All the background apps are slowing me down

Villordsutch

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If noticed that on my phone that a lot of the phones apps that I barely (if ever) use like Samsung's own, s voice, Google books/movies etc. I've attempted to disable the Google ones but they enable themselves.

Is there anyway of stopping or uninstalling these for good so they stop eating away at my processing speed?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using AC Forums mobile app

Villordsutch

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It's awful I can't even stop the bloody Google ones! I think I do then they magically turn themselves on. I have a Kindle app on my tablet and have no desire to read a book on my S4mini. I switch it off and the might Android God turns it back on. A couple of the Samsung ones have stayed disabled for the moment and I've chased down apps I've installed that have no reason to run in the background (Storecard! All the time!). I'm even considering removing my Battery Doctor, but don't know of a better app that can serve me better.

It galls me that nearly half of my phone's background apps are what I'd class as non-essential yet I can't shut them off!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
It's awful I can't even stop the bloody Google ones! I think I do then they magically turn themselves on. I have a Kindle app on my tablet and have no desire to read a book on my S4mini. I switch it off and the might Android God turns it back on. A couple of the Samsung ones have stayed disabled for the moment and I've chased down apps I've installed that have no reason to run in the background (Storecard! All the time!). I'm even considering removing my Battery Doctor, but don't know of a better app that can serve me better.

It galls me that nearly half of my phone's background apps are what I'd class as non-essential yet I can't shut them off!

The Google apps can't be disabled because they are likely system apps (necessary for the phone to work properly). You should be able to force stop/disable the Samsung apps, but they will turn back on after a reboot.
Only way to permanently delete/disable the apps is having root access and using the apps Titanium Backup to do so, but then again, you probably don't want to delete the Google apps since they are crucial to the performance of the OS.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
My S4 mini is the Canadian edition SGH-I257M. It is a stock configuration, no rooting, flashing, etc. I have disabled 50 apps and hope to be disabling more. These stay disabled thru power off-on, including remove/re-install of the battery. These include Adapt Sound, BlurbCheckout, ChatOn, DropBox, Google Play [Books, Games, Magazines, etc], Google+, S [Memo, Translator, Voice, etc], Samsung [Books, Link, Push Service, etc], SNS, and Yahoo! News to name just some.

The phone has a Disable option. This is not TurnOff or Stop or whatever, but Disable. It works ...

Settings | More | App Manager | All then tap an App, and the options include ForceStop, Disable, and Show Notifications. There are some Apps for which the Disable option is grayed out so it is not available. I have not finished with this process yet so i am unable to characterize which that applies to. A few are - AllShare ControlShare, Android System, BlueTooth Test, etc. A quick run thru parts of the list looks like i would not want to disable those anyway.

So, so far 50 apps disabled. The list is in my other thread that i referenced in post #2. More on the way [i hope].

Mick

Last edited:

TheStand9

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Rooting is the way, many of the Samsung & Google apps can be deleted or disabled when rooted. This can improve both battery life and performance.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
If noticed that on my phone that a lot of the phones apps that I barely (if ever) use like Samsung's own, s voice, Google books/movies etc. I've attempted to disable the Google ones but they enable themselves.

Is there anyway of stopping or uninstalling these for good so they stop eating away at my processing speed?

I am waiting for the part where you tragically discover that removing 150MB of memory usage and 15min/day CPU time does not speed up your device or improve its battery life. Only the active-link programs like Facebook, Steam, Skype really eat into your battery while running in the background. From a memclear I get about 700-800MB free memory which has been fine even for Multi Window mode on my tablet with the exact same chip package.

Allegedly removing TouchWiz can help your speed and battery a little but that's the straight answer. Stop being paranoid and try to enjoy a *working and rapidly flexible* device.

Villordsutch

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've only stopped apps I recognise, anything that doesn't scream "stop me!" is left to run :D