Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wm7Long
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question S4 min extremely hot and battery wont charge/drains quickly

Hello

Recently my S4 mini has gotten really hot to the touch, I mean to the point where you cant hold it and its not just the battery its the whole phone even the screen

I have reset the phone and this did not help. I thought that it might be the battery so I tried to other batteries but got the same problem. My S4 mini wont charge the battery and it gets very hot quickly. I also tested my battery in another S4 mini and it charges fine and the phone doesn't get hot so to me there must be something wrong with my S4 mini itself?

I did a backup of my phone using the Kies software on my phone and did a factory restore but even after this my S4 mini still gets extremely hot, the battery wont charge and it drains quickly

If I look at my battery usage it shows my screen is using 47%. I have turned the brightness right down but this does not help the phone still gets extremely hot

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Mark

Default Re: S4 min extremely hot and battery wont charge/drains quickly

Welcome to Android Central! Are the battery contacts in the phone clean?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

They look fine to me

Also that would explain why the phone gets extremely hot and its not even charging at that point ie phone not plugged into charger or the fact that the phones battery drains at a fast speed

Just left home for the office now at 6:30 am. Had charged my battery on my wife's S4 to 100%. Placed it into my phone, got to the office 7:15 am, 45 minutes later and the battery is sitting at 60% and the whole phone is very hot

Thanks
    Mark

If you have an SD memory card in it, you should try pulling it out. Put the battery back in place without re-inserting the card. If you're 'lucky' and this fix's the problem, then you just need to reformat the card (or maybe get a new card). Good luck!
    B. Diddy likes this.

I have the same problem with Galaxy Express 2 (same configuration as S4 mini) ... battery`s running very hot , but i don`t know how the removal of the SD card have to do with the battery draing / hotness of the phone ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanase Liviu View Post
    ...how the removal of the SD card have to do with the battery draing / hotness of the phone ?!
    If there is a corrupt media file, bad connection between phone and your card's gold contact pads, or most any other problem with your removable SD memory card, then Android's Media Storage app will make your device's processor work like crazy, trying to build media meta data libraries. This is just one example of a service app that can result in over heating due to problems with SD card.