Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wifi Tethering on Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini

First off, I have Verizon unlimited data. I like it. I want to keep it. I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (SCH-I435) running Android JellyBean 4.2.2. The version (build) is I435VRUAMK5. Since this phone is second hand and without warranty, Im taking some liberties with it. I have so far unlocked it and rooted it. But my ultimate goal of turning it into a free hotspot tethering device is being thwarted. I installed the Hotspot Toggle Widget by Fattin Hotspot Network. It still defaults back to the Verizon hotspot plan . Ive read a lot of threads trying to decode this thing. Has anyone been able to figure this out for this build/carrier/model? I'm done scouring forums and threads for that golden nugget and I'm just coming right out and asking for help.
    Last edited by ltmac; 05-06-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Default Re: Wifi Tethering on Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini

Quote Originally Posted by ltmac View Post
    First off, I have Verizon unlimited data. I like it. I want to keep it. I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (SCH-I435) running Android JellyBean 4.2.2. The build is JDQ39.I435VRUAMK5. Since this phone is second hand and without warranty, I’m taking some liberties with it. I have so far unlocked it and rooted it. But my ultimate goal of turning it into a free hotspot tethering device is being thwarted. I installed the Hotspot Toggle Widget by Fattin Hotspot Network. It still defaults back to the Verizon hotspot plan . I’ve read a lot of threads trying to decode this thing. Has anyone been able to figure this out for this build/carrier/model? I'm done scouring forums and threads for that golden nugget and I'm just coming right out and asking for help.
    Well, If your device is running Jellybean 4.2.2 then I think there should be an option named tethering available for you, just try going into your settings>wifi settings>more settings>tethering and portable hotspot ! I am sure you can enable tethering from there have you checked it or not ??
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

yes
    Last edited by ltmac; 05-06-2014 at 10:48 PM. Reason: delete
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Burby View Post
    Well, If your device is running Jellybean 4.2.2 then I think there should be an option named tethering available for you, just try going into your settings>wifi settings>more settings>tethering and portable hotspot ! I am sure you can enable tethering from there have you checked it or not ??
    I got that. I'm after the free tethering that other carriers and/or models provide to rooted phones. that hotspot is the one I'm trying to avoid; it's sold as a plan.
    Banned

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ltmac View Post
    I got that. I'm after the free tethering that other carriers and/or models provide to rooted phones. that hotspot is the one I'm trying to avoid; it's sold as a plan.
    Well, if you are rooted then I don't think you'll be ...... anyway try using "ClockworkMod Tether" application for the tethering.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Burby View Post
    Well, if you are rooted then I don't think you'll be ...... anyway try using "ClockworkMod Tether" application for the tethering.
    Kelly, I tried that app. It didn't work as I couldn't find a USB driver for my model. Samsung offers no downloads. the usb tether gets me most of the way there, but hotspot is what I'm after. also, I have root on my phone. thanks for trying.