Odd Problem with SGHi257M

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
The problem is that the phone will not ring for either incoming or outgoing calls. Someone phoning me gets no rings, it goes immediately to voice mail. When i try to call out the screen looks perfectly normal - all of the correct icons are showing up so it looks like it is ringing, but it is not ringing either at my phone or at the person i am calling.

The problem is cured by restarting the phone. Only after i restart the phone do i get notification about any messages that were left.

This happens only when the battery is at about 40%, but not always - just occasionally and rarely. It happened today for the first time in a few months; it also happened a few times, a few months ago.

I would think that at 40% battery there should be no battery charge related problems? 40% should be plenty to run the phone?

Any ideas? I am going to return it to the store and ask about this, but i would like to have some more info to go on, if any is available.

TIA,

Mick

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Is the Sim card OK? Can you test it in another device?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
No other device. But how would i test the SIM card for such an occasional problem, or for any problem? I wonder too why you would suspect the SIM card? Have you seen other occurrences of this or similar problems where the SIM was the cause?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No other device. But how would i test the SIM card for such an occasional problem, or for any problem? I wonder too why you would suspect the SIM card? Have you seen other occurrences of this or similar problems where the SIM was the cause?

Honestly, I was taking a shot in the dark.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
It could be a software glitch. Try a factory reset to see if that helps. Note: You should backup all of your data if you decide to go that route.

Wizzrah | AT&T HTC One XL | Tapatalk

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
... This happens only when the battery is at about 40%, but not always - just occasionally and rarely. It happened today for the first time in a few months; it also happened a few times, a few months ago ...

Update: It may very well be happening more often than i thought. I do not get a lot of calls, certainly not every day, so it could be quite consistent and i may not have noticed. For the next while i'll let it run down every other day and check.

It happened today. I just decided arbitrarily to check. Battery at ~35%. I phoned to check if i had any messages. Everything looked normal as i said in my original post, but it did not ring and did not connect.

Before re-starting i checked to see if Mobile Data was working. It was not. After re-start both Mobile Data and the Phone were working.

I am wondering what is the technical significance to the Phone problem of the Mobile Data also not working? They must be somehow related in the hardware or software structure of the phone.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Maybe a bug with the radios and the device sleeping?

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I am not familiar with the meaning of the term "radios" in the context of a smart phone. Obviously not talking about AM and FM radios like in my Jeep :) So what exactly are the radios? And the term "sleeping", is that any time the screen is off?

When you say "a bug", this would not be a bug in everyone's SGHi257M or it would be well known. Do you mean something that might be fixed by doing a factory reset?

TIA,

Mick

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am not familiar with the meaning of the term "radios" in the context of a smart phone. Obviously not talking about AM and FM radios like in my Jeep :) So what exactly are the radios? And the term "sleeping", is that any time the screen is off?

When you say "a bug", this would not be a bug in everyone's SGHi257M or it would be well known. Do you mean something that might be fixed by doing a factory reset?

TIA,

Mick

Radios being the method how the cell receives signals. Sleeping is when the device has any prolonged inactivity. Similar to Windows and hibernation.

In regard to the bug, you may be right that we would theoretically hear about it, but variables like your carrier and area can come into play.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
OK, so are there separate radios [circuits?] in the phone for GSM, HSPA, and LTE for Mobile Data, Wi-Fi and BlueTooth for NFC, and voice?

Nice to get these tech things sorted.

Mick

Yes. The inside of a phone looks like a wiring diagram...lol

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
OK, so are there separate radios [circuits?] in the phone for GSM, HSPA, and LTE for Mobile Data, Wi-Fi and BlueTooth for NFC, and voice?

Nice to get these tech things sorted.

Mick

Most of the time, all of those things are combined into the CPU.

Wizzrah | AT&T HTC One XL | Tapatalk

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Did the factory reset today. Will see how this may affect the problem over the next few days. I'll post again.

I use CleanMaster. The newest version has a list of all the apps that can be Disabled. That sure makes that task easier. So i Disabled most of the ones on that list, keeping the few that i may need.

Wm7Long

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Radios being the method how the cell receives signals...

In the context of smartphones, the term 'radio' includes both receiver and transmitter. And these include hardware (e.g.: antennea, circuitry) as well as software, actually firmware, because the radio is part of the full ROM (separate from the OS in that you can flash a custom ROM with or without changing the radio). Just thought I'd jump in with what little I am fairly sure is correct, though I'm certainly no expert.

...And the term "sleeping", is that any time the screen is off?...

I have thought sleeping refers to when the phone is not awake in the sense of what is shown upon going to: Settings > More > Battery, and then tapping on the graph. For example:
BattyGraf1.png

But, looking at about 6 hours into the 28+ hours shown above (where the biggest drop occured), this would indicate the phone can be 'sleeping' even when the screen is on!!!???

Attachments

• BattyGraf.png
    BattyGraf.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I got my phone back today. On the report it says ...

Complaint
#1[]C56-no service
phone antenna cutting out intermittently
Symptom code C56

Work performed
[202]-Full sw upgrade & phone reset
;sw re-flashed then rebuild to factory default

Repair code 202

I'll see if it happens again or not over the next few days and report back. To me it sounds like they did nothing to the physical components of the phone, just flashed/installed/configured the various software components.

Mick

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Here we are, exactly one week later, and the phone failed in exactly the same way. So the "repair" process they applied did not work. I'll be returning it to the Rogers store today and will report back here with the results.

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
i may have the solution to this problem of network drops now, finally. I took it back to the Rogers store where i bought it. This time there was a more knowledgeable guy there. He took one look at the screen and said "I know exactly what is the problem". What he noticed was that the LTE notification was not showing. This city is an LTE hot spot. The phone should connect with LTE virtually anywhere, anytime. He said it is not the phone at all, but that there is a "switch" that needs to be reset for my account; something to do with the SIM card. After a couple of phone calls he returned the phone and said that it is fixed.

Time will tell. I'll post again.

Mick

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
False alarm. The fix made it worse. Now it not only drops network connections, but also drains 50% of the battery over the course of one day with very little use. Used to drain 20%.

Mick

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Just reporting that the so-called knowledgeable guy was incorrect. Still dropping the networks. I went back and he was incorrect again as he believed that you had to have Mobile Data enabled to make/receive calls. Oh well, he was doing his best. Got thru today so far with no dropouts, and battery drain returned to normal ~20% loss for the day. Will see what happens overnight and tomorrow.

Getting kind of tired of having an unreliable device. Hope this gets settled soon. I'll be back to him as soon as it drops out again.

Mick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith