257m][ROOT] A Newbs Guide To Rooting & Modding the CANADIAN S4 Mini - xda-developers

And then downloaded Titanium Backup free from the google play store to debloat/uninstall unwanted apps.

I'm actually more afraid to delete systems apps with TB, than I was to root!

In my opinion, flashing custom ROMs is where you should be more careful!

Our poor Canadian variants are often over looked.

But anyway, followed that about two hours ago and so far so good.

I rooted successfully with this guide originally,

Root I257MVLUBNE6 Android 4.4.2 Stock Firmware On Galaxy S4 Mini SGH-I257M- Simple Tutorial | NasirTech | #1 Samsung Firmware Destination

But it didn't seem to leave me with a custom recovery program. So I re-did it with the xda guide above.

Both worked though.. If anything fishy happens I'll let you know

Edit: The xda guide says it's for our model, but it doesn't seem like it uses files made for our variant.. Which is why I liked the CF auto root method at first. (it actually seems to be made for us!)

But again. I walked on the wild side to get the custom recovery. Maybe some day I'll have the guts to flash a custom ROM.. And when that day comes.. I'll be ready:)

Have you unlocked the developer options by going to settings>about device>tap on build number several times

Last edited:

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi Jemh, thanks for the contribution and for the PM. Yes i do know about the developer options.

It is too bad that root procedure write-up does not include the details of the un-root procedure to restore warranty; and to not trip the KNOX flag. That would inspire confidence, at least in myself. I am currently stuck with keeping mine stock as it is in for warranty repair.

Jemh1472

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey sorry didn't realize I sent both!

I hear you on the warranty. My brother in law just opened a phone repair shop, so hopefully I'm covered! :)

Update: My phone is still fine, using it now! and if I come across how to unroot, I'll post it here.

Wm7Long

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Un-root procedure is not all that difficult. Basically, it requires you to find and flash your stock ROM. Good info, here:

[GUIDE][UNROOT][STOCK]How to flash stock firmwares - xda-developers

...to restore warranty; and to not trip the KNOX flag...

Bingo! You've pinpointed the 'catch' in the un-root process. Samsung used to look the other way about this type of playing around with Android, but somewhere around 4.2.x, they beef'd up KNOX to where resetting the 0x1 flag is "impossible" (Samsung's word for it). We'll see what the devs can do about it, but so far it appears they are respecting it because custom ROM users are able to get the latest updates without needing warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20