How do I stop 4.4.2 kit kat from installing

cty68955

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
This update came through today when I connected to Wi-Fi. Google store is set to never update. How do I remove this update from installing? I keep having to click postpone, but I'm afraid it will install on it's own.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Welcome!

If you're stock and not rooted then I don't believe there's a way to stop the OTA from coming through (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm gonna see if others can chime in on this :)

snuffdigital

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
When the update became available for me, it popped up on my phone and I was able to agree/download it or reject the update. I wanted to update mine so I went with it even though it had the option on my network to decline (although like the OP it probably would've kept coming up).

On the other hand, my boyfriend has the same exact phone, and is on sprint, and apparently when his update became available it did not let him reject or postpone the update. Maybe it depends on carriers? I know with mine (on Verizon) I was able to have the option to not install the update.

If you are seemingly able to keep postponing it, I wouldn't think it'd just some day go on its own. Although you never know, I'd still doubt it though if it'd be giving you the option to choose.

I kind of like the latest version. At first I was hesitant, but it added a little camera shortcut item to the bottom of the lockscreen. Also gave more customizable options for the lockscreen in general (like adding other icon shortcuts to other things if you'd like instead of having the camera shortcut). And other than that my call quality seems a little better since. And if you have music on your phone, when the phone is locked it displays the whole album across the whole lockscreen as it's playing instead of in a small section like before.

2d84yg.png

2nurqmh.png

8wgs1s.png

Last edited:

androidpiper

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
And on top of the wonderful points mentioned above, it doesn't have any noticeable impact on performance, I think it lowered my antutu score a bit but it takes less ram and fixed some weird random bugs I had.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

snuffdigital

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
It completely stopped my "no SIM" error when it updated. Although maybe I am using it more than I had, or accidentally forgetting to close certain things before I sleep. The only difference for me has seemed to be battery related. I close everything in the "recent apps" and then clear the ram. And the WiFi I never leave on or my data and yet the battery can drain as much as 20% over night and before it seemed far less. Could be coincidental, but I am not sure what else I should "stop" or check before sleeping that might be able to alleviate some drainage.

Wm7Long

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
...I am not sure what else I should "stop" or check before sleeping that might be able to alleviate some drainage.

What has been working for me is to stop all Google services, because as I see it, at night while I'm sleeping, they become disservices! To do this, I go to:

Settings > More > Application Manager > Running

Your 20% overnight drain indicates something fowl is going on. It takes alot of detective work to find the culprit(s) and figure how to fix. Mine would sometimes suck down ~30%, but for several months now, I lose only about 2% over an 8 hour time period. This is what I like to see first thing in the morning:
aGOODnite.png

You can get to this via: Settings > More > Battery, and then tap on the graph.

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
... I am not sure what else I should "stop" or check before sleeping that might be able to alleviate some drainage.

The newer version of CleanMaster that i installed has a list of all the built-in apps that are safe [in their opinion] to Disable. Seems like a good list to me. Contains about 50 apps. I keep only the few that i actively use. Go to the App Manager in CleanMaster.

snuffdigital

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I'll have to give this a try! I charge it almost 2 times a day now if not actually 2 -_-
I used to be able to get away with 1 charge and it'd last all day, even IF I used it to death with WiFi/data on.
I haven't downloaded anything new since the update went in, although who knows what Verizon could've added or what's now running or new that wasn't there/running before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa