Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do I turn off Google maps prefetcer service permanently?

Can't I turn off this service permanently?

Its bad enough that its eating up my battery life in less then 12 hours but it also using all my free monthly bandwidth to find whatever its looking for in my nearby surroundings. I never use the map app and I find it to be rather massive invasion of my privacy to have this thing constantly fact checking where I am and what's around me in order to better assault me with ads for crap I don't want.

I've read every single thread I could find and as a result I have turned off Google now, location, latitude, GPS tracking, Google ads and turned sync off yet it still keeps turning itself on without permission.

It just can't be right that I have to turn on my phone every thirty minutes to stop this app in to conserve power and bandwidth.

Default re: How do I turn off Google maps prefetcer service permanently?

Have you tried Settings | More | LocationServices
    then set Access To My Location to OFF?

What i do is keep Access To My Location, Wi-Fi, GPS, and Mobile Data all set off except when i want to use them specifically.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: How do I turn off Google maps prefetcer service permanently?

Everything have been turned, location, GPS, latitude. I've checked off everything that even mentions tracking my location and yet this app keeps turning on on its own. I have noted that sometimes it also turns on something called Google services as well, but that's rare.

It's driving me crazy that some app I keep force stopping via settings - applications can just turn itself on whenever it damn well feels like it.

In Apps there is an app called Google Settings. One of the choices that pops up is Location, then Access Location. You could uncheck this.

Sorry i am just a beginner here. Those are all i can offer. I was hoping a more experienced member would chime in.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Okay, I don't think I'm being clear here.

I've turned off everything to do with location, including all the options under google in the settings menu, app menu plus general settings.

But Map prefecterservice still turns on at random to abuse my connection and battery power.

Quote Originally Posted by Modochi View Post
    ...Its bad enough that its eating up my battery life in less then 12 hours but it also using all my free monthly bandwidth to find whatever its looking for in my nearby surroundings. I never use the map app and I find it to be rather massive invasion of my privacy to have this thing constantly fact checking where I am and what's around me in order to better assault me with ads for crap I don't want...
    Thanks for the best laugh I've had in days! But reading on, it seems you have a serious problem here. Like you, I am sensitive to resource loss for anything I don't want or need. So I frequently check into Settings > Application Manager > Running. There are about a dozen services that I've been unable to stop, but I've never seen a Map Prefetcher in there or anywhere. Where'd it come from, and what kicks it off? Could it be something in the bloatware your carrier service provided?

Edit - Having now look'd at your AC profile, I see you've had your S4mini since Oct. So I'm assuming you didn't wait half a year to complain about this problem. Might your troubles have started after installing one of those 'free' apps that is supported by ads?

It's because it's Google services to my knowledge the best thing to do is to uninstall maps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Wm7Long View Post
    Thanks for the best laugh I've had in days! But reading on, it seems you have a serious problem here. Like you, I am sensitive to resource loss for anything I don't want or need. So I frequently check into Settings > Application Manager > Running. There are about a dozen services that I've been unable to stop, but I've never seen a Map Prefetcher in there or anywhere. Where'd it come from, and what kicks it off? Could it be something in the bloatware your carrier service provided?
    It's part of the preinstalled bloatware that as far as I can tell have gone haywire. I've been observing it hourly to find out why it acts the way it does and I've notice two things that kick it off. Movement and time, if I leave the phone along for roughly an hours time, Map Prefetcer turns on to do whatever it is, but if I take my phone for a walk or drive, that'll set it off as well.

Something curious I did also notice is the activation of a secondary Google Service connected with google messenger if I leave the phone idle long enough. Given that I have disabled sync and have to update my gmail account myself, I'm utterly confused why this thing is also randomly active.

Edit - Having now look'd at your AC profile, I see you've had your S4mini since Oct. So I'm assuming you didn't wait half a year to complain about this problem. Might your troubles have started after installing one of those 'free' apps that is supported by ads?
    I've been ignoring and cancelling every single update suggested by the phone, last time I agreed to one my phone was infested by so much bloatware as you call it that I had to reset it to factory mode. However, I have a growing fear that google is auto updating their preinstalled software without my premission with Map prefetcer merely getting turned on to check for any nearby Wi Fi access points since I killed my own Wi fi access. The constant search for any active Wi-Fi access points would eat up both battery and bandwidth if done too often.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by metle_geek View Post
    It's because it's Google services to my knowledge the best thing to do is to uninstall maps

How can I do that?

They odexed it and cooked it into the rom the only way to get rid of it is to take the plunge root the phone and use titanium backup to freeze it or delete it I suggest freezing first to see how it reacts if nothing happens delete it

Exclamation Re: How do I turn off Google maps prefetcer service permanently?

Yes! I have the same problem.
    I keep looking everywhere, but no one knows how to turn this thing off.
    I use maps, it is convenient, but today I just realized whenever I use 4G it is there eating up my data (even though I do not have it open or active and under running apps it is not even listed).
    How is this possible?
    I also always have location off unless I purposefully turn it on for help, and I keep sync off.

Maybe it can somehow be changed to not automatically come up when phone starts?

I have the Galaxy Note 3 btw.