apps won't install

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you installing from Google Play or some other source? Does this happen on both wi-fi and mobile data? Do you get an error message, or does it just stop?

anon8196564

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
It happens on my phone hence why I posted it on the s4 mini forum. It just says installing but nothing happens.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What exactly happens when you install an app from Google Play? Do you see the Downloading progress bar? Does it then change to the Installing progress bar? Afterwards, does the app page still show an "Install" button, or an "Open" button?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, try going to the App Manager, select Google Play Store, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Do the same for Download Manager. Now try again.

anon8196564

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
That didn't work however I restarted the phone and that seems to have worked. Thanks for your help though.

Posted via Android Central App

rejuvo9987

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Apps I install from the Google Play Store will not install on my Galaxy S4 phone. All I see is the "Installed", but no "Open" button after I go through the install process. Unsure why this is happening. Tried this for Skype and Chromecast.

Probably worth mentioning that when I first got my phone, I removed much of the bloatware. During this process, I removed the Google Play Store app, not realizing what it was. Tried to reinstall, but nothing in the phone world seems to be that easy. Any ideas how to get back on track would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Rick Bawaan

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Piecing together fixes found at other forums, I was able to resolve my problem. I had been attempting to install an app from the Google Play and watched as the "Installing" screen never changed unless I ended the process. My next attempt was to remove the Play app and try to re-install from an APK. That too, failed. Constant reboots failed to resolve the issue as I'd eventually get the "Package Helper" failure alert.

I saw that others were able to fix the alert by removing or unmounting there SD card. I pulled the SD card and turned the phone back on. This prompted the completion of an Amazon app install that had apparently failed. Once the Amazon downloaded app installation completed, I was able to re-install Google Play. I then tried installing the original app from the Play store and that worked. Unfortunately, once I put the SD card back in and rebooted my phone, I started getting the Package Helper alert again. I am still able to install applications from Google but I was stuck with another failed Amazon app install until I pulled the SD card and rebooted again.

To be thorough, I put in another SD card. Same issues. Package Helper error and Amazon app store installation failure. Pulling the card and rebooting allowed the Amazon app to install. There is nothing wrong with either SD card as I can read and write to both. One was newly formatted. I forgot to mention that I am also unable to move apps to the SD card. This was not a problem in the past.

Allen Razdow

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Same problem with brand new M9. This is a serious problem and disappointment because it makes transition from my LG phone difficult - slowing me down in my work. Every app install is a lengthy uncertain process with more than one reboot. My wife who is not an Apple fan recently went to an iPhone 5C from endless Android problems and never looked back. I may do the same. Would be great if Google spent less money buying robotics companies and other hubritic playthings, and spent it on the basics: solid product management and quality assurance. Being the open standard is a big responsibility and Google needs to get serious about it or the whole industry will suffer.

ginmi

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I have a similar problem but with a slight variation.

I have an Android TV stick which has worked fine for the last 20 months or so.

Recently however, I turned it on one day and it seemed like it resets itself back to the factory image for some reason. Annoying but ok, I'll deal with it.

Problem is I can't install any NEW apps from the Play store. All existing apps (that came with the factory image), seem to be updating just fine but when I try to install a new app, the download progress bar reaches anything from 80% to 100% and just hangs there without installing anything.

As I said, this is only with new apps I am trying to download. All apps that came in the factory image (e.g. YouTube, Netflix) are updating without any issues.

Android version is 4.2.2

Any ideas anyone?

gambitsdaname

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I just got the oneplus 2 i downloaded the apk from a forum and then put it on the phone. Tried to install did the unknown source thing started to install then it says APP NOT INSTALLED

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just got the oneplus 2 i downloaded the apk from a forum and then put it on the phone. Tried to install did the unknown source thing started to install then it says APP NOT INSTALLED

I would be very cautious about downloading apk files from any forum or filesharing site, because there's no way for you to know how clean the file is. You really won't know if it's a valid APK either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv