Wi-Fi is turning itself on by itself

cty68955

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm on 4.2.2. Don't want to upgrade to 4.4.2 due to many negative feedback. But this issue just started a week or 2 ago. The wi-fi seems to turn itself on about every 4-6 hours when the phone is sitting idle and locked. I haven't narrowed it down further than that. When I unlock the phone, it connects to wi-fi right away, then I have to go back in and turn it off again. I like to keep it off to conserve the battery. No need to have it active when I hardly use it. I have the notification to notify when near open networks is unchecked. The mobile data does not turn itself on. Seems to be just the wi-fi. Any suggestions?

IamMasterChat

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm on 4.2.2. Don't want to upgrade to 4.4.2 due to many negative feedback. But this issue just started a week or 2 ago. The wi-fi seems to turn itself on about every 4-6 hours when the phone is sitting idle and locked. I haven't narrowed it down further than that. When I unlock the phone, it connects to wi-fi right away, then I have to go back in and turn it off again. I like to keep it off to conserve the battery. No need to have it active when I hardly use it. I have the notification to notify when near open networks is unchecked. The mobile data does not turn itself on. Seems to be just the wi-fi. Any suggestions?

My battery doctor app is killing wifi connectivity every time my phone turns the screen off.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you have any location-aware apps that might be triggering the location search? If so, and if your settings are poised for this, that would use WiFi and I can't recall if this was introduced in Android 4.2 or 4.3 but the Location Settings clearly state, especially for Google Apps, that it can use your WiFi even if off. The strange thing is it should only turn on, get location info, and shut itself off, you wouldn't even see the WiFi icon light up.

cty68955

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I do have it set to get location data using only wi-fi or mobile data. Some weather apps might be trying to get my location, but I agree that it has always been set that way and I've never had this issue before. The issue just appeared recently. I would like to avoid having to uninstall each app and wait to see if the trouble is gone, but that may be my only option.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You could install a battery saving app and have it kill your WiFi automatically, maybe. But yeah, I agree, you shouldn't have to uninstall the apps if they were working fine before.

Are there any apps you RECENTLY installed though? Or how about your Advanced WiFi settings? Is the Auto Network Switch selected? The auto connection timer active?

cty68955

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I've only installed 2 games since then and force stopped both, but issue still occurs, I could try to uninstall them and see what happens. Where are those Advanced Settings? When I go to Wi-Fi, then select advanced settings I only have 2 options, Network Notification and Keep wi-fi on during sleep. Both of which are turned off.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Huh, that's odd. Well, I don't own a mini so I don't know if they removed those options from there, but on my phone I also have the options I mentioned. :(

You don't have to uninstall the games, just 'freeze' them in the application manager (turn off). That way, if it works, you know it was one of those (then you can choose if you uninstall), but if it doesn't, you know it had nothing to do with that and you can keep your games.

It IS a possibility though, especially with games that rely on ads.

Arcindo Lucas

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
There are always those who want one thing and who wants the opposite.
I have also S4 Mini GT-i9195.
I have it since the day 19/9 only.
I began to see him for irisonline.pt television to fall asleep.
To numb the program installed the application sleep timer and everything worked well.
From one point left to activate the wifi and ess is the current situation which can not get out. Already put back the settings under Settings> Accounts> Backup & reset> Reset settings and have also done the hard reset but nothing decided or changed the situation. And the wifi never active
-----------------------------------------
PT
Há sempre quem queira uma coisa e quem queira a contrária.
Eu tenho também S4 Mini GT-i9195.
Tenho-o desde o dia 19/9 apenas.
Comecei a ver nele televisão para adormecer por irisonline.pt.
Para adormecer o programa instalei a aplicação sleep timer e tudo funcionava bem.
A partir de certa altura o wifi deixou de activar e é ess a situação actual da qual não consigo sair. Já repús as definições em definições > Contas > Cópia de Segurança e reposição > Repor definições e também já fiz o Hard Reset mas nada resolveu ou alterou a situação. E o wifi nunca activa
2014-10-07_10-02-23 Wifi não activa.jpg

Há alguma sugestão do que fazer?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon